[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3d blast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: Ni3AWru_.png (292KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Ni3AWru_.png
292KB, 512x512px
How good is 3d blast?
I've stayed away from it since people throw around that it SUXXXX
but i already beat sonic 1-3&K and now I need more SONIC
>>
>>3647367
>more SONIC
3D Blast is poor as a Sonic game, but decent on its own. It mostly eschews the platforming, but it's a good isometric action/adventure. The speed feels kinda redundant in it though: the screen is too small to see where you're rushing. And Sonic's control is more like billiards than pinball.

Overall, it feels as a different game packaged as Sonic. But a good game nonetheless. Just don't expect anything like previous games.
>>
>>3647367
It's okay, I enjoyed it as a kid. The Saturn port is superior to the megadrive version if you want to take a chance with uoYabause.
>>
>>3647367
>but i already beat sonic 1-3&K
play Sonic CD
>>
>>3647403
I would but i dont have a sega cd and i wanna play on muh hardware
Just gonna try to beat Dynamite Headdy since i already own it )
>>
>>3647447
The Steam and 360 versions of Sonic CD are far better anyways. They have true widescreen support and let you choose between the American and Japanese OST's.
>>
>>3647367
It's better than Donkey Kong Country at least.
>>
>>3647505
> Comparing a side scrolling collectathon platformer to an isometric action/adventure game
>>
>>3647367
I had more fun with it than most.
>>
It's the first game I was truely disappointed with as a child, but it's not bad. The music is alright and I like the snow Zone.
>>
Play Sonic CD (Taxman ports are great), and then play Sonic Advance since it's the closest thing to the classics.

Then maybe play the GG/MS games, particularly Triple Trouble. Harder and different, but still decent quick paced platformers.

Play Spinball before 3D Blast too. 3D Blast isn't a bad game itself, but it's definitely not really a Sonic game. Just kind of a bland isometric platformer.
>>
File: sonic.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
sonic.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>>3647367
Don't listen to the people suggesting CD, it's poor.

Try out the Master System and Game Gear Sonics, those are actually pretty great.
>>
>>3647743
>Hating CD
>Ignoring that Sonic Blast is even more hated than 3D Blast

OP, you should try 3D Blast, it's decent. Just don't expect it to be as good as 1-3&K and CD.
>>
>>3647743
>CD
>Poor
It's miles ahead of the GG/MS games, friendo.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 465x498px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 465x498px
>>3647795
Bollocks. None of the 8-bit Sonics have lazy halfarsed level designs like CD.
>>
>>3647845
>i was poor as a kid and couldn't afford SCD so I have to shit on it now because of bad memories
The only fucking possible reason I can think of for fucking nugamer babies to hate on SCD.
>>
>>3647881
>nugamer
Opinion discarded
>>
>>3647367
It's a good game, just not really much of a Sonic game as most people have pointed out.

As for which version to play, it doesn't matter. Asking which version is superior on /vr/ will only lead to shitflinging about which one has the better soundtrack.
>>
>>3647367
3D Blast is not good, but it's also not terrible. You should play it anyway just to see what it's like. Just don't set your expectations high.
>>
>>3647845
The entirety of the Sonic 2 port to GG is so halfassed you can't even see the first boss.

I mean I enjoy them but CD is much better. It's not halfassed level design, they're purposely supposed to stop you from reaching max speed for awhile, as opposed to Sonic 2, a game made to show off "lel look at Sonic outrun the screen!"
>>
>>3647367
it's kind of shit
nice visuals and music in both Saturn and Genesis versions
special stages are really cool on Saturn and suck ass on Genesis
hunting for that one last enemy you didn't see is shit and Sonic's controls are really slippery and any time it has you do any remote amount of actual platforming, you'll want to power the machine off

>>3647845
Sonic 2 on GG/SMS totally did.
shit, Sonic Chaos had really lazy and short stage design, and I kind of like that game.

8-bit Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble are pretty solid in terms of stages though. Triple Trouble has some really questionable bits late on, like in Robotnik Winter, but it's overall a properly designed game.

>>3648437
>It's not halfassed level design, they're purposely supposed to stop you from reaching max speed for awhile
something deliberately designed to be annoying on purpose doesn't make it good

I like bits of CD's stages, but as a whole, they're not great. They're chunky and feel more like a chore to traverse than anything.
Wacky Workbench is a tad less shit than I remember though, and Stardust Speedway is a lot worse than I remembered.

kind of wish Metallic Madness didn't blow ass when played as a Sonic CD stage where you're looking for the generator, because it's actually pretty decent as a straight get-to-the-end stage

>lel look at Sonic outrun the screen!
S2 has a lot of issues (really, I'm starting to like S2 less and less the more I play it vs S3&K, a game I'm liking more and more as time goes on), but the only stage in the game that remotely feels like that is Chemical Plant.

>>3647770
Sonic Blast being ridiculously bad is a meme.
like, it's totally not a good game and every time I play it, I stop wanting to halfway through
and it's kind of really fucking ugly
but I'd almost say it's better than Sonic 2 on GG/SMS

almost
>>
Garbo. Slippery and awkward to control.

Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Shuffle were the shit games before the series itself went to hell.
>>
>>3647393
>3D Blast is poor as a Sonic game, but decent on its own.

I owned the game when I was a 90s teenager, and this is pretty spot on. It's an enjoyable game as long as you aren't expecting it to be like the other sonic games. It's more like a weird spinoff collectathon that does its own thing. Has some good classic 16 bit music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2eM7Hu72Gc&list=PL2B69BAADE72B245D&index=19
>>
>>3648825
I wonder why they changed the music for Saturn. Awful decision.

I'd say I like most of the game, except for the last few levels. They have tons of shit trying to kill you and frankly I feel bored playing them.
>>
This game sucks. How did Sega manage to make such a terrible game in 1996?

Look at what Rare and Nintendo were doing in 1996. Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64... Yeah, let that sink in a minute. Super Mario 64 and Sonic 3D Blast came out the same year.

To top it all off, 3D Blast's gameplay isn't even original. It's a ripoff of Snake Rattle and Roll, a 1990 NES game made by Rare. Yeah, Sega does what nintendon't, but apparently they won't extend the same courtesy to Rare.

I can't even play Sonic 3D Blast for more than five minutes. I look at the clunky slowness, the gaudy visuals, the horrible aluminum foil music courtesy of Traveler's Tales, and I think... really, Sega? This is what you thought was good enough to compete with Rare and Nintendo?

Obviously they thought this game was hot stuff, because they ported it to every machine they had. This game was available on Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, and even Saturn.

They should have made the cartridge grey, with the words "rest in peace" on it. Because that's what it is, it's Sonic's headstone, an interactive epitaph to Mario's rival.
>>
>>3649865
> Look at what Rare and Nintendo were doing in 1996. Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64... Yeah, let that sink in a minute. Super Mario 64 and Sonic 3D Blast came out the same year.
Now it's true that 3D Blast didn't come to par with these. It's also true it wasn't related to previous Sonic games much.

But the truth is, it simply wasn't intended to be a flagship people hoped for. Due to a new drama unfolding inside Sega, Sonic Extreme was cancelled, leaving them without a headliner Sonic game in 1996. 3D Blast wasn't supposed to be THAT big of a game, just one of the last big games for Genesis and an "answer" of sorts to DKC. But then it had to fill in for Extreme, and that's when they hastily ported it to Saturn.

Of course compared to SM64 it looked more like a joke. It wasn't the new generation of games, it was obviously made by different people and it didn't even feel like a Sonic game. But was it that bad on its own? Not really.

> To top it all off, 3D Blast's gameplay isn't even original. It's a ripoff of Snake Rattle and Roll, a 1990 NES game made by Rare. Yeah, Sega does what nintendon't, but apparently they won't extend the same courtesy to Rare.
Outside of basic mechanics and checkered floor, it's a very different game. More of a platformer with "billiards" physics. For an isometric platformer—a pretty rare kind of game really—, it actually controls pretty well and is interesting enough to keep playing.

Starting from zone 2, it eschews the speed almost completely, but becomes a pretty good standalone isometric action/adventure—except with Sonic characters slapped in there for no real reason.

>This game was available on Game Gear, Genesis, Sega CD, and even Saturn.
Check your facts. Game Gear version is called Sonic Blast and it's a completely different game, a usual side-scrolling platformer, albeit with similar graphics. And Sega CD? No. There wasn't anything for it.
>>
Sonic 3D Blast is the best game ever made.
>>
>>3649865
Aluminum foil music? I hope you're talking about the Saturn soundtrack and not the bitchin Genesis soundtrack, made by musicians that are still with Sonic Team today.
>>
>>3650815
I wouldn't exactly hold up modern Sonic Team as a beacon of anything good.
>>
>>3648437
Why would you play Sonic 1, 2, and Chaos on GG when they're on MS?
>>
>>3651153
Triple Trouble (the best Aspect Sonic) can run on the Master now too.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Triple_Trouble_SMS
>>
>>3647367
>but i already beat sonic 1-3&K and now I need more SONIC
Play the first two Master System games. Unlike 3D Blast they're actually good.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.