[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mediocre but technically impressive games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg (28KB, 378x264px) Image search: [Google]
Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg
28KB, 378x264px
Miyamoto was right about this one.
>>
File: download.png (3KB, 134x228px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3KB, 134x228px
thank god, a shitpost containment thread
>>
reminder that the whole "shiggy shits on DKC" is a hoax invented by a western journalist and nobody will ever be able to get a real source because the original interview wasn't recorded and there isn't any literal japanese transcription of it either.
>>
>>3645692
I hope this is the case because DKC plays like every Mario game Shiggy so proudly endorses.
>>
>>3645701

It's stupid to think Shiggy shittalked it, he helped produce the game.

At most, I would believe he was against pre-rendered graphics and embraced traditional 2D, but I don't believe the "mediocre game" part.
>>
>>3645701
>>3645710
>>3645692
Shiggy was just salty because DKC2 outsold Yoshi's Island
>>
>>3645668
>technically impressive
How so? It didn't really push the SNES' hardware.
>>
>>3645786
Pre-rendered graphics were very fresh for the time when the game came out.
>>
>>3645786
The music and graphics are so good
Does it almost count as another mario game
>>
>>3645796
It's just CG images slapped on sprites. Even the Amiga could've done that.
>>
>>3645782

The quote about shiggy supposedly saying DKC is mediocre is from before DKC2 existed.
>>
>>3645816

Could've, but did it? If it's done for the first time it's a technological achievement. That's what an achievement is.
>>
>>3645829
DKC wasn't the first pre-rendered videogame, though...
>>
File: panzerdragoon.jpg (26KB, 423x308px) Image search: [Google]
panzerdragoon.jpg
26KB, 423x308px
It's just dragging a cursor onto stuff. Boring.
>>
>>3645851

It's just pressing buttons, wtf
>>
>>3645837
It's not about pushing hardware or setting the precedent. It was about the impact. DKC was the first console game to cause such an impact with pre-rendered 3D—not in the least bit because of the level of its execution. It made teens' jaws drop in 1994 and that was what counted. It sold gorillions of copies, spawned numerous imitators and set a trend for many games to come.

Similarly, before Mortal Kombat there was Pit Fighter. But when someone mentions "fighting game with digitized graphics", I doubt that you'll remember Pit Fighter first. And yes—MK is technically just "photos slapped on sprites". But it didn't stop it from selling like hotcakes.
>>
File: 1449234569273.jpg (13KB, 228x185px) Image search: [Google]
1449234569273.jpg
13KB, 228x185px
>>3645851
Kill
Your
Self
>>
>>3645668

Miyahon can chill out.
>>
Well no shit, it was fucking marketed as "LOL THIS IS THREE DEE GUYS" in the advent of 3d gaming, using the excuse that they created sprites from 3d models.

It was a gimmick from day fucking one, and a very mediocre game. It's not BAD, mind you, just nowhere close to the quality of the best 2d platformers of the time.

And it was an early indication of where the industry would go later in the 90s, graphics and style over substance.
>>
>>3645978

>it's the style over substanceposter again
>>
File: youyouyou (2).gif (229KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
youyouyou (2).gif
229KB, 500x480px
>>
>>3645668
Miyamoto never said he thought the game was bad

It's literally "mew under the truck"-tier rumor.
Stop believing baseless shit. You are an adult.
>>
File: yi.jpg (157KB, 640x480px)
yi.jpg
157KB, 640x480px
>>3645668

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
>>
DKC1 was amazing for being a western platform game, if it weren't that DKC2 is probably the best retro platformer of all time we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

DKC was an amazing game, even if you don't put visuals into consideration.

Now I, Robot on the other hand...... all gimmick.
>>
>>3645668
I've seen people on /vr/ talking about DKC being mediocre, but nothing consistent was ever said to back up this idea.

>>3645978
>a different art style is a gimmick

Makes you think about the mentality of the people spitting out the word "gimmicky" to attack DKC.
>>
This game is the whole reason i copped a snes
>>
DKC being good is a meme. Only 2 is great.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.