[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the /vr/ Elder Scrolls games good? Are any of them bad? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: classic tes games.png (910KB, 576x720px) Image search: [Google]
classic tes games.png
910KB, 576x720px
Are the /vr/ Elder Scrolls games good? Are any of them bad? How buggy are they compared to Bethesda's more recent games?

As someone who joined the series with Oblivion and has trouble playing Morrowind (which is a shame, because I've heard so many great things about the story, and I fall asleep watching YouTube playthroughs), is there any hope that I could actually get used to playing any of these, or am I doomed to be a casual forevermore?
>>
>>3645410

Morrowind and the expansions are the best of the series.
>>
>>3645418
So I've heard (well, except for Tribunal; that one was apparently kind of meh), but Morrowind isn't /vr/.
>>
>>3645410
Arena is a straightforward clone of UU and Legends of Valour, Daggerfall is its more ambitious and buggier sequel, Battlespire is a buggy and broken dungeon crawl, and Redguard is an adventure game.
>>
>>3645410
Arena & Daggerfall have a certain charm and innovation, but both are riddled with bugs and do not compare well to newer games.

Redguard, i think, was decent, if you can get it to run, it might require an old version of Windows. It departs from the previous games with more of a focus on characters, story and puzzle solving. It could probably be classified as action-adventure. It probably has bugs, it certainly has poor compatibility.

Can't say much on Battlespire.
>>
If you can't play Morrowind you should avoid /vr/ WRPGs entirely.
>>
>>3645793

Daggerfall has been community patched to fuck so it's totally fine.
>>
>>3645410
I can't find Battlespire anywhere no matter how hard I try.

I tried getting into Daggerfall, but the mice in the first dungeon keep fucking up my mage so hard, and I kinda gave up desu, I know it makes me sound like a casual.

Morrowind is my favorite out of the whole series, I started playing it in 2013 and I've been hooked on it so much, the atmosphere, setting, flora, characters and quests are a 10/10, it's also the comfiest out of the whole series, I love taking the cabin near the lake and hearing the rain hit the roof of the house while I'm inside with a lit lantern and a bed-roll.

I can't believe how Bethesda made a solid game like Morrowind when they keep releasing shit like Fallout 3, 4 and Skyrim.
>>
Is Redguard worth playing? I always forget about the non-mainline TES games. Apparently the J2E phone games weren't bad.
>>
File: Ra'Virr.jpg (11KB, 267x328px) Image search: [Google]
Ra'Virr.jpg
11KB, 267x328px
I hate to speak solely on Morrowind since it's not /vr/ but...

OP just go back and play morrowind until you love it. It's one of those games that takes a little while to click. I played the XBox version shortly after it came out (the reviews at the time were really into 'it takes literal hours to walk from one side of the map to another!' which sounded mindblowing) and I basically hated it. Came back to it a couple years later and now it's probably my favorite game.
>>
File: 5k3nMPk.jpg (176KB, 883x879px) Image search: [Google]
5k3nMPk.jpg
176KB, 883x879px
You really should give Morrowind another go. Beyond just being fantastic it also has a lot of stuff going for it mod wise.

OpenMW is a bunch of modders who were sick of Bethesdas shit and made their own engine from scratch. It's now about as stable as retail if not more so. Bring the engine into the modern era. I wouldn't be surprised if it outclasses the Skyrim engine before long.

Or the project Tamriel Rebuilt who took Bethesda's original vision for Morrowind was to make a game like it at the scale of all of Tamreil. Bethesda realized this was too ambitious so they scaled it down to just all of Morrowind until they realized it was too ambitious so they scaled it down to just Vvardenfell. Not like the team at Tamriel Rebuilt who set out to make all of Tamreil in Morrowind until they realized this was too ambitious so they scaled it down to just all of Morrowind. But picking up the slack is a mod community called Project Tamriel who is slowly making the other provinces of Tamriel one mod at a time. So in a few years expect to see something of that scale starting to emerge.

I imagine your one of those people who dislike the combat though, huh? Well if that's the case check out this autists video ya lazy cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvSiiEbtuQ
>>
Might and Magic 6 is like Daggerfall but actually fun.
>>
>>3646132
Yah as far as vr wrpgs might and Magic is easily the best series
>>
>>3645534

I dunno, I LOVED Tribunal. I thought Bloodmoon was the one that was meh, but then again, that could mostly come down to the annoying-as-fuck "Restore the Power of the Skaal" quest.
>>
They suck.
Empty boring generic worlds with sucky lore.

As a sandbox to roleplay in its great, a feat of software engineering and all that, sure, but Gameplay-wise they are just really boring.
>>
I played Skyrim first, and then decided to go back and check out the older games. Morrowind is almost unplayable, and not because I'm bad at retro vidya. The hit detection is fucking awful.
>>
>>3646223
Shame about the current owners of the series.
>>
>>3646305
You realize every weapon strike is a dice roll, and "hitting" the enemy is based on stats not physics, correct?
>>
>>3645534
>>3646294
Tribunal is basically Oblivion 0.1 alpha version.
Bloodmoon is basically Skyrim 0.1 alpha version.
>>
>>3646330
Yes and that's a ridiculous fucking system. The game should at least tell you when it rolls a miss, like in the Mana games.
>>
>>3645885
guy could have been a chad but he never stopped the vidya
>>
>>3645410
Arena is buggy as fuck but mages have some crazy spells here(things like destroying walls in dungeons to make shortcuts etc.) which may make it fun for magic character. The other classes straight up aren't fun though.

Daggerfall is buggy but most of those problems with it can be easily solved HOWEVER the main problems will always be there - badly developed systems(tones/attitudes in conversations for example), procedurally generated spaghetti dungeons, which make teleport spells a must because sometimes you just won't be able to get out of there, and most of the game looks like Montana. Large open spaces with nothing in them. Still if you can get past the fact that dungeons will always be a pain(okay, they're fine first 2-3 times, then they become a fucking slog) it's a very good game, even if most of its potential wasn't realised.

Haven't played the others but I've heard that Battlespire isn't bad.

What problems do you have with Morrowind? Combat system? While it might sound weird it hasn't changed much so... yeah.
>>3645860
>I can't find Battlespire anywhere no matter how hard I try.
https://www.gog.com/game/an_elder_scrolls_legend_battlespire
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.