[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/repro/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 05XdMyd.jpg (110KB, 1022x367px) Image search: [Google]
05XdMyd.jpg
110KB, 1022x367px
Anon, what's your opinion on reproduction carts?
Are you an original cart fascist or you accept reproductions?
Which is the best place to buy repros?
>>
>>3643779
Reproduction carts are only worth it for translations or otherwise unavailable cartridge games.

If you are going to buy a reproduction of Earthbound, you may as well just emulate or throw your money out the window.
>>
>>3643779
How much autism do you require to be able to tell a fake from a legit cart?
>>
File: OP.png (177KB, 500x375px)
OP.png
177KB, 500x375px
>>3643779
>side-by-side comparison of a bootleg to a "real" cart
>doesn't have any indicators showcasing how to tell them apart
yeah okay
>>
>>3643779

I only buy reproductions of unreleased games with english translation patches like:

>Brandish 2
>Bahamut Lagoon
>Seiken Densetsu 3
>Front Mission: Gun Hazard

I'm in the market for Final Fantasy 2 and 3 NES repros but people want like 40 bucks for them and I'm not willing to do that

>get a flashcart
I prefer to have individual carts and I know flashcarts are more economical. I have an N64 one and a PC-Engine/TG-16 one because I don't have any desire to pay outrageous prices for them. N64 is largely a party machine anyways and people don't give a fuck.

For NES/SNES I do prefer actual carts though.
>>
File: MoonCrystalRepro.jpg (515KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
MoonCrystalRepro.jpg
515KB, 3840x2160px
I'm making all the repros I need from NES to Famicom, SNES and GB myself.
I honestly don't give a fuck about people crying about them.
>>
>>3643830
You can see the difference for yourself. The fake one has a larger Nintendo logo; a larger Nintendo seal; an ID serial in larger, unbold font; Background blue is darker; It lacks the tiny white swirl on the upper left corner (that's often a big giveaway).

There are even more differences, but those are the most glaring ones.
>>
>>3643840
I actually did a really basic cost analysis and found that it would be cheaper overall to make reproductions of all an entire set.

I've sold a few repros to people. Mainly retards. I've tricked a few people into getting fake earthbounds but they're faggot shelf collectors anyways.

If you don't care about authenticity, figuring out how to make repros is definitely the way to get a "complete set"
>>
>>3643850
ok, then what happens if they get a pixel-perfect scan of the original label?
how could you tell if someone is trying to pull a fast one without taking out the shell and checking out the pcb
>>
>>3643840
how do you make them?
order shells online and dump roms to a pcb?
>>
>>3643858

Easiest way is to open the damn thing up and look at the board.

It's also basically impossible to get a good colour match. If you know what it's supposed to look like, it's a clear tell.

Opening it will always yield a 100% way to tell if its a fake.
>>
File: trip.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
trip.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>3643853
Sadly selling is probably not really worth it that much anymore.
At least not with the current flood of chinese bootlegs.
Sold a few Trip Worlds before but it's not really worth the work anymore.
>>
>>3643858
Often the sticker itself won't be a perfect fit. In OP's pick you can see it's a bit too short on the vertical.
>>
Just emulate or flashcart
>>
>>3643860
For Moon Crystal I had to get another Hector game to get the correct shell since Hector was the only company to use that exact colored plastic.
The PCB itself is a donor as well since there aren't any repro Fami boards available.
>>
If it's a cheap alternative that allows someone to experience the game is if it's the real thing? Awesome, that is great. If it's someone trying to pass it off as legit? They can eat shit
>>
>>3643872
>emulate
not on real hardware
>flashcart
no separate cartridges, paradox of choice
>>
>>3643779
They're one of the best ways to relieve hipsters of money they might spend driving up prices of real stuff. I'm all for them

>>3643853
Sounds legit. kek

>>3643861
It's fools like you that I love duping with fake EB carts. The only 100% way to tell if its a fake is to look inside the ROM package. Assuming they didn't manage to accurately reproduce an actual MROM.
>>
>>3643779
Find them to be a waste of money unless they offer something you can't get with an original copy. That being said I don't mind their existence so long as they're not being sold by some asshole who is trying to pass it off as a real copy.
>>
>>3643907
>i've never made a repro in my life
>I think I'm being clever by parroting stuff I heard itt
>>
File: nwc.jpg (71KB, 1228x678px)
nwc.jpg
71KB, 1228x678px
I would only get a repro if the cartridge was a different color from the original
makes it so you can't get it confused with your real carts while also looking cool
>>
>>3643779
I mean as long as you're not trying to sell it off as a legit cart I don't really mind them, but I'd rather just emulate or use a flashcart.
>>
>>3643830
It's probably part of an article or a video.
>>
>>3643883
Not sure what your point is. Yes, if you try a different option the option will, indeed, be different.
>>
>>3644170
what was your point then
you were assuming the two you originally referred to were superior options
>>
>>3643882
This. There should be some obvious marker, like the word "reproduction" put on the label if there's any intention to sell the game.
>>
>>3644175
>what was your point then
I'm actually not the guy you initially replied to, but he was just stating his preference, which can't really be proven to be right or wrong.
>>
>>3644185
oh, must have misunderstood then
my bad
>>
>>3644145
there are professional repros out there and they put an indicator somewhere on the cart itself. For gameboy games they put it on the board where the nintendo logo would be.

there is a guy on etsy that makes some nice stuff.
>>
>>3643779
Repro carts should keep it interesting. Why would anyone make a repro of Super Mario All Stars, or of Super Double Dragon, or of Battle Toads and Double Dragon for the SNES?

That would be a real damn disgrace of an SNES cart!

Instead, someone should make a Mario all Stars for the NES, or a Double Dragon All Stars for the NES, or a Battle Toads and Battle Toads and Double Dragon and Double Dragon for the NES or SNES.

You people know you want it!
>>
>>3644264
unless it was a sports cart
>>
They are counterfeit items, and I always report anyone selling them. This practice is entirely malicious. It's like me saying I created a 'reproduction model' of the first Dr. Dre Beats headphone. The only people buying these are retro gamers that have been duped, or it's people trying to dupe local buyers.
>>
>>3644381
You mean 3d printed cart? Even then, the hell with repros of something like Super Double Dragon or BTDM. Now, a repro of Return of Double Dragon is forgiveable, as is one of Megaman and Bass. See, we're talking about what's not obnoxious to have floating around, and what we'd want for that is something like BTBTDDDD or Megaman &Bass and 7 and X.

Assuming they don't manage to replicate the Cx4 DSP chip. If they do start doing that, good for them!
>>
File: ambulance.jpg (94KB, 983x644px) Image search: [Google]
ambulance.jpg
94KB, 983x644px
It's the only way I can get shit like Twinkle Star and Devil's Crush MD for 10 bucks a pop at conventions. I could give a shit less if it's the real deal, I'm not paying out the ass for some bullshit collector value. All I care about is having a physical copy of the game on my shelf that plays a game I enjoy playing in my actual system.
>>
>>3644029
>i'm butt mad an adult called my bullshit
Top kek kid. And I don't make "repros". I make bootlegs. If some faggot on eBay wants to call them repros that's up to them.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.