[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking at getting a Sega CD. Anything I should know? I see a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Segacd2.jpg (14KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
Segacd2.jpg
14KB, 432x288px
Looking at getting a Sega CD. Anything I should know?
I see a lot of sellers on ebay selling broken ones that don't power on. Could it most likely be a broken fuse? Any other major issues they suffer?
Anything I should know about burning games?
Should I just not bother because of how clunky it is?
Share any knowledge you have.
>>
>>3641246
You'll spend more time fixing it than playing the handful of games worth playing.
Burn games at the lowest speed on taio juden dics from my jewbay store.
Actually there is something worth knowing about burning. There are a lot of shitty rips out there. Be careful and patient.
There are a few decent Japan exclusives that are playable without knowing moon. If you mastered the whole burning shitty rips successfully you'll know what you need to patch these. If not, a region free or multi bios mod is pretty easy and worth it.
>>
>>3641246
First one I bought "as is" had a broken CD lid, blown fuse, missing RF shielding and screws, and a non-functional limit switch for the laser sled, meaning botched tracking and ruined gears.

Second I bought as tested and working for 5x as much(with a paired Genesis); Blown fuse, dirty and literally buggy where the edge connector goes, and a completely calibrated laser that still isn't functioning properly after 6 or so hours of adjusting pots.

Unless you can test them in person, they really seem to just be a complete crap shoot as to whether you get a gem or a turn in terms of condition.
Either that or I'm just unlucky as shit with Sega CDs; Entirely possible.
>>
>>3641298
>Burn games at the lowest speed on taio juden dics
I see this posted a lot of times but is there any evidence that proves that either Taio CD-R's or burning at the lowest speed makes a burned copy better?
>>
>>3641372
it's not like you can burn at 1x on modern drives anyway, 16x minimum
>>
>>3641372
The lowest speed permitted may be 8x, so it's barely an issue anyway.

Taiyo Yudens are grade A media, it's just that they're practically the only ones available now, since Pioneer, TDK, Sony, Phillips and Hitachi/Maxell stopped making CDs, the only other ones available are possibly Verbatin/Mitsubushi chemicals, and those may have been outsourced somewhere other than Japan&Taiwan, and maybe Mitsui and Mitsumi, and one of those has issues while the other is fuckexpensive or maybe they're not even made anymore.
>>
>>3641401
I wonder who else is buying CD-Rs except us.
>>
>>3641405
Ubuntu users - nope, not anymore! Those using them for audio? And maybe picture CDs? And perhaps a few people with CDR cameras, and automatic backup software?
>>
>>3641448
DVD and blueray are more viable options for data backup. I see no real reason to buy CD-Rs apart from retro gaming and maybe those shitty karaoke machines
>>
File: 1467169841630.png (106KB, 396x448px) Image search: [Google]
1467169841630.png
106KB, 396x448px
I bought one off ebay not to long ago to play Snatcher. It was a combo with a Sega Genesis system, and at the time it was cheaper than buying just the Sega CD.

Something no one told me to look out for, besides the obvious things everyone else posted in this thread, was the battery that keeps track of your saves. Thankfully, all I had to do was clear my save files and it worked fine. I was getting an error that normally comes up when the battery is dead. They sell memory cards that plug into the system like a game, but they cost an arm and a leg.
>>
>>3641405
DJ here, I know some local club guys that still use them in their cdj's. Pioneer CD decks are still top notch shit and read mp3's off a cd, but most of us use solid state even in those.
>>
>>3641459
I said backup software, meaning something they're accustomed to that was made to work with CDs.

Oh yeah, and someone still using something like an Amiga system with only a CD writer.
>>
>>3641483
>NES-tan
Sweet. There's one I almost never see.
>>
>>3641401
I still can find CD-R's near me, but can you say for 100% certainty that anything burned with Taio will ALWAYS be perfect?
>>
>>3641534
Assuming they're not fakes, it will last much longer than some shitty moser baers or whatnot, that's the most persistent difference. If there's something wrong with your system, it obviously still could get flawed, writer compatibility and quality could also be an issue, there are firmware updates.
>>
What's the usual price for JP Model 1 Mega CD?
>>
>>3641298
>taio juden
>jewbay
u 8 the b8 m8

>>3641405
There are plenty of old systems that use CDs and can't be upgraded. And unlike floppies there aren't cheap emulators to replace the drives with. You might not run into either CDs or floppies in your day to day life but people who work with those systems use them all the time.
>>
>>3641246
Got mine cheap because was broken, didn't power on because sega put a shitty fuse that goes bad over time. Got the fuse replaced and carry on you can try to gamble and buy one for parts and try to revive it.

Just use a cd recorder (the older the better, I use an old plextor I have around and write at 4x) with some taiyo yuden cd or verbatim cd's and you are good to go, there's only like 10 or 15 games worth on the system so no worries, probably you'll play and replay everthing a couple hundred of times before the cd drives goes bad.
>>
>>3642138
>here are plenty of old systems that use CDs and can't be upgraded

Or they can't read cdr at all, I'm looking at you cdrom2...
>>
>>3642013
About how long would they last?
>>
>>3641298
>#
>You'll spend more time fixing it than playing the handful of games worth playing.

Only true if you get a model 1.
>>
>>3641405
DJs, music nerds, people who like to use CDs in cars/don't have an aux cable (I prefer using CD than mp3 players for my car). Not many anymore to be honest.
>>
I bought one from ebay for $40 (Model 2 with a matching Genesis attached) "as is, untested" - i.e., broken.

It wouldn't boot up with my Model 1 power supply, but all it needed was a new fuse. Replaced it with a fuse holder so it can be replaced easily.

So far it's been running fine for two years, using games burned on some ancient Verbatim discs I had lying around on a spindle.
>>
Model One's are unreliable pieces of shit and the only person on Ebay selling them regularly upcharges like 300 dollars for a replaced belt.

When confronted about the fact tons of other shit goes wrong like the capacitors, the seller acted like a bitch and said they were doing some amazing belt service. But that's no reason to charge over 300 dollars for a Model 1.

The Model 2's are far more reliable.
>>
Do you have to do any sort of hack to make a sega CD run pirated discs or is it like the Dreamcast?
>>
>>3643632

Can I use a model 2 with a model 1 Genesis?
>>
>>3643667

Yes, it'll just hang off awkwardly
>>
>>3643652

Consumer CD burners weren't teally a thing at the time so it's totally open, burn whatever the fuck you feel like

t. collectorfag who's never burned anything, though.
>>
>>3641246
Sega CDs barely even functioned when they were new. Good luck getting one at this point that even halfway works.
>>
>>3643667
Yeah, it will just hang weirdly. You need to get the expander that goes on the left.
>>
>>3643668
Unless you have the little shim that came with it, then it doesn't hang but you have a weird segmented block in your Sega CD.

>>3643652
It's the easiest system to pirate games on. No weird formats, copy protection, or disc compression necessary. IME you can just burn CDs on a Lite-On DVD burner at like 24x.
>>
>>3642805
???
Mine reads almost all CD-R's
>>
>>3642805
You're looking at your clapped out pos cdrom2. All mine read them fine.

>>3643495
>i never owned a model 2. only a model 1
That's cool.
>>
What battery does the internal RAM use? I have some leftover LIR2032 (rechargeable 2032, 3.6 V), will those work fine with it?
>>
File: big2.gif (28KB, 933x700px) Image search: [Google]
big2.gif
28KB, 933x700px
>>3641372
I can vouch for TY cds, games are more likely to not skip/misread on my pc-engine and psx

>>3641246
I will warn you that if you're in a pal region most ntsc games won't work properly on a pal unit without replacing/reflashing the bios with a region free one, which requires alot of desoldering/soldering. People will tell you an everdrive will get round this but that only works for ntsc units.
>>
>>3644768
I think the originals are ML2032. The extra 0.6V shouldn't be an issue but you can put in something to reduce it if you want.

>>3644857
Please tell me you're just parroting and never actually desoldered your bios.
>>
>>3642078
Around ¥20,000 on amazon
But you can buy it more cheaply on Yahoo! Auction.
>>
>>3644050

I've had a model 2 for years and the only problem I've had is forgetting to plug it in on occasion to charge the battery.

Meanwhile my Model 1 was a non-stop disaster with that fucking tray
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.