[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so much worse than Trigger?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: chrono-cross.jpg (38KB, 461x461px) Image search: [Google]
chrono-cross.jpg
38KB, 461x461px
Why is it so much worse than Trigger?
>>
Shittier graphics, more pretentious crap, battle system not as fun, less 'straight-to-the-point' and more time-wasting filler garbage, art style was crap. Just about everything was worse about it except the music. Actually, no, even the music isn't as good.

Everything I liked about the first Chrono Trigger is thrown out the window.
>>
This thread is going to suck.
>>
>>3637764
fpbp
>>
Chrono Cross isn't that bad
>>
>>3637787
It isn't. It's just a steep drop off from the original. Which, to be fair, most RPGs are.

They probably should have just called it something else and removed everything related to the original so people wouldn't directly compare the two.
>>
>>3637757
If it discarded any connections to Chrono Trigger and was instead its own game it probably would be better received, maybe event thought of as one of the best RPGs on the PS1.
>>
What's the point of having 500 playable characters if only 5 of them receive any actual development and are relevant to the story?
>>
>>3637796
this. it would've been much better off as a spiritual successor, without the CT connections shoehorned in.
>>
I've said this once and I'll say it again. Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger can't be compared objectively. Too different. Too unrelated.

And anybody who tells me that Cross is related to Trigger and gives me some bitch ass reasons like "facts" and "evidence" is going to get your shit smacked.

Chrono Cross would be a far better game if it had no connection at all to Chrono Trigger, period. But to even enjoy that game means I have to enjoy the fact that for all the effort I put in the first game, they just die anyways because lol offscreen invasion.
>>
>>3637839
>game would be better if it had no relation to this game
That makes no fucking sense considering that Cross has absolutely no relation to Trigger anyways but in name.
>>
>>3637850
Did you even play the game?
>>
>>3637853
No.
>>
File: CxafMWnUoAAMhsl.jpg (112KB, 846x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CxafMWnUoAAMhsl.jpg
112KB, 846x1200px
Why is she so perfect?
>>
File: chrono-cross-guile.jpg (37KB, 440x520px) Image search: [Google]
chrono-cross-guile.jpg
37KB, 440x520px
It's a masterpiece like no other. Its only flaw is Trigger.
>>
>>3637764
> battle system not as fun

This was my biggest complaint. RPGs that try and go too far outside the box but still have a turn based battle system are just rarely ever any good. RPGs live and die by the mechanics of their combat. I mean, I mostly play them for the stories and characters, but if the combat isn't fun then even a great story won't redeem it.
>>
>>3637757
t. triggernigga
>>
>>3637764
Artstyle, graphics, and music are really the best parts about it.

I love CC, and even I see the flaws in the sheer amount of characters, event padding, lack of weapon and skill variety, and the "choose 3-3-1 to win" battle system. There were good ideas mixed into those things, but far outweighed by how poor the execution was.
It's not a total POS, but it's not a "flawed masterpiece" either. It's really just a game that had too "high concept" of ideas for its genre, and the misfortune of being a sequel to a beloved game that attracts a fanbase that abhors change on some level or another.
>>
Only 1/4 of the original team behind Trigger worked on Cross.
>>
>>3638142
>RPGs that try and go too far outside the box but still have a turn based battle system are just rarely ever any good.

It works more often than not. Legend of Legaia, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts, Legend of Dragoon, all of the SaGas. I know I'm missing a lot, but the point is there's no harm and wedging yourself away from traditional turn based combat while still trying to make a unique system.

Cross' big fault is that it gives a lot of cool solutions to problems that aren't hard at all. Accuracy is a non factor so you just spam 3's. Elemental attacks don't matter so you just spam 3's. Healing is rarely every remotely necessary so you just spam 3's. If enemies required some sort of strategy in regards to hitting them with elements, accuracy not be a gimme, and had some sort of customization element, Cross wouldn't be as easy and mundane to play as it is. This is, of course, just for the combat. It has a whole lot more problems then that
>>
>>3638254

Was I the only one who actually enjoyed the battle system from Cross?

I remember several times where I'd have to make full use of the flexibility and freedom of the combat to win some of the tougher fights. Sure, 95% of the battles devolve into 3-3-1, but there were MANY times I was thankful for the ability to swap between any character's "turn" and pop critical magic/abilities at exactly the right moment, narrowly avoiding disaster.

The battle system was ahead of its time, and many modern RPGs try to do in far too many words what Chrono Cross was doing in just a handful.
>>
>>3638397
>Was I the only one who actually enjoyed the battle system from Cross?

It was fun when I was younger, but as a reasoning adult it's not challenging in the least, and a lot of a games "game" comes from providing a player a challenge to overcome. So sure you'd sometime 3-3 ability but it's still you peppering stuff into your 3-3-1 shuffle. In fact the only times I remember breaking the 3-3-1 cycle is on the island when Magical Dreamers is playing if your party sucked, against Miguel as he HolyDragSwd's your ass into submission, before the frozen flames boss fight, whoever that was, getting extra sword from spooky ghost, and against Dragon God, and that's it. Oh and maybe once in the place where Ancient Dragon's Fort plays.

The rest of the time you're just 3-3-1ing through the entire game. Heal? Who the hell cares, if you goof up just guaranteed run away and come back to 3-3-1 some more. I can't say Chrono Cross did better, but it did prettier. We don't get a more good looking 3D combat system in an RPG until the new generation (in my opinion.

Can't say I agree that it was before it's time either. Xenogears didn't give me that beautiful sound when you hit with a 3, but it did offer a visually amazing combo system. Shadow Hearts wheel was fun to play with. Comboing in Valkyrie Profile was amazing. I don't remember Legaia well enough but I do remember Wild Arms 3, and stocking up resources to do a big attack in that was a LOT more fun than using any magic in Cross.

Again this is all just opinion depending heavily on my memory alone. It's been about 6 years at least since I've replayed Cross.
>>
File: kidd full hair.jpg (49KB, 416x730px) Image search: [Google]
kidd full hair.jpg
49KB, 416x730px
Why is she so perfect?
>>
File: smug jester (2).jpg (33KB, 222x285px) Image search: [Google]
smug jester (2).jpg
33KB, 222x285px
>>3638541
Don't you get tired of this?
>>
>>3637939
>having a clown fetish
Dude what's wrong with you
>>
File: lmaoing at your wife.jpg (345KB, 600x560px) Image search: [Google]
lmaoing at your wife.jpg
345KB, 600x560px
>>3638545
On the contrary, I relish in it.
>>
>>3638541
Crikey m8 that Sheila gotz washboard abs plus she 100% Straylian that a girl.
>>
>>3637757

Really plagued by suikoden syndrome.
>>
>>3638662

which is?
>>
>>3638662
not even. Suikoden at least has quests for those motherfuckers after you recruit them.
>>
Chrono Trigger wasn't good enough to begin with. Enter, crappier sequel.
>>
>>3638725
Compared to other SNES games what made it average to mediocre?
>>
>>3638674
too many characters
>>
>>3638754
How does one game being arguably good make another one arguably bad. What are your reasons?
>Chrono Nigger
Nevermind. You're one of those.
>>
>>3638760
Macros. Something that every JRPG should have tbqh.
>>
>>3637824
So you can pick and choose the ones you wanna use, if there were less characters there wouldn't be an onion knight, a luchador priest, a clown skeleton and a life sized voodoo doll and that's not a CC I wanna play
>>
>>3638775
Sounds pretty LOLSORANDUMB.

At least Chrono Nigger's characters had a theme going on to them.
>>
>>3638803
>LOLSORANDUMB
>Chrono Nigger

you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded
>>
>>3638812
Sorry, did I chrono trigger you ?
>>
>>3637757
That chick's aussie accent really irked me, I could only play like an hour...
>>
>>3638818
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>3638819
It's not like you hear her talk.
>>
chrono cross has the best vidya ost ever composed by man

yasunori mitsuda can fuck my bitch
>>
>>3638898
xenogears music is better
>>
>>3638832
My little kid brain couldn't handle it lol, maybe I'll pop the cd back in since it's been so long
>>
>>3637839
>And anybody who tells me that Cross is related to Trigger and gives me some bitch ass reasons like "facts" and "evidence" is going to get your shit smacked
Am I being rused?
>>
File: 1401229702028.jpg (114KB, 422x640px) Image search: [Google]
1401229702028.jpg
114KB, 422x640px
>>3638608
You're assuming some awful things about me, m8

It's not a fetish when she's the only clown I would fug. And don't try to tell me you wouldn't
>>3638615
>filename

I see, it's good that you're enjoying this
>>
>>3638969
>>3638819
Most of the characters have accents

I'm surprised there still isn't a mod that removes them
>>
>>3638803
BRUH turnip was baller as fuck and was always in my endgame party. you just don't like a little goof in your game cause you can't have fun
>>
>>3637757
Square had already lost the plot by that stage.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.