[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Point & Click help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (114KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
114KB, 250x333px
Hey guys, steam is having an autum sale and i have some money to spend on some old point and click games, what series should i spend the rare spare time that i have on? Or rather, where should i start? Or what game in particular should i start with?

Space quest series
King's quest series
Broken Sword series
Police quest series
Monkey Island series
Woodruff and the schnibble
Gabriel knight
Myst series
Anything better?
>>
How the FUCK could you forget Sam & Max and Discworld?
>>
Played gabriel knight remake recently. Fuck that game sucked, plot was straight up one of those shitty kiosk novels made by and for depressed housewives
>>
>>3633939
Sorry, your right! Discworld was awesome. That little jester that kept says "chuckie chuckie chuckie" made me die laughing. I've never tried sam and max. Im not trying to name drop or anything, just giving examples of games. Don't know or remember them all. Of all point and click games tho, which one in particular would you say is the best or worth my time first? Or can you give me an order of like 5 games or so
>>
>>3633954

Start with the Broken Sword games.
>>
>>3633931
Avoid Police Quest. They're pretty bad.

If they've got the Quest for Glory series on sale, get that - it's a good mix of adventure and role playing (action/combat not so great but par for the course).
>>
If you're a beginner, start with Monkey Island for LucasArts, Gabriel Knight for Sierra, and Broken Swords.
Avoid remakes, they're always shit: Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight remakes are amongst the worst offenders.

LucasArts games are usually the best for beginners, since there's no death or dead ends (doesn't mean they're not difficult). Sierra games (and Sierra-styled games) are known for their difficulty and obtuseness and can fuck over veteran adventure games players.
Myst-styled games are a complete different beast than standad point & click. Puzzles are pretty different, more abstract and not inventory-based. Some people love it, some hate it.
>>
>>3634149
>avoid police quest

Pleb. They were great. As long as you were smart enough to play them.
>>
>>3634091
do this op
>>
>>3635826
>get Police Quest collection on Steam from sale
>Played the first as a kid, never finished it, that one puzzle is complete bullshit
>I'm gonna finish this thing now!
>get past that puzzle, make it to Hotel at the end
>Supposed to talk to bartender to advance game
>game gets stuck in a never ending loop of the bartender walking
>does this four times, every time I reach that part
>I'll never finish this game

No, Police Quest games are shit. The first game's VGA remake is somewhat better than the original in terms of BS, but it's still broken. The 2nd game is crap for multiple reasons I don't have time to get involved in, the 3rd game is bullshit:the game with that goddamn timer and "hey, you didn't check in on your wife at the hospital every day? LOL, SHES DEAD NOW" garbage. Open Season is just too far broken to be considered an acceptable game, much less a good game. What, the game suddenly decided you don't have the right items to proceed? That's OK, just turn around and go...oh, wait, the game won't let you. LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE FUCKED AGAIN, LOL!

SWAT was a good game, but the entire Police Quest line is just absolute trash. There are good P&C games, the PQ games are not among them.
>>
Kyrandia
>>
What the fuck was SQ6?

Picked up SQ5 after realizing that I never played it, and it was great, but... what the FUCK was SQ6? What happened?
>>
>>3633931
Police Quest is pretty garbage day.

Go with Space Quest for humor and King's Quest for great story-telling. You can't go wrong with those two.
>>
>>3638730
SQ6 abandoned a lot of what made the first 5 great. It was experimental for the series but unfortunately those experiments failed somewhat.
>>
>>3633931
I started looking into point & click games over the summer, since I haven't played many of them (aside from Pajama Sam and Shadowgate)

>Myst
Pretty cool, good for it's time, kinda aged
>Riven
Incredible graphics, amazing story. I was really surprised.
>Monkey Island
Pretty funny, I played it with a friend, will definitely check out #2

Next I really want to try Beneath a Steel Sky
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.