[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marathon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: images-1.jpg (19KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
19KB, 259x194px
Really love this game, it still has multiplayer support and is free would https://alephone.lhowon.org/
Bumping with screenshots
>>
File: images-2.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>
>>3633914
Other then the wonky physics, love the games.
>>
Marathon needs a better source port than Aleph One.
>>
>>3634276
What's the best way to play the Marathon trilogy in its original form on a modern PC? I know little about Mac emulation.
>>
>>3634284
Aleph One is unfortunately the best way to play Marathon on a modern PC and that isn't saying much.
>>
>>3634289
In that case, what's wrong with Aleph One?
>>
>>3634302
Awful mouse controls.
>>
>>3634276
second this
I try playing it and mouselook is awful
>>
>>3634327
>>3634813
Did the original Mac version have mouselook? If so, how did it compare?
>>
>>3635053
I've never played the original mac version, but I'm pretty sure it had mouse look.
>>
>>3635053
if a1 devs are to be believed, then it must have sucked back then too.

i don't remember exactly what i read in forum posts a year or so ago, but basically it's a limitation in the game itself that results in a cap on movement speed and imprecision in small movements. i think they said they'd like to fix it but that it wasn't a top priority... probably because it'd be a bitch to do.

i also got the feeling that everyone there had taught themselves to play around the limitations, so they didn't see it as a big issue. i don't think they realized how severly it lowers the skill ceiling and how slow and annoying it makes every moment of combat when compared to basically every other m+kb fps. at any rate, unless something has changed, i wouldn't hold your breath for a fix.
>>
File: ShakeBeforeUsing_0000.png (250KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
ShakeBeforeUsing_0000.png
250KB, 1360x768px
I really gotta finish the first game. I've started it twice on different versions of Aleph One and I've come back to it so many times but I'm only like 60% done.
>>
File: NeitherHighnorLow_0000.png (537KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
NeitherHighnorLow_0000.png
537KB, 1280x1024px
>>3636695
>>
File: fhbJmR6.gif (3MB, 497x280px) Image search: [Google]
fhbJmR6.gif
3MB, 497x280px
>wonky 2D rocket jumps are required for escaping an early-game secret area you can easily stumble into
>>
File: Neat!.png (223KB, 400x324px) Image search: [Google]
Neat!.png
223KB, 400x324px
>>3633914
Neat, I never knew Marathon had an open source engine but I also never bothered to look. I had always wanted to play the games back when I was really into Halo and read online about the Marathon games, looks like it's finally time to play them. Thanks, OP.
>>
>>3637029
there's also a version for iOS devices that's free
>>
>>3633914
I used to like this series as a kid, but I tried replaying it a few months ago and hated it. The level design and physics are so garbage. Especially in Infinity. What the fuck were they thinking with that game?
>>
>>3634327
>>3634813
The mouse controls are pretty much the same as they were on the original.
>>3635538
Yep, it's really noticeable when you're trying to snipe something on the other side of a map with your pistol; it's a matter of firing a shot to scare them, and then wait for them to come in direct line, because the precision is too low to hit them.
>>3633919
>>3637309
The physics is the best part, plebs. Nothing more fun than hitting a giant cyborg tank with a rocket and watching it hover in a corner for 15 seconds until its momentum cools down. Far better than Doom where everything is locked to the floor.
>>
Marathon's OST is criminally underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QbuXuhUt_M
>>
The Aleph One ports are pretty nice and polished, especially the ones that use the hi res texture packs and add in transparent liquids and fog effects. The mouse look is about as shit as it ever was; originally it was designed to be played purely on keyboard (numpad movement, left hand weapon and action controls, arrow keys to look around). The levels were designed with that in mind, with most things being on a more-or-less directly in front of you plane to make up for the lack of precision aiming. The "survival knife challenge" so-to-speak was always to beat the games using nothing but your fists.

Not sure how people are complaining about the physics, the engine is choice. It basically launched the concept of using explosion physics to propel yourself to otherwise inaccessible areas, and go on. Fire the fusion pistol underwater.

Just never, ever play the hackneyed XBLA port. Dear god the horror.
>>
>>3637309
Infinity is cryptic and may very well be taking place completely within a dream. Also the levels loop around upon themselves, and there are multiple endings. Very surreal.
>>
>>3638681
people don't like the physics because it's extremely floaty
it's great for what they were going for, but if you haven't mastered it it feels like you have less control over where you're going and how fast
also it defies the expectations you'd have from pretty much every other game about what it takes to get onto things, and it's hard to learn that without consulting an FAQ or an older player
>>
>>3633914

Never heard of this game before. Downloading now, thanks.
>>
File: marathon2.png (326KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
marathon2.png
326KB, 800x600px
>>3637029
Played for a couple of hours and made it to level 8.
The level geometry is a bit basic so far, they use maze structures pretty often and there's a lot of tight hallways and cramped spaces, but it's a big space ship so it's kind of acceptable. The geometry uses true 3D though, and while it is cool and a breath of fresh air for retro shooters, it can also be disorienting at times when I'm trying to figure out "wait, what the fuck how does this work".

The enemies are pretty basic so far, and you can kinda feel the dated nature of the game through them. "Melee enemy 1, melee enemy 2, projectile enemy 1, projectile enemy 2" are the basic grunts, then you've got hulks which are walking melee-only tanks, and troopers which are hit-scan and have grenades. And a few other enemies that are still basic in nature. They're also really easy to stun so that they can't attack, some of the enemies you can literally stand in front of and punch to death without risk. Hopefully things improve in the future games when I get to them.
Pretty fun though, can't wait for the more open areas, faster gameplay sections, and for the better weapons. I'm seeing a lot of pre-Halo concepts and lore being used, which is neat since I used to love Halo.
>>
So if Aleph One feels just like the original, then is there really any point in emulation?
>>
File: ev-shipyard.gif (5KB, 345x179px) Image search: [Google]
ev-shipyard.gif
5KB, 345x179px
>>3639597
When your emulator is up and running you can play Escape Velocity on it
>>
>>3638645
It's a fucking massive shame that 2 and Infinity just had silence instead of a soundtrack. I played the entire trilogy in a row for the first time this year and when I found that out I just had the Marathon 1 soundtrack on loop while playing the other 2 to completion.
>>
>>3633914
Did Marathon Aeon ever get finished?

>>3639597
Play Marathon Rubicon whenever you like, it's a hell of a mod that has imho better levels and storyline than the mainline games.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.