[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where were you when you realized how retardedly dumb X being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

Where were you when you realized how retardedly dumb X being the main button for games outside of asia is?

>O is synonymous with correct and/or ok
>X is synonymous with wrong/incorrect/no

Yet X is what the us and eu use as a way to ok things like menus or choices

>nes controller main button is A which is on the right
>snes controller main button is on the right
>ps controller circle button is on the right
>>
It was definitely a pointless decision. I wonder who it was who thought it was a useful thing to do. It's true that O and X don't have such sharply defined meaning outside Asia, but they also don't mean the opposite, either. It wouldn't have been any kind of problem to leave it as-is.
>>
>>3633203
I've played various rpgs that do it one way or the other, and they were all USA or EURO versions.
>>
>>3633203
It makes about as much sense as ABXY

You can interpret it however the fuck you want, but they're just symbols that signify button position.

I'd map my games control scheme to whatever I felt was best, not based on arbitrary symbols on the buttons.
>>
>>3633265
You can be wrong. The A/O button should be used for selecting as its the more natural position that the thumb rests in. Much more comfortable to play RPGs with that layout.
>>
>>3633203
I'm pretty sure the creator of the controller came out and said it was due to the color of the button moreso than the symbol.

The X is blue and the O is red, Western audiences tend to associate the color blue with affirmative and the color red with negative. Hence they switched it to make it more intuitive for us. In Japan the color red has stronger cultural connotations and doesn't necessarily imply incorrect/stop/etc.
>>
I think there was even several SNES games that used B for selection, mostly because the bottom button in the classic 4 face button scheme is the one your thumb would be closest and rest by, so itd be easier to make "selection" or "action" there

Its also why most platformers used B as jump and Y as attack or run or whatever since it felt more comfortable than using A and B
>>
X = Marks The Spot
X = You Are Here
You = Faggot
>>
whatever
>>
I remember reading that the psx buttons were supposed to represent actions in a game. O and X were yes/no. Square the map and triangle inventory.
>>
File: 1400129930966.jpg (27KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
1400129930966.jpg
27KB, 550x281px
>>3633203
>being such a retard that OP actually got confused by this
>he never could figure it out
>any game with this set up became unplayable to him
>he is still mortally ass ravaged all these years later
>complains about it to /vr/ in last, desperate attempt to find somebody, anybody, who might be willing to validate his pitiful experience of the gamer identity
>>
A = accept
B = cancel

is better.

Both SNES and MegaDrive used B to cancel/go back.
>>
>controller has x, triangle, square, circle instead of XYAB keys
>>
>>3634464
Did Super Famicom controllers have different markings than SNES controllers released in English-speaking territories? Maybe Sony switched to shapes to avoid having to fuck around with switching the lettering on their hardware depending on where it was being released.
>>
>>3634468
Yes. They said Nintendo Super Famicom instead of Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
>>
>>3634475
I meant for the buttons, XYAB, smartass.
>>
File: Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg (3MB, 3700x2080px) Image search: [Google]
Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg
3MB, 3700x2080px
>>3634468

Same button placements.
>>
>>3634490
>be japanese
>want to play some suupa famiconarudesuka-san
>horrified, discover buttons labeled with unintelligible gibberish
>can never play a Nintendo again
>>
>>3634501
>be japanese
>can't tell L and R buttons apart
>>
>>3634610

R = aru
L = eru

Easy enough.
>>
>>3634612
Semi-related, I played a JP game where エル was actually "R," because they were going by the German pronunciation in katakana.
>>
File: PizzaBaggles.jpg (30KB, 470x721px) Image search: [Google]
PizzaBaggles.jpg
30KB, 470x721px
I didn't realize this was a thing until I imported a Gundam Ps3 game; and then after playing Bishi Bashi special where you get an 'O' for completing a task. And then I went to a store and 'O' was the confirm button on the pinpad.

>mfw I put it all together
>>
>>3633203
>all companies have to have the right button be accept because Nintendo did
>>
>>3633603
>The A/O button should be used for selecting as its the more natural position that the thumb rests in

What? The B/X buttons are in the position the thumb rests in.
>>
>>3633203
I realized it when I started using Retroarch. I use it everywhere now even on my eur vita thanks to henkaku.
>>
>>3634942
>Not knowing shit
Literally ALL consoles since they started featuring a controller with a directional pad and frontal buttons(3rd gen) had their scheme set with the right button being accept.
And since OP mentioned PS buttons, you should also consider how the PS controller layout was literally derived from the SNES one, even for the buttons symbols(the thing >>3633772 mentioned is just a myth), as follows
>A = first button = circle, 1 line
>B = second button = X, 2 lines
>X = third button = Triangle, 3 lines
>Y = fourth button = Square, 4 lines

So no, all companies don't have the right button be accept because Nintendo did, but because all companies already did so, including Sony with the PlayStation, and EU and NA were the only regions in which this was changed for ONE console.
>>
>>3633203
>X
>destination or intention
>O
>cease (see power switches where --- is go)
lick me
>>
>>3635915
>O
>cease (see power switches where --- is go)
>power switches where --- is go
You're either a retard, or trolling.
Power switches symbols are 1 and 0
>>
>>3633603

Not really, and it's especially not true if the controller has handles.
>>
I always remap the controls to the original ones when I emulate a PS1/PS2/PSP game.
It only sucks when switching between several games.
>>
>>3635890
Not that anon but I figured they would have made the buttons on their controller similar so it'd be easier for people that migrate from one company's console to a different company's would be able to adapt to the controls more easily.
>>
>>3633603
>Much more comfortable to play RPGs with that layout.

Disagree.
>>
Why didn't they just swap the position of X and O?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.