[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you enjoy retro/old stuff in other forms of entertainment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: untitled.jpg (1MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
1MB, 1920x1440px
Do you enjoy retro/old stuff in other forms of entertainment too?

I not only love retro games but i also enjoy a lot of old music, old movies and old books too.

I can enjoy new stuff too of course, but i love old stuff and i have strong nostalgic feelings.
>>
>>3632989

I'm not really a fan of partaking of the media, unless it's been ruined in transitions to modern media...which is sadly often the case.

But I'm a huge fan of understanding how the stuff works, and the development behind said ancient media.

Magnetic media is fucking FASCINATING, man.
>>
>>3633005
You'll enjoy this a whole lot if you've never watched it. Every time I think of cassettes since seeing this episode I think of the home made one he makes hear him say in my head "this is recorded on sticky tape and rust!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOULWR4h4Io
>>
Since I also still keep an old CRT to play videogames, I still prefer to watch some older stuff in DVD on it. Much like vidya, old video is also in SD definition, so the image gets inherently upscaled when you watch them on HD screens.
For modern stuff, which I also like, obviously I prefer full HD.
>>
>>3632989
I love watching my VHS tapes.

Sucks though, some tapes either work shitty in certain VCR's or just fucking die.

Also this thread is not retro.
>>
>>3632989
Yeah, I collect VHS and old electronics as well.
>>
File: jazzclub_nice.gif (1MB, 287x206px) Image search: [Google]
jazzclub_nice.gif
1MB, 287x206px
>>3633027
I knew that was going to be Hunkin/Garrod before I even clicked the link.

God-tier TV right there.
>>
>>3633031
>inherently upscaled
Doesn't make sense, but there are settings to show things at their original resolution.
>>
I love my laserdiscs
>>
Yes. I'm fascinated both with vintage media and vintage hi-fi equipment, when Sony, Pioneer and JVC and other companies were at their prime, releasing huge professional and expensive high-quality devices.
I really want to get into ripping and uploading some Japanese pop liveshows/concerts from laserdisc and VHS. I bet there are many things left on physical media or badly ripped in 90s.
I purchase, rip and upload some modern blu-ray stuff, and expanding into retro territory seems fun. Just need to more interesting things to upload.

I also enjoy vinyl.
>>
>>3633031
HDTVs usually handle DVD resolution pretty well.
>>
I buy old anime VHSs all the time because no one wants that shit and they're like $1 a piece at maximum.

I buy up whole series I've never heard of an watch them blind, it's fucking fantastic. Except when it's horrible, but that's also fantastic.
>>
>>3632989
We still have our childhood vhs. We still watch them with the kiddo. I don't miss audio casettes one bit though.
>>
>>3633256
VHS? I bet those are all dubbed though. Doesn't sound very fantastic.
>>
>>3633262

They're not. Some of them are.

Some of the dubs are fine, or even--occasionally--good.

Some of them like Vampire Princess Miyu are UNWATCHABLY TERRIBLE
>>
>>3632989

I get cassette and VHS all the time. I even found a minidisc player/writer that I'm eyeing. Now all I need is a portable minidisc player...and some minidiscs.
>>
>>3633256
where at?
I usually pick up 10 for a buck VHS's at my goodwill, but there's never any anime
>>
>>3633235
>Just need to more interesting things to upload.
Speaking of this, maybe there are some things /vr/ would like to see ripped? Game/anime/seiyuu concerts.
Of course I can't promise anything.
>>
>>3633272

Usually at used game stores or Half-Price Books.
>>
>>3633273
Initial Gunbuster VHSs
>>
File: nizo801.jpg (238KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
nizo801.jpg
238KB, 1000x750px
I love shooting on Super 8. Too bad it's so expensive.
>>
File: drainessence.jpg (47KB, 362x507px) Image search: [Google]
drainessence.jpg
47KB, 362x507px
I wish there was a board like /vr/ but for /tg/
>>
File: VHSkino.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
VHSkino.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>3632989
Recently rescued a bunch of my childhood vhs tapes(pic related) from my parents house. I forgot how annoying rewinding is but watching old tapes definitely has some charm to it.
>>
>>3632989
Oh yeah I like old women! milfs and gilfs
>>
>>3632989
Yes, now that I have a meme CRT, I also got a laserdisc player and some old cyberpunk anime discs. Also have some 80s home computers.
>>
>>3633314
Why not Blu-ray with the correct aspect ratios? Or better yet, why not Laserdisc if you're going retro?
>>
>>3633027
THIS show! I used to have most of these recorded on long play VHS... Dunno what happened to them. I am glad someone has preserved them.
>>
>>3633342

did you read his post? Those are his childhood tapes.
>>
>>3633256
I like doing this. I found a tape called Wrath of the Ninja for $1 and it had an awful dub. Coolest find yet is finding the '95 Ghost in the Shell movie on VHS for 25 cents, so pumped when I found that
>>
>>3633314
Why not get those fast tape rewinders?
>>
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
>>
OP here.

These replies aren't quite what i expected, but that's probably because of the picture i used.

Anyway, enjoyable thread so far, no problems.
>>
>>3633368
nigger
>>
>>3633328
same tbqh
>>
>>3632989

I collect (and play!) old key instruments. I love 80's casios and have electric chord organs from the 60s.
>>
>>3633545
Do you have a Lowrey Cotillion, model D575?
>>
>>3633548
>Lowrey Cotillion, model D575

No, but that's the dream, isn't it?
>>
>>3633565
It has custom flute presets and harmony-plus in addition.

Truly state of the art.
>>
File: A012681.jpg (76KB, 413x512px) Image search: [Google]
A012681.jpg
76KB, 413x512px
>>3633256
I remember seeing a whole box of Slayers tapes at a flea market for like 50 cents apiece. I passed them up because they were dubbed, I really regret it.

>>3632989
I love the look and feel of olde-tyme typewriters. I wonder how hard it would be to convert one into a laptop?
>>
>>3633582

That has the potential to look super cool.
>>
>>3633594
To complete the faux-Victorian look, I could imagine it having a monochrome display (maybe e-Ink?), with some kind of customized Linux DE to give it the appearance of being low-tech. Light on images, heavy on text, with lots of flowery script and gothic print so it actually looks like it could have been designed in the 19th century.

The more I think about this, the more I'm tempted to buy a soldering gun and learn how to use it.
>>
A little bit. Sometimes I'll buy old VHS from the thrift shop if they look especially cheesy. Found an old Cinderella anime once, it was charmingly bad. Flip clocks are cool, but I've yet to find a working one. Old speakers work just as well as new ones in many cases. Silent movies really have their own charm as well, though I usually get those digitally for convenience.

It's all in good fun.
>>
File: 1478730073116.jpg (88KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1478730073116.jpg
88KB, 1024x1024px
>>3632989
I've been collecting all my life I guess, I never really sold anything off except maybe traded a game or two and let friends borrow stuff that never got returned.

I still have all my VHS tapes and cassette tapes and my Dad's 8-tracks. I had been picking up some old vinyl here and there and some of them were given to me. Basically if I didn't have to send any or much money on it because I don't have money to spend on top dollar stuff.

Anyway I've been ill recently and been thinking about what will happen to my collection of stuff once I'm gone. So I've been throwing around a few ideas like craigslist and local stores/flea market. Some of the stuff I will give to nieces and nephews but the majority of it I don't want to leave behind for someone to deal with. Even not so retro stuff like DVD's I would like to sell and have someone get some enjoyment out of them. I also have some old posters like Pink Floyd and some old framed pictures of the Beatles.

Anyway to make a long story short if anyone has any ideas how to sell these collections I would be open to suggestions or opinions. I can upload some pictures of my stuff if anyone wants.
>>
File: Sword and Shield Tavern.jpg (96KB, 1024x728px) Image search: [Google]
Sword and Shield Tavern.jpg
96KB, 1024x728px
>>3632989
I've loved old books! Naturally, since I've been into RPGs, I've picked that taste up since pen and paper players seem to be into related books - not the tie-ins though, they too seem to consider those pretty sub-par.

But then, I've been moving on to new books lately, there's a discount book store a modest walk from me.

I also liked old music videos, but then I think I prefer the newer stuff, more independent videos, sometimes even thoughtfully made fan videos, and live performance recordings.
>>
>>3633686

As for selling your stuff, I can't give you much help.

But for something to do with your collection that may make it worth all the time spent, why not donate it? There might be a state college who's media studies depart would love a huge donation of ANYTHING. This how much joy you can bring to a bunch of kids exploring the world by combing through old media!
>>
File: Starlight Jedi.jpg (336KB, 1024x699px) Image search: [Google]
Starlight Jedi.jpg
336KB, 1024x699px
>>3633857
You know I've thought about this alot actually.

When I was younger there was a company Starlight that had video games in Children's hospital here in Philadelphia. They are carts with a built in TV like you would roll into classrooms but they had a video game hooked up. Since they brought me alot of joy when I was a kid in the hospital I have been thinking of donating some of my newer games to them. And if I can maybe go in and volunteer my time to play and explain some games to them.

Thanks, I'm going to contact Starlight and see how i can help.
>>
>>3633210
Nope. DVD displays at most 720x480p so you will never get HD res on it so yes shit gets upscaled on your HD TV. I still dont get why dvd is so popular at least blu ray is 1080p
>>
Glad this thread popped up. It's funny anons. I'm a huge retro gamer and gamer in general but everything else in my life revolves around the 1930s-1950s. My music, movies, dress,and even work.
>>
>>3632989
Yes. I started collecting vinyl records on a whim last year, but in order to limit myself from buying ALL the music I like on vinyl, I decided to limit myself to only collect colored records. These are often only found in limited supply, which kinda added an extra layer of excitement to collecting, kinda like how it is with retro games.
>>
File: s-l500[1].jpg (28KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500[1].jpg
28KB, 375x500px
>>3634641
As an extension of that: Earlier this year I was struck with a weird paranoia about how connected everything is these days. Suppose someone got a hold of all your passwords and login information, you'd suddenly be out of your music, your social networks, your cloud storage, your phone, your movies and considering how much stuff is paid for via an app these days; your money. I even feel like modern cars rely too much on electronics to work.

Maybe it's just nostalgia really, but it got me into picking up a couple of VHS tapes of some of my favorite films as well as weird films that doesn't seem to be available anywhere else.

The much cooler Japanese versions of retro game covers might also have tainted me, because I'm especially drawn to Japanese versions of VHS films, because of the covers.
>>
>>3632989
Ohyeah.

For me, it's not so much the idea that the past was better, but time moves so quick that we don't get enough time with the good stuff while its new. We're just constantly bombarded.

Also, I like glitches, distortion, imperfection. Everything from record pops to encoder errors. Brian Eno has a really good quote about this.

“Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit - all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar sound is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them.”
>>
>>3634662
>Suppose someone got a hold of all your passwords and login information, you'd suddenly be out of your music, your social networks, your cloud storage, your phone, your movies and considering how much stuff is paid for via an app these days; your money.

If you got my passwords all you would get is 10 bucks on my Amazon account. I literally keep Nothing online. I don't even have a facebook so I feel like a dinosaur. Although I do backup all my CD's and DVD's too a 5TB harddrive and keep a backup in a fireproof box just in case the physical media and/or HD crashes.

But I'm all with you on the rare color vinyl and cool VHS boxes. I got a white Beatles album at the flea market for a buck. Used to go and sell stuff with my folks years ago and VHS and CD's were basically given away, I'm sure they are now too. Cruise the dollar vinyl too and you never know what you can come across, I've built a decent collection and I don't think I've ever paid over say 5 bucks for an album. Retro games too, not sure how it is nowadays since it's kinda trendy but I used to get a box of 25 NES games for like 6 bucks.
>>
>>3635801
>“Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit - all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar sound is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them.”

Very nice

You know it's strange when I used to run into older people at the flea market buying CD's and I was buying albums. They would tell me about how they wanted the crisp clear sound and I would say how I already had 40,000 mp3's but now I want to find it original. Neither is wrong but not living through that time period I feel like there's definitely something there at gives it something special.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.