[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do the Earthbound/Mother games take place in the same world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: earthbound beginnings.jpg (191KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound beginnings.jpg
191KB, 600x900px
do the Earthbound/Mother games take place in the same world?
>>
>>3632976

EarthBound (NA) = Mother 2 (JP)
>>
File: 1273947548005.jpg (222KB, 869x716px) Image search: [Google]
1273947548005.jpg
222KB, 869x716px
Mother 1 takes place in America, while Mother 2/EB takes place in various continents of the world, mainly Eagleland (which is evidently a representation of USA).
So, if Eagleland is America, what happened to Mother 1's America?
>>
>>3632981
>>3632984
this >>3633090 is what i meant. i want to know what happened to Mother 1's America, if Eagleland exists, especially as giygas is in both games.

are they in the same area, but different countries?
>>
>>3633121
The Mother series takes place across a planet with multiple continents presumably mirroring our world
Mother 1 is all within America
Mother 2 has four cities in America, while Winters, Summers, Scaraba, and Deep Darkness are all on the eastern hemisphere with winters being England and summers being France. Dalaam is India.
Mother 3 is on a deserted island that survives the apocalypse. If there is a real life equivalent then none of us would know about it, which is why M3's setting is called the nowhere islands.
>>
All of them take place in the same universe, although it's debatable if they take place in the same world/planet. Why? The link between all of them is Giygas. Giygas from Mother 1 and 2 is the same entity, proof of that is Mother 2's subtitle: Giygas Strikes Back (ギーグの逆襲). Only Earthbound and Mother 3 take place definitely in the same world (because of spoilers). There isn't any indication that Mother 1's America is the same as Earthbound's Eagleland, though.
>>
it's not really unthinkable that there's a whole multiverse thing going on with giygas and all
>>
On this subject, I was playing Etrian Odyssey and just got to the big reveal that it takes place on a post-apocalyptic earth that was destroyed by pollution.

What other games have the plot twist of "This takes place on Earth in the distant whatever"?
>>
>>3633934
The only other one I could immediately think of was Mother 3, but I have a feeling you already knew that given the thread you asked that in
>>
I don't get why people are hung up on the America / Eagleland thing. Is it just because it wasn't explicitly called Eagleland in M1? It's pretty obvious what the allusion was. If you can understand anons calling it Burgerland then Eagleland shouldn't be confusing.
>>
File: 1394396422066.jpg (99KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1394396422066.jpg
99KB, 680x510px
>>3634457

The thing is that Mother 1's country/land is canonically called America, while Ness' home country is canonically called Eagleland. It's obvious they're both representing the same thing, but in terms of series continuity it doesn't match.

>>3633912
It's not impossible given that both Gyiyg and Porky can travel in time and space
>>
It should be noted that the one sign enemy in earthbound says Ohio
>>
Aw shit the Earthbound romhack thread died
>>
>>3633934
Crystalis.
>>
>>3633934
Shin Megami Tensei IV handled it super well, but not retro.
>>
>>3632976
Yes, they are all related to each other in the same timeline/universe. Mother 1 just references similar places like Pokemon RBY and Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma did. Mother 3 is just extremely long into the future.

>>3633934
Sonic technically did this, if you read the comics.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.