[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that Donkey Kong 64 killed the 3D platformer genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

Is it true that Donkey Kong 64 killed the 3D platformer genre?
>>
>>3632482
No, loads came after that.
Dont believe every meme youtube "celebs" tell you.
>>
>>3632482
Yes, it is true that after Donkey Kong 64 there was never a 3D platformer ever developed again ever.

No, wait, OP is just retarded.
>>
It might've gone too far with the collecting, but it didn't have an ET effect.

The big devs in 3D platformers just got kind of tired of the genre for a while was all, and they made different games using different tech.
>>
What killed 3D platformers was GTA3 because it had the same kind of explorable open world but with added action and edgy stuff.
>>
>>3632554
no, there were still dozens made throughout that generation.
>>
>>3632482
No, Banjo Kazooie did.
>>
>>3632560
But "pure" platformers were all fairly niche after 2001. No really big sellers. Even Jak 2 became a GTA clone to move on with the market.
>>
>>3632569
They weren't as big sellers as GTA but there was still a ton of 3d platformers released between 2000 and 2005. Vexx, Scaler, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Star Fox Adventures,
>>
>>3632654
Yeah but the genre was clearly on life support at that time. When the best selling game on that list is Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, there's a real problem.

Star Fox Adventures is as much of a platformer as Zelda though.
>>
Rareware's 3d platformer games didn't killed the genre but it made it hella fucking bad with tedious as shit collectibles and even the mystery eggs. Shit like that wouldn't be allowed during the 6th gen and onwards, as if unlocking a lot of shit in other games like Onimusha or Devil May Cry or getting all the upgrades in Ratchet & Clank wasn't a timewasting load of garbage, specially with DMC where you have to push yourself to the fucking limit with Dante Must Die mode.
>>
>>3632564
Such a quirky and edgy answer!
>>
C G
O
C
O
N
U
T

G
U
N
>>
Things that really killed it:

1. Mario Sunshine (watergun b.s.)
2. Wii motion controls

Where's the true Mario 64 sequel?
>>
File: Lanky_Kong.png (232KB, 496x525px) Image search: [Google]
Lanky_Kong.png
232KB, 496x525px
HE
>>
>>3633951
HAS
>>
>>3633959
NO
>>
>>3635281
STYLE
>>
The real answer is kids just don't care about cartoony stuff anymore.

"Edge" took over instead.
>>
>>3632482
No but it certainly went off the deep end on the collectathon aspect.
>>
>>3632482
Na, arguably three reasons.

1. Rise of mmos
2. Playing against others online replaced substantial content in games. (moba, fps)
3. the elements that make a good platformer- exploration and collectibles- have been successfully turned into pay walls and micro transactions.
>>
>>3633924
Mario Galaxy
>>
>>3635590
trash
>>
More like, good 3D platformers died with Banjo Tooie
>>
>>3633924
Sunshine is better than 64.
>>
>>3633924
Super Mario Star Road
>>
File: 1474756596533.png (403KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474756596533.png
403KB, 500x500px
>>3635590
I love Galaxy but no, it was radically different than Mario 64 on a fundamental level.

>>3635930
I can't really argue with that, even if it is flawed in some areas. (Blue coins mostly. That's some DK64 levels of blatant padding.)

>>3635897
Tooie is a fine game. They just went overboard in some levels and there was too many fetch quests. Certainly not as tight of an experience as Kazooie was though. I can see why some prefer it to Tooie.

>>3636589
I actually don't disagree with this. It's a very well put together hack. Usually 64 hacks are garbled messes but this hit all the right marks for me.
>>
Despite all the Dk64 hate gets on the internet nowadays, it was well received at the time.

I liked Dk64 more than banjo.
>>
>>3632482
As much as I personally hate DK64, it was actually a somewhat popular game back in the day from what I remember, so no.

What actually killed 3D platformers was the rise of console shooters and the general demand for not-rated-E games. It was an edgy decade and cartoonish genres like platformers were simply less desirable. Case in point: look at how the Jak and Daxter trilogy turned out.

Other factors:
>Nintendo mildly dropped the ball by waiting too long to release the next Mario game and then making Sunshine, which was disappointing at best
>Microsoft mangled Rare with typical Microsoft mismanagement, cancelling the development of Banjo-Threeie and preventing them from ever making anything good again ever
>Naughty Dog lost the rights to make Crash games. Naturally, the studio to pick up the license immediately drove Crash into the ground (not sure if Crash counts as 3D platforming, but whatever)
>There were still 3D platformers on PS2, you know. They all had shooting / stealth to make them edgier but they were still 3D platformers. It is my personal opinion that they were all acceptable games but none were really all that great
>>
>>3633794
Anti-collectathon memers like you are what killed 3D platformers. DK64 went past the acceptable levels of collectathoning but everything else was fine and good.
>>
>>3637719
>Mario 64 started as a 2D game

the fuck am i reading
>>
>>3637754
meme youtube historIans
>they were working on a mario game but that didn't come out, therefor mario64 used to be an snes game!
>>
>>3632482
No? 3D Platformers were still alive and kicking during Gen 6.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.