[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earthbound Zero

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 72069-earthbound-nes.png (266KB, 700x436px) Image search: [Google]
72069-earthbound-nes.png
266KB, 700x436px
I know it's generally accepted that Earthbound for SNES is a great RPG. How does /vr feel about Earthbound zero for NES?
>>
>>3631692
there is no videogame named earthbound zero
>>
It has the best Mother character in it (Teddy), so it's good.
>>
Earthbound zero = Mother

Mother was translated by Nintendo but never released. Earthbound zero is the name given to a specific rom dump of a mother prototype cart which was hacked to work with nesticle.
>>
>>3631731
Incorrect. Mother was translated and ready to release as Earthbound, but since it was finished so late, Nintendo decided not to release it.
It was leaked, and when dumped, hacked to work on emulators of the time. This version had 'Zero' added to the title.

The ROM used in Earthbound Beginnings is identical to the clean dump of the leaked Earthbound.
>>
File: IMG_20161122_233047395_HDR.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161122_233047395_HDR.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
Drugs.
>>
It has a better story and is harder than the SNES version, but sadly the ridiculous high encounter rate and the map design ruins the fun. The proper way to play this game is using the patched version.
>>
>>3632036

Patched version?
>>
>>3632036

What is different in the patched version?
>>
>>3632047
Easy Ring tones down the difficulty.
>>
>>3632051

I don't know what that means.
>>
>>3632060

The patch gives you an item right at the start of the game that reduces the encounter rate, so you dont have to fight enemies every 3 steps. Because in Mother since the inventory space is so limited you can easily run out of items in a dungeon and die.
>>
I have never played Mother or Earthbound. I've enjoyed many NES RPGs and a bunch of MSX DQ clones. Should I give Mother a shot? Does it do anything that Earthbound doesn't?
>>
>>3632134
>Does it do anything that Earthbound doesn't?
The world map is continuous and pretty large.
>>
>>3631775
Wow it's almost like as if you redundantly typed that up just to say "Earthbound Zero was a hack of the original Earthbound prototype dump"... but you also failed to mention that the Zero version also lessened the grind :^)
>>
>>3632075
That's the GBA version. Zero has it by default
>>3632193
all me
:^)

>>3632134
>Does it do anything that Earthbound doesn't?
Explains Giygas/Giegue origins or something. Never finished it.
>>
Mother 1 is a great game
>>
>>3632240
dude ultima 6 lmao
>>
>>3632248
What
>>
>>3631706 Stop being a weeaboo, people call it Earthbound Zero too and everyone knows what they're talking about
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-23-10-04-34.png (578KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-23-10-04-34.png
578KB, 1920x1080px
I've been playing it on my phone in my free time, it's weird and I like it.
>>
>>3631706
Fuck you dumb tryhard fuk
>>
I found it pretty difficult, but enjoyable nonetheless
>>
>>3631692
It's okay. I thought it was cool (but annoying) that talking to people could infect you with a cold status effect. That was neat you had to be careful of who was contagious and who wasn't. I don't remember much else.
>>
>>3631692
Much better than both earthbound and that other one. I love the freedom you have and the atmosphere.
>>
>>3631692 (OP)
EarthBound Zero has a baby-mode hack that neuters the game's difficulty. That said the unmodified prototype, like the one Nintendo officially released, is one of my favorite games of all time. Easily one of the best RPGs on the Famicom/NES, amazing music, HUGE world map, great story, I like it better than EarthBound personally. It's not a hard game, and it's very short, so there's literally no reason whatsoever to hack it to be 'easier'.
>>
File: earthbound teddy is a savage.jpg (25KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound teddy is a savage.jpg
25KB, 800x450px
I beat it for the first time a couple weeks ago. i really like it, but it feels a little unfinished.

>>3631723
SAVAGE
>>
I like the game a lot. I first tried it on Mother 1+2. Basically, it's not any different from most DQ clones. But what it does it does pretty well.

I like the graphics style a lot. It's that basic style which embraces the squareness of pixel, similar to Mother 2. Also, I like that the game takes place in a modern setting, I love how its world looks with its of high-rises, condos, trains and forests. The enemies are pretty cool too, different music really helps set the mood. Sadly, it lacks psychedelic/abstract backgrounds of Mother 2, but given the limitations of Famicom it's only a given.

It virtually doesn't stray from the classic RPG formula at all. But the pacing, the difficulty curve and everything else feel just right. There's not that much grinding, but if you do it it's not very bothersome too. Bosses also aren't unfair, and you never really feel that the game was made artificially difficult.

Exploration is pretty nice, there's variety here and there and the world feels really big. A really nice feature is that you can walk and run in diagonals. There are also occasional hidden spots on map and alternate routes which help spice things up. Train lines and teleport spell help make traveling easier and more interesting.

I also like that in Mother 1+2 you can use L button. But alas, that port has inferior music and some other flaws. Still it was cool to play on my NDS.
>>
>>3633226

So, if you were to recommend a specific port or ROM hack of this game, what would it be? Is the music enough to pass over the 1+2 version?
>>
>>3631692
Mother 1 is beautiful , the character development is better but the other mother is superior in gameplay and enemy design, also , some of those enemies like the thug zombie are creepy af
>>
>>3633240
Earthbound Zero prototype on NES is probably the best. It actually was improved from Famicom Mother 1, adding run button and better walking not restricted to tiles. Not only that, it has less grinding and several other small fixes/improvements.

Mother 1+2 is flawed first and foremost because it has smaller screen space to fit GBA display. And secondly, because it's notorious for worse sound quality (but for me personally, it didn't sound that bad, so I don't know).

1+2 also aded various fixes/improvements to Famicom Mother 1, but I'm reading that most of the changes it made actually came from EB Zero prototype, aside from L button obviously (that came from Mother 2/EB). The latter is a nice addition, instead of clicking Menu-Check you can simply press a single button. I wish EB Zero prototype had a similar feature, but that said, it's not a game changer for me.

So 1+2 is flawed on a pure technical level. Still, there's a full translation patch available for it.
>>
>>3633226
>DQ clones
what are some other DQ clones?
>>
>>3633819
Final Fantasy
Lufia
Phantasy Star
>>
>>3632194
No, there's a patch for Zero that doubles the XP, that's it.

Encounter rate is the same.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.