[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to the Euro PC gaming scene?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

What happened to the Euro PC gaming scene?
>>
the IBM compatible was invented?

I'm pretty sure they still make some PC games in europe, like football management simulator
>>
All their cassette tapes were erased during the second coming of Jesus
>>
>>3631582
>like football management simulator
Yeah its consistently in the top 5 for total players on steam
>>
seems like it was too small to sustain itself. A lot of the games were terrible compared to what was available for consoles, so interest faded as the times changed.
>>
>>3631578
DOS stopped being so shit for arcade games and by the time of Wintel stuff like the Amiga died off so both America and Europe had the same computers, with Japan hopping on just a few years later.
>>
>>3631964
It was IBM compatibles that killed other systems, not consoles.
>>
>>3631582
>>3632327

It's more than just that. The Euro scene was still going strong during the IBM Compatible era.

What really killed things was that Intel absolutely dominated the market with the Pentium chip, and while Motorola and other competing companies DID make viable rivals, none of them quite stacked up very well against Intel's offerings, and Intel was always one step ahead.

Add into this the fact that most European companies were still really small scale operations, and large scale US operations were looking to get an edge over the competition by exporting overseas, and yeah. Dominance of the IBM Compatibles by the Win 95 era.
>>
>>3632541
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos
>>
>>3632541
>Add into this the fact that most European companies were still really small scale operations

This, even when they were on top euro companies never moved from the "bedroom programmers" model (one guy for the graphics, other for the music and a programmer mashing everything toghether).

Japanese and american companies were more professional and wit ah lot of resources. The euro games on the other hand were a lot more irregular, if the guys were good you had a good game every now and then but the rest were lacking or bad, not consistence at all.
>>
>>3631578

They became the Western Caliphate PC scene.
>>
File: 1446762927030s.jpg (12KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
1446762927030s.jpg
12KB, 250x247px
>>3633446
leeeel my fellow /int/electual
how will bongs ever recover kekerino
>>
>>3633385

It didn't help that every single country had their own laws and taxes and shit, and so if a UK company wanted to do well just a few hundred miles away, they had to cut a deal(and offer a cut of profits) to companies in another country to distribute, and then to cut costs they had to apply all sorts of bullshit limitations.

I can't remember what specifically, but didn't ZX Spectrums have some sort of bullshit RAM configuration because Spain had retarded tax laws with RAM? I'm sure some of the UKbros know more.
>>
>>3633385
Watching the GET LAMP interview made it seem like that was actually a blessing in disguise as a lot of really experimental stuff was done (mostly poorly).

Really it just sounds like Home Brew on a continental scale, which sounds great to me.

Also a major aspect may have been that home computers stopped being shipped with BASIC, which any fool can code in.
>>
>>3633491
If you're talking about Sinclair any bullshit was probably done to cut costs.
>>
>>3633491
There was a tax on low-end computers in Spain so the 128K model was made to circumvent it. It also had to display things in Spanish.
>>
>>3633494
This is the interview: https://archive.org/details/getlamp-hewison

In Britain they also stayed on cassette for a lot longer than the US, so it meant that people could also produce their own games cheaply. And as well as being on a cheap media the computers would read them with any normal tape player and take input from the line-in.
>>
>>3631578
>What happened to the Euro PC gaming scene?
Nothing? They just changed names and still release AAA titles.
>>
First Spanish Law fix as obligated Support at keyboard, display and print the Support of Ñ (ñ) and accents. If yor name is Íñigo are you Happy wit I/nigo? French have AZERTY keyboard an Support (as Spanish) of ç. Germán have QWERTZ and Support of Beta german character. Also a best protection again interferences.
Amstrad make a CPC 472 (a 464 wit a additional RAM chip in a spare board, not connected to Z80 bus and not operativo, for "torear" the Law, but this arr canged fot include all vomputers. The CPC472 and TI with SECAM Support (french TV) ate very rare and cotizated.
>>
>>3634259
>Beta
It's actually called an ezset (or something) - it's a combination of one of those ye olde S characters that looks like a lower case F without the crossbar, and a "normal" S.

Technically it's not a Beta character.
>>
>>3633491
That tax lasted exactly three months, no kidding, was approved on a february and get rid of it on june or so because spain joined the CE and had to get rid of these barriers.
>>
>>3634259

Wow, ese google traslator...
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.