[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, whats the actual advantage of isometric view, particularly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: landstalker.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
landstalker.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
So, whats the actual advantage of isometric view, particularly in platforming heavy games such as pic related? I fail to see what it does other than making jumping really awkward.
>>
>>3631093
Allows more than one side of a building to be seen.
>>
>>3631093
>>3631093
It looks interesting and you can show two sides of square structures instead of just 1. Just play the game for a little while, you'll get used to it and Landstalker rocks so it's well worth getting over the learning curve.
>>
>>3631093
>whats the actual advantage of isometric view
it's just a nice change
>in platforming heavy games
kinda shitty in those tho
>>
It allows you to display three dimensions equally.
>>
if you were used to playing games in the "stumpy-head" view isometric may as well been 8K

A lot of you guys either forget or were just not around and playing games at the time, visuals used to be a Big Deal. Obviously they're still important but now that the baseline bar for fidelity is high enough everything looks more or less realistic the any improvements are incremental and don't really effect the experience. Back then something simple like changing the view angle would get people excited enough that it would mean guaranteed sales.
>>
>>3631097
>Landstalker rocks so it's well worth getting over the learning curve.
True this. It will take a little bit of time to come to grips with the perspective (there's that one early optional jumping puzzle that is purposefully confusing as fuck). I am glad i did though because that was one of the best games I've played last year in some time.
>>
>>3631093
Its the closest thing to 3d. It works fine, the controls are just fucked up on that game.
>>
>>3631093
Looks good and allows moving in multiple directions.
>>
>>3631093
anybody have a gif of jumping across the stream in Last Ninja
>>
>>3631442
>>3631102
Isometric sucked until we had mouse controls or analog sticks, by then devs were already making real 3D games. It was a cute fake-3D gimmick.
>>
>>3631093

Give a 3D style graphics. At the time your options are top down, or side scrolling. Both feel more flat.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
This is why I could never get the appeal of games like Solstice. Yes, it does sound pretty cool in concept, but the isometric view really is a disservice to the platforming.
>>
The advantage is a sense of 3D before 3D was technically possible.
>>
>>3631097
That's funny, because I see three.
>>
>>3632461
Are you counting the top as a side??
>>
File: darksaviorscr.png (340KB, 598x407px) Image search: [Google]
darksaviorscr.png
340KB, 598x407px
>>3631093
It's far more visually interesting

also, dark savior > landstalker
>>
it looks twice as good
>>
>>3631581
>Isometric sucked until we had mouse controls or analog sticks
Wouldn't those make moving around more disorienting unless you were making a Marble Madness-styled game?
>>
>>3631093
I don't see how it makes platforming hard, you just press diagonally instead of straight. That might be a problem with a shtty controller, but certainly not with the controller Landstalker was made for.
>>
File: landstalker2.jpg (98KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
landstalker2.jpg
98KB, 640x448px
>>3633817
>you just press diagonally

have you even played the game, buddy?
>>
>>3634019
Yeah. Several times. And puzzles like that one are way simpler than they appear. Literally just need to jump in straight (diagonal) lines on that screen. The tricky part is knowing how to look at the platforms, since there's no easy way to tell their distance and placement, the jumping is simple as.
>>
play alundra instead
>>
>>3633817
If I'm reading that correctly, you can ONLY go screen-diagonally/game-straight, and not screen-straight/game-diagonally? Or am I reading that picture wrong?
>>
>>3632480
I 100% agree with you. Dark Stalker is by far one of my favorite saturn games. The multiple parallels and different styles of gameplay made it so interesting. The mine cart stages had me pulling y hair out though
>>
>>3634039
tell me what you want, i actually like the game and all but the plattforming sequences are a mess, even with experience its really hard to judge sometimes where a plattform is located in the space, at what height and so on, its often guesswork where anything is in relation to anything else. the jumping controls become rough estimations rather than precise judgments which can become infuriating on moving plattforms over dark holes
>>
>>3632480
>dark savior > landstalker
lol no

worse puzzles, terrible battle system. the only thing going for it is the story
>>
>>3631093
is it just me or those guy look suspiciously like ewoks?
>>
File: vampirehunter.jpg (115KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
vampirehunter.jpg
115KB, 640x640px
>>3634487
>Dark Stalker is by far one of my favorite saturn games

Mine too!
>>
>>3638147
I never noticed. It is quite likely that they were inspired by Ewoks, though. It's hard to find a 90's Japanese RPG without a tonne of Star Wars influence.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.