[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I a retard for wanting one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: images.jpg (22KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
22KB, 512x288px
I don't wanna fuck up my regular gameboy, and have something cheap to throw in my bag on a trip. Is this my best option?
>>
Sure
>>
If you want one...get one?
Many people are satisfied with it.
Many people are dissatisfied with it.
You'll know which one you are when you actually play with one.
I would try it.
>>
>>3630541
U gotta get better taste man that thing is major lame as r u for wanting it
>>
File: IMG_20161122_121615.jpg (24KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161122_121615.jpg
24KB, 512x384px
>>3630574
I guess I won't know till I try, true. Only thing that's bothering me in the screen is stretched slightly.
>>3630578
Sure. I'm lame for not wanting to keep my regular GBC in good condition.

I dunno, I could emulate on my phone but that seems like a lame ass option.
Anyone tried these hardware clones?
>>
>>3630580
gb is lame as r U
>>
>>3630580
Just play your regular gbc fag
>like omg i dont wanna play it cuz i wanna keep it nice or whatevrr
>>
Is that actually a lit screen?

Because fuck I'd get one.
>>
>colour
>>
File: sany5515.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sany5515.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>3630609
Screen is slightly wider according to videos I've seen, so games are slightly squished. Apart from that the lit screen is tempting.

>>3630610
Also I'm fine with real spelling, not that incorrect american shit.
>>
>>3630618
From the sound of it there's a few models out there with 60 built in games.

For a 3rd Party it sounds decent.
>>
>>3630541
What's the point? PSPs are cheap as fuck these days, have square pixels, and can do other consoles as well.
>>
File: merio.gif (523KB, 412x412px) Image search: [Google]
merio.gif
523KB, 412x412px
>>3630673
>playing gameboy on a psp
>>
>>3630580
Just buy another gbc they're cheap as fuck
>>
>Also I'm fine with real spelling, not that incorrect american shit.
Oh, so you mean spelling things verbatim and with refined phonetics rather than the backwards mushmouthed faggot vernacular of our less evolved, snaggletooth descendants?
>>
>>3631397
Forgot the (you) for
>>3630618
>>
>>3630618
Damn that screen looks gorgeous. I could deal with stretching for that.
>>
>>3630574
Because the build quality varies for each unit. In my case I bought two, but mine came with an issue with the sound. It didn't play loud enough, and if I turned the volume to the maximum level, it would sometimes not turn down if I tried right after. I bought another one later and it worked fine.
>>
>>3630618
>>3631430

Honestly, the change in aspect ratio is only noticeable when the thing is sitting next to an actual GBC. Otherwise, you won't even notice.
>>
>>3630541

Go for it.

I got one and love it a whole bunch.
>>
>>3631430

and yes, the screen looks great
>>
>>3631397
>descendants

ascendants*
>>
Is it an emulator? If so, I could mod a real GB case into something way better probably for a fraction of the cost...
>>
>>3631514
It's a hardware clone, not an emulator.
>>
>>3631984
Same thing in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>3630541
They're cool, I have one and aside from a dead pixel the screen is very nice. Buttons aren't perfect but you get used to them quickly. I play it way more than my actual GBC if that tells you anything.
>>
Just use your GBC, those things are impossible to destroy.
>>
>>3631984
Do you mean FPGA or an actual hardware clone? FPGAs still suffer from all the limitations of the emulators their implementations are based on.
>>
>>3631489
Sweet. That's been my biggest worry honestly.
>>
>>3630574
I'm pretty sure they don't make these in the GBC form factor anymore so you should get one now if you want one. They're made in GBA SP cases now unfortunately.
>>
>>3631489
Can you adjust brightness? My eyes are rill sensitive
>>
>>3630541
>Am I a retard for wanting one?
Yes
>>
>>3630541
>fuck up gameboy
>>
File: 20160927_041858.jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160927_041858.jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
>>3630541
I own one and I love it. The screen is much brighter and more colorful than my front-lit GBC, and the plastic quality is actually very close to Nintendo. It's good and dense and there's no creaking.

The horizontal resolution is actually integer-scaled so you won't see any "shimmering" when going left to right in side scrollers, although the vertical resolution isn't integer scaled so you will see a little bit in games like Pokemon and Zelda with lots of vertical scrolling. I own a McWill game gear though so non-integer scaling isn't a deal breaker for me anyway.

The only things that are a little wonky in my opinion are the built-in games and the D-pad. The D-pad is good although it's possible to push dead center which initially I found made playing Metal Gear Solid a bit more difficult, however I once I got used to it it was fine. I could swap it out for a real GBC pad sometime but I think the stock one is alright.

Honestly I almost never use my original GBC anymore, which is a little sad given how much effort I put into restoring and modding it. I will probably take the GBAmp 3 out of it and put it in my modded GBA instead since the GB Boy Colour is loud enough for me and now I'd like for my GBA to be quite a bit louder than it is.
>>
>>3631397
White america was basically created when the english stuffed all their religious zealots on a boat and told them to fuck off. No wonder your spelling went to shit. Fucking "Airplane" indeed.
>>
this thread convinced me to buy one, just ordered it off amazon. going to get a flashcart next
>>
Just emulate on your smarthphone
>>
Me too!
$ 29.69 and now i'm waiting...
>>
>>3632009
It's actually not at all.
>>3632065
It's a hardware clone, not an FPGA clone. FPGA clones are too expensive, hardware that could run an emulator is too expensive (we're talking dirt-cheap Chinese products here), a GBOAC is cheap and able to be mass-produced at very, very low cost. It will still have issues inherent in a clone, but it is what it is. Look at Famiclones for an idea; sound isn't perfect, compatibility isn't flawless, but the experience is altogether playable, and incredibly cheap. The advantages and disadvantages are clear. I personally would take a clone over a software emulator, but both can be done well; emulation is just a lot more expensive.
>>
>>3632207

This. You can beat a goat to death with it and it will still function normally...
>>
>>3630578
>as r u
Don't mind me, just stealin' this meme
>>
I wanted one a while ago. And then I've heard how awful it sounds.

I don't want it anymore.
>>
> Look at Famiclones for an idea; sound isn't perfect, compatibility isn't flawless,

some familcone outperforms NES in compatibility and sound
>>
>>3630850
Every gameboy until SP is objectively inferior, no backlight. Emulating on PSP or DS is best option.
>>
Why not just get an Android phone and put RetroArch on it?
>>
>>3632682
coz no one will listen to a tripfag
>>
>>3632682
Because emulating anything on a phone is comically pleb-tier also >>3632690
>>
>>3632691
Why? I was going to get a Bluetooth controller and play games/nes/genesis/etc games on my phone. PSP just doesn't run a lot of snes games well.
>>
>>3632516
>FPGA clones are too expensive

FPGAs capable of something like this have been dirt cheap for a few years now...
>>
>>3632691
Is a GB Boy objectively better than RetroArch on a droid with clip-on bluetooth controller?
>>
>>3632821
If you want something that mimics the authentic Gameboy experience, yes. And it's only $30.

You can do a lot with an android phone but having an actual system to play on has an immense nostalgia value. I own a Vita that I play almost every day but I usually take at least one on my old handhelds with me too any time I expect to have downtime away from home.
>>
>>3632392
They're like $60 on Amazon
>>
>>3632682
>>3632824
Because we're all secular liberals who voted for obama.
>>
>>3630541
I have one and its OK, its not perfect though.

Mine has build-in multicart which has 90% puzzle games and few platformers, but no repeats which is neat.

>d-pad is x360-tier shit
>on mine speaker died, headphone port works though. Tired replacing it but still nothing.
>screen is in wrong aspect-ratio, its wider than it should be and has checker-board pattern to it
>sometimes audio fucks up(one channel goes silent, but at most time it fixes it by itself), it happens rarely though

>>3632187
Nope
>>
>>3632392
>>3633178
I got mine on AliExpress and I only paid $28. You will have to wait longer for shipping but I think it's worth it.
>>
>>3633220
Most sellers are shipping from China on amazon. Probably without the epacket shipping in Amazon too
>>
>Am I a retard for wanting one?
>stretched image
>audio issues
>other performance issues
>supporting chink bootlegging
Yes you are.
>>
File: destroy_all_monsters_01.jpg (559KB, 1982x1391px) Image search: [Google]
destroy_all_monsters_01.jpg
559KB, 1982x1391px
>>3633456

Wanting to buy a disposable clone that can be destroyed or lost without guilt while keeping the original viable for future generations as well as yourself, is the definition of a conscientious collector.

Get fucked
>>
>>3633538
Why not play on a real GameBoy Color
>>
>>3633552

Because if you leave your favorite Gameboy in Guam, It's forever lost in Guam. Did you even read op's question.
>>
>>3633178
>>3633220
i have prime so its going to be half off and will get here faster so whatever
>>
>>3630541

>don't wanna fuck up my regular gameboy
>cheap to throw in my bag on a trip

yerp
>>
>>3630541

OP why dont you get a PSP and emulate
>>
File: funky coing.jpg (12KB, 236x251px) Image search: [Google]
funky coing.jpg
12KB, 236x251px
I just grabbed one of these because of the screen and built in puzzle games. Hope I made a good choice. I'm really fucking excited since I use transit a lot. Plus I want to do another run of DKL3 so this is perfect.
>>
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
>>
>>3637096

I hope you're ready to get bullied and have all the hot girls laugh at you.
>>
File: smarties2.jpg (3MB, 3543x2362px) Image search: [Google]
smarties2.jpg
3MB, 3543x2362px
>>3635727
Ew. No. I hate emulation. Never feels quite right to play.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.