[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proto-Video Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (115KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 500x600px
So when I was rewatching the film "Jaws", I noticed a coin-operated arcade machine in one scene. But this movie was filmed in 1974, long before true computer games like Space Invaders were widely playable. I knew that simple non-digital arcade machines had been around for a long time (for example, pinball machines), but I'd never really thought about them.

However, the machine in the movie was a light-gun style game which seems to be pretty sophisticated. So I looked into these early "electro-mechanical" games, and some of them look pretty interesting. According to Wikipedia, some used full film-projectors with live-action footage (like Nintendo's "Wild Gunman"), and others incorporate mechanical models along with fairly complex controls (like Sega's "Missile").

So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is curious about these "proto-video games". Does anyone have experience with these devices? Do you know any of these games that were particularly fun / unique / stupid? Or is this genre so catastrophically simple and boring that it's not even worth discussing?
>>
I love electro-mechanical games but they're an experience that really has to be had first hand. There's no emulating them. I would really like to have one in my home arcade because they're more beautiful and unique as art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WSYdn1b8I
>>
>>3628327
that's pretty fucking incredible

I can only imagine what maintenance is like though
>>
>>3628383
Yeah, I have a vintage Pachinko machine and a mantle clock both of which I should really get finished refurbishing before I try to pick up historically significant pieces even though I know where some are sitting.
>>
File: kdriver4[1].jpg (169KB, 1000x1298px) Image search: [Google]
kdriver4[1].jpg
169KB, 1000x1298px
Another I have a boner for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYqmaHw1UY
>>
Very cool stuff, never really thought about these until now. So I guess I have something new to dive into.
>>
>>3628306
I always liked the old-fashioned light-gun shooting gallery games like the ones at Disneyland. There's something satisfying about the communal aspect of trying to outshoot all the other people around you.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember a carnival game where you tried to shoot out a star from a piece of paper with a fuckin' BB MACHINE GUN...that was badass as a kid.
>>
Well I know about Wild Gunman, it was shown in Back to the Future II.
>>
>>3628327
I remember playing this. Thanks for the video!
>>
>>3628719
Fuck yes shot out the furthest away star at a carnival when I was 8 and won the fucking sega cd prize, it was the best day of my life
>>
>>3629000
Gonna let you in on something... Someone might sperg out on what you said.
>>
File: image_313919_fit_940[1].jpg (51KB, 940x529px) Image search: [Google]
image_313919_fit_940[1].jpg
51KB, 940x529px
>>3629518
>yfw Vs. Wild Gunman is actually a remake of an EM game
>>
File: hq00l9m1.jpg (1MB, 2858x2074px) Image search: [Google]
hq00l9m1.jpg
1MB, 2858x2074px
>>3628327
Reminds me of this toy I had when I was a kid but way more impressive.
>>
>>3630017
Our local arcade had one of these. My dad and my brother were absolutely obsessed. You reaĺy had to draw and shoot at the perfect second for it to register.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.