[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which had the better library? The Genesis or the Saturn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

File: maxresdefault.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
Which had the better library?

The Genesis or the Saturn?
>>
genesis, but 3d blast wasn't a good game on either.
>>
>>3625973

love the saturn, but genesis has the better library, by far.
>>
>>3625973
No one will say Saturn.

Also, based on this pic alone, I think 3D Blast looks better on genesis due to the color scheme
>>
>>3625987
3D Blast had the same problems as Knuckles Chaotix, most of which stemmed from really shitty game mechanics. Now I'm no graphics whore, but they're both really pretty to look at
>>
>>3625973
Saturn. It's got more fighters, shmups, RPGs, and strategy games to choose from, giving it an edge in terms of having a more diverse library. Mega Drive only really excelled at sidescrolling 2D games, but even then MD's best can't compete against, say, Clockwork Knight 2.
>>
>>3625973
>Clockwork Knight 2
Shit taste
>>
The Genesis versions of anything were always the worst

>Zombies ate my neighbors
>3D Blast
>>
Saturn

Most of the exclusives on the Genesis were garbage, everything else was a multiplat. Sonic isn't fun. Saturn has better shmups.
>>
Saturn for hipsters
Genesis for hardcore gamers
>>
>>3626047

Is this the spiciest new meme around here? Everything ran better on the Genesis because it had a better processor.
>>
>>3626084
>Sanic
>hardcore
Lmfao.
>>
File: 1479423894514.jpg (45KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
1479423894514.jpg
45KB, 600x606px
>>3626047
>Judging a console based on multiplats
>>
File: vf2.jpg (77KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
vf2.jpg
77KB, 640x640px
Genesissies on suicide watch.
>>
File: Alien_Soldier_Coverart[1].png (200KB, 256x360px) Image search: [Google]
Alien_Soldier_Coverart[1].png
200KB, 256x360px
Better than all Saturn shit.
>>
>>3626121
Casual trash.
>>
>>3626014

You're right in that Chaotix's gameplay mechanics are inherently broken, but it's a much better game overall. Co-op is stupidly fun.
>>
>>3626141

Post your no-damage run.
>>
File: darius-gaiden.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
darius-gaiden.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>3625973

If shmups were your thing then the Saturn is King.
>>
>>3626167
Don't have to. The health bar and reflect force prove it was designed for casuals.
>>
>>3626181
So a game is for casuals if it has a health bar?
>>
>>3626047
Genesis had a better library but Saturn is more interesting because of the unreleased Jap games.

Also Genesis 3D Blast > Saturn 3D Blast, the music on the Saturn version blows ass.
>>
>>3626181

>Don't have to.

Because you can't.

Poser tryhards like you are the clowns of /vr/.
>>
File: 1475778977462.png (92KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1475778977462.png
92KB, 250x238px
>>3626238

>the music on the Saturn version blows ass.

It's literally the one good thing about it.
>>
File: pepe.png (1MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
1MB, 1080x1080px
I like Saturn better and I even prefer the Genesis over the SNES
>>
>>3626047
Bait.
>>
>>3625973
I prefer the Genesis over the Saturn. Saturn has way better 2d fighters, rpg's, and panzer dragoon. But Genesis has ;
1. Game longevity. Carts r gunna last forever unlike cds, I mean I know u can burn discs but I like owning the original copies.
2. Portability with the nomad.
3. Way cheaper prices
4. more well rounded library.
>>
>>3626369

>portability
>Nomad

Enjoy your 25 minutes of game bro.
>>
>>3626370
if you have nice batteries i've gotten mine to last 8~ hours
>>
>>3626369
>nomad
That brick is hardly portable.
>>
>>3626378
Yeah it's crappy in comparison to the Saturn handheld or the snes handheld or the nes handheld or the neo geo aes handheld...oh wait they don't exist.
Nomad 4 lyfe.
Stuff it.
>>
File: taromaru.jpg (40KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
taromaru.jpg
40KB, 320x240px
Mega Drive only wishes it had a sidescroller this good.
>>
If we're talkin' specifically NA market, Genesis wins by far. Saturn only got a fraction of the games that other markets got over here. Globally, Saturn has better titles in nearly every genre except 2d platformer and rpg.
>>
I don't read moon or even own a chipped Saturn so it's automatically less accessible to me. Genesis is pretty good but I don't have enough experience with either system to fairly compare the two.

If you asked me to compare n64 and SNES then I'd have more to go on.

Yes, I'm a typical filthy casual North American Nintendo pleb. I'd fucking love to get into the Saturn library some time but emulation for that system isn't that good the last time I checked, and I honestly think I'm too autistic to learn Japanese.
>>
>>3626097
>Everything ran better on the Genesis because it had a better processor

Umm, no. The SNES had a dedicated GPU working alongside the main CPU so it ran just as fine. Bad programming is to blame for SNES slowdowns since it was a pain in the ass to develop for (the whole not register oriented design and having to keep switching between 8bit to 16bit mode was a nightmare). Same reason why a lot of Genesis games sounded .. not so accomplishing. You needed someone who actually knew how to deal with the chip they were working with.
>>
>>3626238
>unreleased Jap games
You mean like prototypes or unfinished games without retail release that were dumped later? Are there a lot of "unreleased" games?
>>
>>3626691
Think he meant to say unlocalized.
>>
>>3626631
You talk as if SNES having a dedicated video chip is some kind of unique feature

The fact is that it wasn't just SNES's CPU that was slow but all of its RAM was slow too. That fact cripples its CPU and PPU.
>>
>>3626394

I was just playing this tonight. God damn it's good.

Genesis has good sidescrollers though, Super Shinobi, Shinobi III, Alien Soldier come to mind.
>>
File: Alisia Dragoon (E) [!]_017.gif (17KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Alisia Dragoon (E) [!]_017.gif
17KB, 320x224px
>>3626394
It has better
>>
>>3627258
That game's difficulty nosedives when you realize that a rolling thunder with Alisia's hand in the enemy hitbox will pretty much instakill anything in the game.
>>
>>3625973

Genesis by far. But both systems have incredibly underrated libraries.
>>
File: Hyaenidae.jpg (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Hyaenidae.jpg
14KB, 250x250px
>>3626394
>Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
>Good
>>
>>3626383
>What is the supaboy?
>>
>>3627295

It's not good?
>>
>ComparandoGames
>>
File: 144.jpg (83KB, 480x325px) Image search: [Google]
144.jpg
83KB, 480x325px
>>3627439
Garbage action game with mechanics not used really in any other fighting game because they are awkward. Half the time you're shooting at fireballs because the developers couldn't be bothered to create actual enemies
>>
>>3627483

>mechanics not used really in any other fighting game

>fighting game
You mean action game, right?
If you mean charging your attack, that mechanic was used in lot of games, fighting games included.

>they are awkward

I thought they were very intuitive I especially like you can dash mid-air. The game has pretty nice controls and mechanics, maybe different strokes, etc.

>couldn't be bothered to create actual enemies

The fireballs/spirits were annoying and a common zako, but there are other enemies in the game, like the tengu, several colored ninjas, kunoichis, sorceresses, skeletons (including the giant skeleton on the city) etc.

Anyway I'm sure you're baiting, or maybe you genuinely don't like it, but I think it's brilliant. Not worth the price collectors are asking for, but it's pretty damn worth giving it a try. Maybe it's a love or hate game, I loved it. Any fan of side-scrolling action must try it.
>>
>>3626394
Honorary Treasure game. Yes, it's that damn good.
>>
>>3626273
t. Treasurefag
>>
>>3628181

>if you like a Treasure game, you are a "Treasurefag"

Yeah anon, we're all treasurefags. It's a conspiracy against your shit taste and poor gaming skills.
>>
>>3628189
>skills

Not a requirement for Treasure games.
>>
>>3628194

Post your no-damage runs then.
>>
>>3625987

You have to be over 18 to use this site.
>>
>>3628281

How is that related to his post though?
>>
>>3628281
I'm fairly certain that anyone 18 years of age as of right now probably has never played Genesis or Saturn games.
>>
File: giggle.png (142KB, 816x587px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.png
142KB, 816x587px
>>3628197
>Treasurefags have resorted to /jp/-tier shitposting
>>
File: srtfamuro.gif (2KB, 80x80px) Image search: [Google]
srtfamuro.gif
2KB, 80x80px
>>3628304

Still better than your poor attempt at being a contrarian clown.
>>
File: techno clash.png (278KB, 350x493px) Image search: [Google]
techno clash.png
278KB, 350x493px
C H E C K M 8
H
E
C
K
M
>>
>>3628358
>contrarian

Nice buzzword, Treasurefag.
>>
>>3628381

It's not a buzzword if it describes you, though.

I, on the other hand, never said anything to denote I'm a "Treasurefag". Hell, I don't think I've played a quarter of their works, only played their Genesis stuff and not even all of it.

Feel free to make a comeback, but you've already lost, contrarian shitposter clown.
>>
>>3628304
https://warosu.org/vr/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=giggle.png&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

Nice shitposting.
>>
>>3628398
>contrarian

Now I'm convinced that Treasurefags only know buzzwords.
>>
>>3628408

But he is right, you're a contrarian, you think your unpopular, lonely opinion holds any weight at all.
>>
>>3628408

Treasurefag is practically a buzzword. Only you use it, but it's still a buzzword.
>>
>>3628304

Said the guy making a /v/ post.
>>
>>3625973
Genesis easily, and I love the Saturn.

>>3626394
Taromaru is really fucking brilliant. It's got a bit of a curve to get into it, but not as much as say, Alien Soldier (the controls finally clicked with me a few months ago -- I'm still kind of bad, but I'm having a blast with it)

>>3628358
why would you reply to that faggot
why would you reply to that faggot more than once

>>3626631
>Umm, no. The SNES had a dedicated GPU working alongside the main CPU so it ran just as fine
you mean like most hardware of the day? it's not like the Genesis has to draw all of its graphics in software either, it has a VDP chip just for that purpose
shit, the SNES's PPU doesn't even offload much more than other display systems of the era

The SNES is slow as balls. The SNES's CPU is a tad better than 2/3rds the speed of the Genesis' CPU, and that's under ideal conditions -- and it could quite literally be about half as fast under similar workloads (the better IPC of the 65c816 vs the 68000 offsets the "massive" clockrate difference, but not by enough).

SNES had its advantages:
>more addressable colors, more colors on screen, and a lot more for both
>sampled audio is more flexible than FM audio
>background scaling and blending
and its drawbacks:
>64kB of sound ram means SNES audio is really low quality and muddy
>SNES's video is drawn at lower resolution, devs often didn't bother accounting for aspect ratio correction
>even with identical CPUs, memory access on the SNES is REALLY slow as shit, part of the whole "blast processing" thing Sega advertised was the fact that the Genesis really could load and process data more quickly than the competition
>SNES games outright have less enemies/objects on screen at once than Genesis games

still, better graphics and sound is a better selling point, or would be if it weren't for the fact that the SNES had two fucking years of tech improvements before release, there's no reason it shouldn't have trounced the Genesis in all aspects
>>
>>3628358
>>3628398
>>3628403
>>3628414
>>3628419
>>3628424
TIDF, everyone.

Why can't they understand that not everyone has to love their gimmicky, overrated, casual crap?
>>
>>3626706
>The fact is that it wasn't just SNES's CPU that was slow
>fact

Opinion. That misconception usually comes from simply comparing raw clock rates which isn't a good way to measure CPU effective speed. That's specifically true when we consider the SNES could generally take less steps to execute basic instructions than the opposition. For instance, if we measure how many million instructions per second they can execute, the 5a22 does 1.5 mips, while the 68k does 1.3.

>all of its RAM was slow

Again with the "slow" thing. CPU access to RAM has a difference of 3mb to 5mb per second between the two. Seeing as they both didn't need to transfer big chunks of data, that difference is virtually irrelevant. And that's not even taking into account how the SNES has twice the amount of main RAM to work with. Talk about having to deal with such a little amount of RAM not crippling a CPU.
>>
>>3628435

I don't give a shit about Treasure, I've enjoyed all of one of their games.

Also why are you saying "everyone"? It's just you.
>>
>>3628429
>The SNES is slow as balls. The SNES's CPU is a tad better than 2/3rds the speed of the Genesis' CPU

Not true.

>64kB of sound ram means SNES audio is really low quality and muddy

8kb of sound ram isn't any better.

>even with identical CPUs, memory access on the SNES is REALLY slow as shit

Not much slower than Genesis. See >>3628446.
>>
>>3628450
>Treasurefags in charge of reading comprehension
>>
>>3628460

Oh, so you're out of gas? Have your last (You)
>>
>>3628429
>why would you reply to that faggot
>why would you reply to that faggot more than once

It's fun fucking with his mental illness.
He's always around waiting for someone to mention a treasure game in order to use his "treasurefag" boogeyman.
>>
>>3626274
>>3626238

Saturn soundtrack is alright, but Genesis soundtrack is fucking great.
>>
>>3628446
>Opinion. That misconception usually comes from simply comparing raw clock rates which isn't a good way to measure CPU effective speed

Nope. The best assembly programmers have estimated that the 65c8 only has 50% more performance than the 68k per-clock under the most ideal conditions. Given that the Genesis 68k was clocked twice as fast, that puts the SNES CPU at 75% of the performance under the best scenario. This guy is right >>3628429

However, one must also remember that the SNES CPU speed is variable. It's usually lower than the 3.58mhz that I've used for estimation above.

On the other hand, under its ideal conditions (think vector ops) the 68k is like 3 to 4 times faster per clock. In summary, the SNES CPU is a piece of shit.

>For instance, if we measure how many million instructions per second they can execute, the 5a22 does 1.5 mips, while the 68k does 1.3.

This is ironic. Do you realize using MIPS as a performance indicator is just as stupid as looking at clock speed? The 65c8 supports 8 bit ops while the 68k doesn't. Obviously if you support small ops you can get more MIPS but that doesn't say anything about real world performance.

>Again with the "slow" thing. CPU access to RAM has a difference of 3mb to 5mb per second between the two

Not really a small difference when you consider SNES main bandwidth is around 2.5 MB/s. Genesis is like 2 to 3 times higher.

>Seeing as they both didn't need to transfer big chunks of data

You can't be this stupid. Context motherfucker.

>that's not even taking into account how the SNES has twice the amount of main RAM

SNES actually needs more RAM to do comparable things as the sprites have a higher color depth and the PPU uses a less compressible sprite format. It's better to have faster RAM than more of it, particularly for a non-framebuffer based system.

>>3628458
>8kb of sound ram isn't any better.

FM doesn't need sound RAM to work. Both SNES and Genesis have 8 KB of sound RAM per PCM channel.
>>
File: 1479171915166.png (65KB, 253x238px) Image search: [Google]
1479171915166.png
65KB, 253x238px
>Browsing SNES/Genesis stuff on Ebay

>As usual everything SNES related is basically faggots just trying to gouge the fuck out of you because "muh 'stalgia"

>Jump over to Genesis offers

>Plenty of Genesis carts (many of them considered must play titles) for dirt cheap

>Consoles with game bundles $40+ instead of SNESfags wanting $120+ for a stand alone console and controller

Why is this? Is it just because the Genesis wasn't as successful?

Christ, I can get all the Sonic games for dirt cheap if I wanted..
>>
>>3625987
It was a good game.
It should just have been called Flicky's Island 3D, not Sonic.
>>
>>3628301
Doesn't matter anyway since if an 18 year old on here admits to being 18 and never played those consoles then they'd be called ignorant babbies and if they had played them then they'd be called retro hipster trash.
>>
>>3626171
close
your
eyes
>>
>>3628761
It's not that the genesis was more successful but that history looks more kindly on Nintendo than Sega.
>>
>>3628804
*Less
>>
>>3628586
>The best assembly programmers have estimated that the 65c8 only has 50% more performance than the 68k per-clock under the most ideal conditions. Given that the Genesis 68k was clocked twice as fast, that puts the SNES CPU at 75% of the performance under the best scenario
Sours your ass?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.