[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metroid-like games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 9

File: game-box_chronique-03_image-1.jpg (3MB, 2100x1536px) Image search: [Google]
game-box_chronique-03_image-1.jpg
3MB, 2100x1536px
What are so good Metroid-like games?

I just played Super Metroid and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue and I'm begging for more.

I already know about SOTN thank you.
>>
>>3625292
There aren't all that many that are 5th gen and prior, but you'd really enjoy Castle in the Darkness and La Mulana
>>
>>3625294
>Castle in the Darkness

That looks nice indeed, I'll probably give it a try.

I tried getting into La Mulana a while back but stopped playing after 2-3hours. I'm not sure why but it didn't hook me up.

Have you tried Odallus: The Dark Call ? I quite enjoyed it.
>>
>>3625292
There's a whole genre of games called "Metroidvania"

Try googling it. Also consider Super Metroid hacks. I especially recommend Eris and Hyper Metroid.
>>
>>3625370
Yes but I was hoping people here could recommend Metroid inspired retro games that I'm unaware of.
>>
>>3625292
dust : an eleysian tale

I just finished Metroid zero mission. I thought it was absolutely the best Metroid until end game where you have to sneak around for a while which was so awful.
>>
>>3625618
>I just finished Metroid zero mission. I thought it was absolutely the best Metroid until end game where you have to sneak around for a while which was so awful.

Same here, and I played Fusion just before that. I hated how in Fusion at times the road back was blocked, especially near the end where if you want to go look for items using new power ups you have to go through secret paths, which is just retarded.

I beat Zero Mission but still had no screw attack, and I think I was missing a way to destroy high speed blocks without momentum, because there were plenty of those. I still did 81% which was better than my SM 72% and Fusion 68%.
>>
>>3625618
Thankfully that part is quite short
>>
turrican
wonderboy 3
shantae
zillion
impossible mission
>>
>>3625292
Theres a good retro themed game on Steam and PSN called Axiom Verge. That game is pretty fun.
>>
>>3625292
AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake is a good game too.
>>
>>3625895
Ha thanks, had no idea this existed
>>
AM2R!!!!!!!
>>
File: 2362336-nes_ufouria_eu.jpg (3MB, 1537x2100px) Image search: [Google]
2362336-nes_ufouria_eu.jpg
3MB, 1537x2100px
Ufouria
>>
>>3625895
Messing up the remaining metroid counter was unforgiveable
>>
Axiom Verge is damn near perfect
>>
>>3625983
Hell yeah it is.
>>
>>3625618
>I thought it was absolutely the best Metroid until end game where you have to sneak around for a while which was so awful.
Agreed, dunno why they couldn't leave well enough alone
>>
>>3625974
How did they mess it up? It worked much better as area-specific and made more sense more-wise too.
>>
>>3625292
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
>>
>>3625292
The Goonies II
>>
>>3625292
Legacy of the Wizard.
>>
>>3625618
>>3626197
You can beat that section in like 10 minutes, what's the big deal?
It's not even bad.
>>
the exploration and solid progression system, the games sometimes leave shit in early areas just out of your reach so it gets your mouth water for shit that lets you reach those areas, its all about discovery senpai
>>
>>3627302
It's short, but that doesn't change the fact that it's out of place and badly designed.
>>
>>3627304
I liked it. I thought it offered a welcome change of space, and the design was good, it was really tense. Then again I'm also a fan of survival horror so that helps.
Also it was nice to see Samus in action without the suit, and the dichotomy of strength without it helps make you feel stronger once you do get the suit back. It's a real pleasure to kill the alien pirates once you get the suit back as a consequence.
>>
I gave up on Castle In The Darkness. Fuck that game, I'm turning in round trying to find an old path I saw before, but the lack of map and the death traps every two steps make it such a chore.

Started AM2R instead and it seems really good. What's wrong with the Metroid counter?
>>
>>3627357
CitD is one of those "You will die a lot and you will die all the time so get used to it" kinds of games. It's one of the few that actually do it decently as opposed to I Wanna Be The Guy which is made of dick traps
>>
>>3625370
do I need to be a pro wallkicker to play any of those hacks?
>>
>>3625974
>>3626208
Believe it or not, the original Metroid II already did that. If you pause the game, the counter will show you how many metroids are left in the specific area you are in.
>>
>>3625370
>Super Metroid hacks
Nothing comes remotely close to Super Zero Mission in terms of overall quality. Heck, I beat it with using a save state only at one point which I found a little less than fair.

A honorable mention goes to Super Metroid Legacy which doesn't have anything fancy like all SZM, but is a solid "alternate quest" for someone who beat the original and wants more.
>>
>>3625602
>Metroid inspired retro games

Turrican 1 & 2 for Amiga are partially Metroid-inspired (tough the gameplay is much less adventure and much more arcade-like, still the levels are big and non-linear).
>>
>>3625758
>I think I was missing a way to destroy high speed blocks without momentum, because there were plenty of those

You do realize that you can keep your shinespark charge for a limited time and carry it over to another place just around the corner? Because it sounds like you missed this mechanic entirely, while it is absolutely crucial if trying to get even remotely close to 100%.
>>
Xeodrifterâ„¢ is quite fun. Super short though like 2h at a push.
>>
>>3625898
>this existed
Yea, the past tense is more appropriate here than you may have realized it. Nintendo C&D'd the project to hell so no further updates beyond 1.01 will come from the developer and you'll need to search a bit harder to find it as the original download links are all dead.
>>
>>3625920
>Nintendo killed the AM2R star
>>
>>3625974
You do realize that in the game settings you can switch the counter from local to global (or disable it altogether)?
>>
>>3627315
>Also it was nice to see Samus in action without the suit, and the dichotomy of strength without it helps make you feel stronger once you do get the suit back. It's a real pleasure to kill the alien pirates once you get the suit back as a consequence.
Yea, getting the suit back (complete with the three "unknown items" now unlocked) was one of the most glorious moments.
>>
>>3627379
>"You will die a lot and you will die all the time so get used to it" kinds of games
Like Another World perhaps?
>>
>>3627357
>What's wrong with the Metroid counter?
By default it's set to local (i.e. showing the number of metroids left in the current area). You can switch it to global or disable it completely in the game options.
>>
>>3627431
Most random SM hacks yes, but Legacy and Super Zero Mission (the two best SM hacks imho) don't necessarily require it iirc.
>>
>>3627528
thanks, will try those after I finish super metroid randomizer
>>
Goddman, AM2R is better than Fusion and Zero Mission.

>>3627503
I realized that, but I didn't think of using it during those moments....

>>3627525
So it's no problem then.
>>
>>3627597
Theres not too many spineshark tricks you have to do in AM2R iirc. But you will need to do like 2 or 3 spineshark tricks to 100% the game.
>>
File: 2Wgd2_images.png (83KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
2Wgd2_images.png
83KB, 640x960px
>>3625292

One that not many people know is Phantom 2040 for Snes / Genesis. The game is set in a cyberpunk-ish metropolis where you're allowed to go anywhere in the map and make other kind of choices that change the main storyline. Your character starts off with just a punch / kick and basic gun, but he gets stronger as you progress and there are several different weapons to collect. There is also a extensible rope tool that allows you to climb on the walls, spiderman style. Level design is your typical Metroidvania and you sometimes go back to previously visited map locations to access new unlocked areas. Artistically-wise, it's decent. Just enough to get a good atmosphere going. The plot will throw a lot of information at you at the intro, but you'll get a good grasp of it as you play.
>>
Adventure Island 4 is somewhat related.
>>
>>3627304
For a Metroid game I didn't like the stealth section either, but I think that section on its own has the seeds of a solid game of its own. Just set it in a different franchise and you're golden.
>>
>>3628720
>>3627528
>>3627431
Hyper Metroid doesn't need any walljumping or shinesparking, although there is an annoying speed booster puzzle to get to Draygon. Eris I think also doesn't require any shinesparking or walljumping. That's why i recommended them.

Also now that >>3627528 mentions it, I think Legacy falls into that category too. (ie, no shinespark or walljumping required.) Ice Metal Uninstall may fall into that category, but I don't remember exactly.

>>3627495
>Nothing comes remotely close to Super Zero Mission in terms of overall quality
I'd say Hyper Metroid which came out just this year is about the same quality as SZM actually.
>>
>>3627513
did they let it get finished before canning it?
>>
>>3627730
Jesus christ do you have to master shinespark to get them extra items too. They are not essential to beating the game but fuck were they hard to get

would have been swell if someone, somewhere, anywhere mentioned you could recharge your shinespark when you hit down on a diagonal slope
>>
>>3628256
This looks awesome
>>
>>3628754
Yea, it reached version 1.01. But there were yet more updates in store, but then came the C&D.
>>
>>3628727
>I'd say Hyper Metroid which came out just this year is about the same quality as SZM actually.

Huh ok, I'll need to have a look at it then as I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for the tip.
>>
>>3628256
Do you know which version is better ? Snes or megadrive ?
>>
>>3625894
>>3625983
>le axiom vurge meem

God I fucking hate you retards. Always in Metroid threads without fail. Your fucking shitty ass indie game is nowhere near the level of Metroid. I bet you'd all point people to Tonic Trouble too if thats what you qualify as "The next best thing after Super Mario 64" for 3D platforming.
>>
>>3625292
Scurge Hive
>>
File: AM2R 2016-11-21 16-57-10-71.png (53KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
AM2R 2016-11-21 16-57-10-71.png
53KB, 320x240px
Damn this was great.

Any SM hack that feels like a new game?
In the same way something like Infinity would to Mega Man for instance.
>>
>>3629153

Can't tell, they're pretty similar. Genesis has a higher resolution and the graphics look more like a cartoon in comparison to the smoother visuals on Snes which are actually darker besides using more colors. The gun sound effects are a tad annoying on Genesis. Since you'll be shooting all the time in this game, this means a lot.
>>
>>3625292
Not retro vidya, but the neoretro game Axiom Verge should tickle your fancy. Very metroidvania
>>
>>3629250
I heard it was only like 4 hours long.
>>
>>3627495
>Super Zero Mission

This guy talks about it as if it was the second coming of Jesus. Is it really that good?

http://www.metroid-database.com/reviews/mszm.php
>>
>>3627302
it was pretty short. but there I was...enjoying what I felt was the best 2-d Metroid. I couldn't believe I never played this one before. it's better than fusion in almost every way.

then BAM...I'm no longer playing what I feel to be Metroid gameplay but some annoying bullshit. as soon as you get all your gear back it's good again for that short part then the end boss.
>>
>>3629253
If you already know where to go and what to do, that's probably about right. I'd say more like 10 hours for your first playthrough, plus a few more hours to 100% it.

In any case, I'd recommend it as well. It's pretty good for a Metroid-esque experience.
>>
>>3629187
I recommend Super Metroid Z-Factor by Metaquarius.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1199/
>>
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a ton of fun. It's only about six hours long but it's pretty cheap. Definitely recommend.
>>
>>3625758
I liked that part about Fusion actually. Specifically that the environment would change as the outbreak got worse, and the parasites would actively try to block Samus' progress. It made the game world feel a bit more alive for me and I enjoyed having to figure out new paths to get through the same areas.

>>3625618
I'm not sure why people love ZM so much. Is it because of all the extra bosses or the abundance of classic powerups? It just kinda feels like Super but without the obtuseness that makes exploration great. Maybe it's just me getting better at these games by that point, but it felt way too low on enemy and boss resistance as well.
>>
>>3630524
The thing is ZM feels like one huge world, while Fusion is several smaller worlds. I know that technically, it doesn't change much, but it changes the perspective, and the fun of exploration and movement.
Also some people think story get in the way in Fusion. I didn't mind it but... honestly story in Metroid was never good. It's just a stale copy pasting of SCI FI movies.

One thing SM beats all of them in though is atmosphere; the eerie dark atmosphere, that genuinely feels like an alien planet. The others kinda fell in that regard, and "generic space station #" doesn't help.
>>
>>3629264
It's really not.
It's impressive from a technical standpoint because a lot of really neat things are done, but it's just full of artificial difficulty. Also, advanced techniques and bug abuse are required to 100% it.
>>
>>3629187
A new game? Hyper Metroid. Almost completely changes up the physics using the Project Base hack as a base.
Hell, Project Base itself can almost feel like a new game with all the extra rooms it adds in.
>>
File: Hyper Metroid_00025.png (39KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Hyper Metroid_00025.png
39KB, 256x224px
>>3631735
>Hyper Metroid

Yes I'm playing as we speak, and aside a couple of things, I think it is really good indeed.
>>
>>3629080
sick bastards

also to OP I suggest Hyper Metroid. It's more fun than the base game, in my experience
>>
>>3632509
Hyper Metroid has some really good stuff but there are several occasions that is seriously pisses me off and goes too far into "romhack bullshit" mode.
>>
>>3632517
>Hyper Metroid
>romhack bullshit mode
Did we play the same hack?
>>
#1 Super Metroid ZeroMission
#2 Super Metroid Redesign
#3 Super Metroid Redesign: Axeil Edition
#4 Hyper Metroid
#5 Super Metroid z-factor

top5
>>
>>3632905
Whats the dofference between base Redesign and Axeil? I found base Redesign for Wii and I really want to play it on a crt
>>
>>3634279
Axeil is better balanced and more polished than Redesign. It's a good bit more difficult though but not in bullshit ways.
>>
What emulator do you guys use for Legacy? It doesn't seem to work either in ZSNES or SNES9x. I tried both a rom I patched and an already patched rom.

I really want to try another SM hack after Hyper Metroid but all the reviews for the other hacks mention bullshit stuff.
I tried Z Factor and didn't really like the level design.
>>
>>3629253
I think my first playthrough blind was about 12 hours maybe 14. I was trying to 100% it. It was a fun game.
>>
>>3629157
Maybe if you would read the OP you wouldnt be so butthurt. He asked for metroid-like games and that is one.
>>
>>3634379
fuck the reviews.
most of the metroid reviews for redesign or super zeromission are mostly negative on metroid-construction because are frustrated by the difficulty not because the hacks are bad.
they are designed for people who finished super metroid and not for straight up beginner.

dunno, dont get fooled by the reviews and make up ur own mind by playing them.
>>
>>3634786
This.

I hope youre good at wall jumping, and spine sharking. Because if not you probably wont enjoy most metroid hacks.
>>
File: 1467848172859.png (874KB, 629x629px) Image search: [Google]
1467848172859.png
874KB, 629x629px
Anyone get into Super Metroid rom hacks? Do those technically count here?

Metroid:Super Zero Mission and Hyper Metroid were pretty fun. I couldn't get into Metroid: Phazon though.
>>
>>3634869
Did you even read the thread? A good chunk of it is talking about Super Metroid hacks.
>>
>>3625292

Wonderboy 3 for the Master System

The Adams Family for the NES is surprisingly a solid metroid-like adventure game.
>>
>>3634379

Most hacks requires an unheadered rom, Legacy requires a headered one. That may be the case for you.

I played both patched by myself and found already patched on the net and they worked on SNES9x 1.53

Escape2 is pretty beginner friendly. Aside from that, Life, Ice Metal and Phazon are also romhack beginner friendly enough iirc.
>>
>>3634869

Phazon's main flaw is having a lot of empty and pointless long corridors that you most likely will have to go through several times, which makes it easy to being turned off from. Doesn't help that it takes a pretty decent amount of time to get morph ball + bombs, which combined with said flaw it make for a pretty generic 2d platformer until you get those upgrades.
>>
>>3635726
Phazon also changes the world as you progress, so itll take a few runs if you do it all blind to get everything.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.