[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5th generation consoles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

Does /vr/ think that the 5th generation of consoles are underrated these days or perhaps get too much unnecessary dislike?

Consider how many people these days bash games from this generation. Many people actually believe that games from these consoles haven't aged well both in look and gameplay. Even if they aren't trying to be hateful many people might still honestly think that the games have not aged well.

From what I have noticed previous consoles such as SNES, NES and Genesis you won't see or hear as much people say that the classics from these consoles are outright bad today. To me it seems like many see the 5th generation of consoles as love it or hate it.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3623503
Hard to say, it isn't complete shit but it definetly could be better. One thing you can say for certain was that the whole gen is underpowered. most consoles seem too kinda struggle with framerates unlike before.
>>
>>3623726
>forgetting the SNES aka 16 bit slowdown simulator
>>
>>3623730
The Genesis was better at fast action games but the SNES library aged better overall. Call me a filthy casual but Genesis games remind me more of arcade games, while SNES games remind me more of games released for later systems.
>>
I unironically think 5th Generation 3D looks better than muh pixels.
>>
>>3623803
>SNES games remind me more of games released for later systems

This is supposed to be compliment? lmao
>>
>>3623827
SNES games tend to have save systems and more forgiving gameplay mechanics and difficulty than Genesis games, as well as that trademark Nintendo spit shine. I like these things, but I can see why more hardcore players wouldn't.
>>
>>3623503

some graphics sure aged badly (were always bad?), they went from decent, datailed spritework of the 4th gen into butt ugly low poly 3d

now maybe MGS and Resident Evil didn't look that bad, but we also had the wonderful models of FF7 etc. - that's mainly what I mean
>>
>>3623503
It was a dark time. 2D was on the down turn but 3D wasn't really good yet. There were still great games, as there are in every era, but there were a lot of missteps as well. Still good, but overall not one of the strongest generations.
>>
I honestly don't give a single fuck about other people's opinions.

In fact, I DO wish 5th gen gets underrated, or any other gen. Fuck, I wish retro games as a whole weren't popular at all. I don't need other people liking the same stuff I do in order to enjoy it myself. I used to buy old games around 2002/2003 for pennies because the retro collecting fad haven't started yet. People treated pre-6th gen as old trash nobody wanted anymore. And I miss those days.
>>
Other than /vr/ trolls, I haven't met anyone that thinks this.

Considering the leap in technology and the major influence 5th gen games have on modern gaming, I'd say it's the most respected gen nowadays. People may bash games for being "dated," but I still think they respect a lot of those games for their influence. And I think most people making the "dated" argument aren't spending enough time with those games to get back into the controls and gameplay.

I actually think the 5th gen art style will have some kind of revival, similar to pixel art. The low-poly style is already getting popular, especially with sculpture and 3D printing.
>>
>>3624202
>The low-poly style is already getting popular, especially with sculpture and 3D printing.

Pic is a statue in my town. Been here for quite a few years though.
>>
File: 1473208692311.jpg (44KB, 395x495px) Image search: [Google]
1473208692311.jpg
44KB, 395x495px
>>3624202
Fucking this.
>>
>>3624148
>In fact, I DO wish 5th gen gets underrated, or any other gen.
lol

>Fuck, I wish retro games as a whole weren't popular at all.
bwha ha ha ha
>>
The N64 is overrated, the Saturn is underrated, and the PSone is pretty fairly rated.
>>
>>3624287

N64 is overrated by Nintendo fanboys and underrated by anti-nintendo guys. Otherwise it's a correctly rated console.
Saturn is overrated by Sega fanboys and weebs, and underrated by normies/non-asians, so in the west Saturn is, in fact, underrated.
PlayStation is fairly rated, both for its pros and also its cons. It's the most popular console of that era, like the NES was before.
>>
>>3624205
Is that the Sasquatch from Treasure Mathstorm?
>>
File: alexkiddposting.gif (16KB, 540x650px) Image search: [Google]
alexkiddposting.gif
16KB, 540x650px
>>3623503
>Dreamcast
>5th gen
>>
>>3624470
missed the NES and SNES too, huh?
>>
The N64 had a smaller, more refined library that created standards that are still in use today. The wider selection wasn't marvellous, but it's a tradition Nintendo continued with the Gamecube, mostly abandoned with the Wii and tried to recapture with the Wii U, but ran out of steam.

The Playstation was the first proper mainstream games console. As popular as the NES, SNES and Mega Drive were with kids and teens, the Playstation was the first time that a game console was an all-encompassing media machine. Rather than tapping into a niche or expanding a niche further in the mainstream as the most popular systems had done before, the Playstation WAS the mainstream. Other than the Gameboy, nothing came close to what the PSX achieved in terms of market expansion.

The Saturn was... difficult. It had the same refined library of the N64, but down to a razor-sharp point. The very few things it did well (2D fighting games and sprite art), it did better than anything else on the market, to a degree that nothing else could compete on a technical level. But it had even less of that than the N64 did of game-changing 'legends', and is now fondly remembered for being very, very good at very, very few things.

That's my take on it, anyway.
>>
>>3623503
The SNES and Genesis generation aren't looked back on as bad because they were the height of 2D games. NES is fondly looked back on for the games that got things right and set the standard groundwork for SNES/Genesis. They are easy to pick up and play, but plenty of games in the NES generation and before are messy controls wise. They just had plenty of time to develop. By the time most of us here were children, they had refined 2D, so it's pretty easy to look back fondly. Where as 5th was the beginning for 3D games and the learning process of what controls work and what don't. I mean, twin sticks were only introduced to a few games later on in the library and only really for PS1. N64 had its own weird controller that created weird controls for some games. Dreamcast's controller was already 2 steps behind where the direction was heading.

6th generation even still had control problems for 3D games. It wasn't until a few years into 6th that we really got a standard for different types of games. There was no longer a fight for who could come up with the best scheme, and anything that did something outside of the streamlined standard were pretty much bashed for shit controls. At the very least, I think most people can agree that RPGs and platformers from the 5th generation were pretty solid. Various other shooters and action games were hit and miss and tank like controls are very dividing. Still, they experimented with a lot, and helped lay a good list of dos and don'ts for the 6th generation which really solidified what is good and bad. 7th generation, bad games or not, don't have too many games with bad controls. At least, I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's usually just boring game design or bad game design, but the controls are either good or good enough.
>>
>>3623503
The problem with them is that they pushed down ugly blocky blurry 3D graphics down everyone's throat just because it was feasible at that time and marketing demanded it. By that, they mostly killed off further development and refinement of comfy 2D games based on nice sprites and pixel art. Also Sony in particular adopted a sort of "fast food" approach to video games which stuck ever since, manifesting in most games being quite shallow and short (with the "muh 3D" and "muh CD" wow-factor supposedly making up for it, but being something which obviously hasn't aged gracefully at all).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.