[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: non-/vr/ remakes of /vr/ games that are superior to the original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: destinydc.jpg (424KB, 594x841px) Image search: [Google]
destinydc.jpg
424KB, 594x841px
ITT: non-/vr/ remakes of /vr/ games that are superior to the original
>>
>>3622702

translation when?
>>
>>3622703

>PS2 game

Unless a group of super geniuses get together, never. Translating the text is easy enough but hacking tools for that whole gen are practically non-existent.
>>
>>3622702
Minstrel Song
>>
>>3622752
No need to spoiler the truth.
DS SaGa 2 and 3 too.
>>
File: images.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
Sonic CD (2011) version
>>
>>3622703
in progress but slow and was restarted like three times because of shit like >>3622724
>>
Resident Evil Remake
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy IV PSP
Metroid Zero Mission
Pretty much any Ys game that's been remade.
>>
>>3622901
What's different besides the resolution?
>>
Any of the N64 Rare games that were ported to 360/Xbone. They aren't really full blown remakes though, just really good remasters.
>>
>>3622752
Came here to post this.
>>
>>3622702
it made it more like tales games of that era.

superior? there must be some tales kool-aid you all drink.
>>
>>3623017

The port of Kazooie is also one of the few games that works flawlessly in Xenia if you want to play it on PC without dealing with Project64's bullshit. Tooie's got some slowdown but it shouldn't be far behind.
>>
>>3622937
Disagreed on Zero Mission, that game is too easy on the player. I prefer the original for everything but graphics.
>>
>>3623142
>>3623149
>it made it more like tales games of that era.
exactly
superior
>>
>>3622945
leaderboards
achievements
filters
spindash options
60 fps
tons of bugfixes
time attack mode
unlock tails as playable character
>both us and jp soundtracks
better ufo scaling on special stages

they also planned on adding a new stage to the game "Desert Dazzle" but it was unfinished and did not appear in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbWeIikEi0c
>>
The 3ds ports of Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask were great for people learning Japanese because of the brilliant way every Zelda game since Phanton Horglass handles furigana.
Dragon Quest VII 3ds also has a nice addition of furigana. As a whole if a retro game has a rerelease its easier to read in Japanese because of how awkward kanji are to read in low resolution
>>
Most dragon quest remakes tend to be better than the original.
>>
>>3622702

not retro

Ports = allowed
remakes = >>>/v/
>>
>>3623908
>Ports = allowed
>remakes = >>>/v/

I guess people can't talk about Metal Max: Return since it's a remake...
>>
>>3623951

remakes in relation to the game they spawned from are fine
>>
Loved the original Tales of Destiny on PSX, but everything I've seen of the remake makes it look shitty.
>>
>>3623149
>it made it more like tales games of that era.
TOD PS2 is nothing like any Tales game that came before it.
In Layman's terms it's the SOTN or RE4 of the series.
Also, the sub-systems are some of the most intuitive in the series while every other designed by Tatsurou Udo is a convoluted mess in regards to sub-systems. Complexity for complexity sake, so to speak.
>>3624246
Yes but what you can do, it was just the second game in a highly ambitious series before they got the formula right.
I appreciate it for what it's. The music and art direction are super solid and the game oozes charm in general.
>>
File: Rutee swimsuit.png (113KB, 560x744px) Image search: [Google]
Rutee swimsuit.png
113KB, 560x744px
Rutee a cutie
>>
>>3624232
>>3623908
Try harder. Your made up rules matter to no one.
>>
>>3622724
Are you a fucking retard?
There are PS2 translations, and there have been for years.
If anything PS2 game translations are easier than something like a SNES or NES rom translation (things like memory for script size, etc).
But sure, it's impossible. There's no Namco X Capcom translation. There are no Dragon Quest translations. There was never an extensive Pro Evolution modding community changing everything from text to audio to graphics
>>
>>3622724
I just got the Shadow Tower Abyss translation patch and that's pretty good/functional
>>
@3624952
all rules are made up so none of them matter #anarchy #hardcore #wow #edgy
>>
>>3624958
he didn't say it's impossible he was saying it's difficult you fucking buttmunch
>>
>>3624958
No, no, no.
They aren't "easier" or "harder", just different.
NES and pre-PS1 consoles had the difficulty of space and swapping ROM banks. You also had to count cycles or even reprogram the interface sometimes (like when a japanese RPG wrote text top-to-bottom, instead of left to right).

PS1/PS2 (and most CD/DVD-based consoles) have a few things that are easier, like everything is separated by files or containers (instead of everything jumbled together like ROMs), libraries that are usually easy to reprogram, but the difficulties can make your head spin faster than you can say "MIPS-based processor". Also, remember that there's no "impossible", but "not enough people working on it". NES/SNES stuff has more translations because more people work on it than on PS2 stuff. Hell, people have disassembled all Pokémon games to hell and back because the community behind it is huge. All that while we languish waiting for a Goemon translation.

I almost forgot, but those are the difficulties I've met with when hacking PS2 stuff:
- custom libraries
- some custom engine to do inane stuff like displaying text on the screen. Imagine a Visual Novel, and how you have to document what those hundreds of switches do, because it's not documented anywhere (and why would they document it, anyway)
- compressed stuff that is completely bonkers to you (why compress text when a DVD has 4.5 GB?), but it made sense in context (the PS2 video memory wasn't infinite, and you also had to be mindful of disc access times).
>>
File: FantasyZoneIIDX_title.png (11KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
FantasyZoneIIDX_title.png
11KB, 320x224px
I'm not sure if this can fall under remake
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.