[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know games don't really age, but I used to play the shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 24

File: PSO.jpg (192KB, 780x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PSO.jpg
192KB, 780x1000px
I know games don't really age, but I used to play the shit out of PSO back in the dreamcast days, and always considered it in my top 3 grindan games.

But after replaying it on ephinea, I realized how obnoxious the whole having to clear rooms format is and how boring it makes the game, it seems to only truly be fun when someone carries you to higher levels and gets you better gear so you can just fuck around doing w/e you want.

But playing it the long way? Without being carried, holy shit its bad, the grind is intense and most classes are garbage until they get to at least hard mode. You always feel so weak even on normal when everything is piss easy
>>
>>3621371
>But playing it the long way? Without being carried, holy shit its bad, the grind is intense and most classes are garbage until they get to at least hard mode. You always feel so weak even on normal when everything is piss easy

Yeah, it's really not a lot of fun. I've tried to complete it offline on two different occasions, probably accruing 90 hours over both a Gamecube save file and a Dreamcast save file, and I can just never bring myself to finish it. The grind is simply too boring, and particularly to fight Dark Falz the grinding I'd need to do for it just means I always give up.

Despite not really liking it on the Gamecube, I bought it for Dreamcast because, hey, it was $5 for a sealed copy, although this was a few years back now. It's good value for money I suppose, but with a million other better games, both on Dreamcast and MMOs in general, it's not really worth it unless you have a bunch of people to play it with. That rings true for most MMOs, but it's particularly true in PSO's case.
>>
>>3621382
>>3621371

I think you two just don't have the same addictive personality that people like me do.

I still fire up PSO from time to time. Not even to really hunt items anymore. I mostly play an ironman combined with living off the land style.

Also, OP is admittedly shit at the game. Play c-mode and you learn quickly. Or don't. And continue to think the game sucks and is hard.
>>
>>3621559
I don't think the game sucks, and I wouldn't say I'm shit at the game though you can make that inference if you want, but I am pretty seasoned at it, I've played every class to high level and have a high level of experience, I'm just kinda talking about how boring it can be at times, I used to be able to autist grind on this game back in the day, but upon returning to for the first time since the gamecube days, do kinda find that I don't like some of its features the same way I did way back when.

That said I'm still playing it and still enjoy it for the most part, but when you are doing a 2-3 hour session the format kinda grinds on you after awhile as opposed to that "just one more hour" sorta feel it used to give me.
>>
>>3621371
I don't know why I just really like this game, just something about it is fun, probably though because I always played with others. I get that it is repetitive after awhile but it kinda brings an arcade style to it. Pretty much now though we are stuck with Monster Hunter, and that one Vita game, I like retro but man if they would just release an official English port of PSO 2 already.
>>
File: 1342916880832.jpg (325KB, 1000x963px) Image search: [Google]
1342916880832.jpg
325KB, 1000x963px
>>3621371
>it seems to only truly be fun when someone carries you to higher levels and gets you better gear so you can just fuck around doing w/e you want.
Not to tell you your way is bad/wrong, but holy shit why.

Now I'll admit, I am very far in the other direction; I go as far as I can in all MMO's while playing alone, and no game has ever held my attention on this longer than PSO. Despite playing it for years, I only just recently played through all the single player missions in episode 1/completed episode 1 on DC, got to like level 38-40 before I could take falz. The format's a bit boring, but the levels go by quick.
>>
>>3621625
sega will never make an english version of PSO2 despite saying they would, because they despise money and are clinically retarded, really you can't explain anything sega does, its the number 1 thing they are known for.

even nintendo isn't nearly as retarded as this and they are super fucking retarded nowadays
>>
>>3621625
>and that one Vita game
You mean Nova AKA "Dude, RA Crossbursts, LMAO" the game?

I'm not sure how much you'd like that. I've poured almost 500 hors into it but it's really a PSO2 light with extreme powercreep and a tenth of the contents, it's a very flawed game and not something for everyone.
>>
I was never into MMOs but played PSO on my Dreamcast from time to time.
Just for the memories and the soundtrack I play from time to time on Ephinea but always turned off when some long time players join in they either act like elitist or leave a game without a word after a while
>>
>>3622293
Yeah, there is definitely a preordained etiquette you're expected to follow online among old hats. I don't consider it a bad thing though. It got me to step up my game a bit, for sure.

There will always be casual players though. I try not to treat them poorly, but I am certainly guilty of both rage-quitting and LOL-quitting.

PSO has always been a small community full of drama, even way back when. It's the main reason I learned to set up my own private server and still play mostly solo.
>>
First of all, this game is not for everyone, since it can be pretty tedious because grinding and getting rare equip.
Offline was always boring, specially because you are stuck into normal difficulty until you beat the game. Those missions when you had a partner were always better and just solo. Going back from online mode to offline with better equip would make things better and much faster when beating loads of monsters

Online was the shit though and still pretty fun with friends as trading items, mags, equip with them. The problem is getting back and starting all over again and reach certain levels to get into harder difficulties and true endings for better equipments and shit. I lost number of times I faced that damn dragon just to get into lv20 since 2001.

I have to say after all these years I realized getting stucked with a class is annoying. And one save file per memory card? Mother of god.
And that Id stuff related to drops, how would anyone would figure that out back then with no guides?
>>
File: 1336623876045.jpg (76KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1336623876045.jpg
76KB, 1200x900px
>>3622036
>sega will never make an english version of PSO2 despite saying they would
I think that's for the best at this point.

I wanted it bad when it was first announced, upgraded my computer just so I could play it. But it never came, and I tracked the developments over the years anyway (neglecting actually playing it, because it seemed like a hassle). And the more it changed I tried to piece together why it started looking less and less appealing to me.

My initial conclusion was that maybe all I really wanted was an updated version of PSO, and I was letting my nostalgia get to me, and to some extent I'm sure that's true. But the reason I think I settled on was a trend not with PSO2 but with all the Phantasy Star games since; the games like Universe and Zero felt like they where trying to be a different genre of storytelling. Now that I've been informed that 2 is crossing over with the anime (in which the game is a game) I think that might have put a nail in the coffin of my interest.
>>
I think PSO's combat is addicting. People complain about "grinding" but to me it's like playing an arcade style game. You wouldn't call Pac-Man grinding for pellets.

That said, I think the first 20 or 30 levels are pretty boring on new characters. I enjoyed them the first time but now I just want to skip right to V.Hard and Ultimate
>>
File: 1474923417100.jpg (155KB, 782x577px) Image search: [Google]
1474923417100.jpg
155KB, 782x577px
>>3623384
in PSO, the items are the showcase really, the game itself is comparable to something like diablo at a base level, but ultimately in diablo 2 for example, the final goal is to be high enough level for your build to work, and the items are basically just stat sticks for that goal.

In PSO, level is simply ancillary to the items that really make PSO what it is, the unique weapons really make this game, even if they aren't all THAT different from the basic saber or gun, the way they attack and how they change your approach to enemies is part of the fun, the levels and mags are just your stat sticks to be able to equip those items.

This isn't so much the case with forces, and I like forces since the techs in the game can be fun too, but ultimately when I replay PSO its always a hunter or ranger I play first because the toys are so much fun.

So for that reason I see the game harder to get into than a more traditional loot game like diablo, where its really just the grind at the end of the day, in PSO you don't get the fun shit til hard or very hard at the least, and that makes playing the first 30-40 levels really boring, since you just deal with generic weapons that aren't that interesting.

When you get to that point PSO is really great, one of the best lootan games, but yeah those initial moments of the game require some tenacity to get through, even for vets of the game.
>>
>>3623461
It's funny because I've probably had to start the game over a dozen times due to new private servers or friends picking it up. I'm always dying though the first 30 levels and hoping they aren't bored as I am. Though I realize they may be having the same sense of discovery I did my first time
>>
>>3623492
just get all your bros to play on ephinea, its basically the only private server worth a shit if you want an authentic experience, I hope they make double XP standard though, the base XP rate was always too low for how shit the early game grind is
>>
File: 1451224029322.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1451224029322.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>3621371
It was meant to be played together, u'know with the other 6 BILLION people on the planet

If you don't have 4 player synergy or your 3 other bros playing next to you in a hot room full of smoke playing for 16 hours like chinese gold farmers all on your own rigs and having red box rage becasue of the slow client sync, you're doing it wrong
the initial grind is shit, its by design, but I guess they thought that is the incentive to level up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk

in contrast pso2 took away the door requirement and look what happened, guruguru running round the map in circles, then no one even plays any of the area maps becasue there is no point.
it just became an EQ simulator
same with partner characters, slipery slope, no one even talks to eachother they even had a event campaign recently where you get items by talking and clearing a quest with other real people....

I think another part of it is that you had different experience and expectations when you played it during the golden Dreamcast era at that age, it was glorious back then, be glad you got to enjoy it during that time, nothing will ever be that great again ;w;
>>
>>3625425
>I think another part of it is that you had different experience and expectations when you played it during the golden Dreamcast era at that age, it was glorious back then, be glad you got to enjoy it during that time, nothing will ever be that great again ;w;

But there was a point in the Dreamcast ending days that people would be in the lobbies talking forever instead of just playing the damn game.
The only time I wasted time in the lobbies doing nonsense was early just playing around with the poses to give it ago, or on those lobbies where you could play sports.
>>
>>3625425
>grass assassins in the forest
triggered
>>
>>3622293
>>3621371
>>3623514
schthack has a better and more populated community
>>
>>3626216
too bad it doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>3626216
>22 current players
>ephinea has 40-60 players
yeah more populated
>>
>>3626236
yeah it does
>>3626239
during the day it has around 300-500 people on it. have to get on during a certain time
>>
>>3626093
I mean, yeah, I don't log on with the intent to have a fucking three hour text conversation at 2am, but somehow I still get roped into long-ass, inane discussions.

And I don't even mind it, truth be told. I know it drives some dudes fucking nuts though.
>>
>>3621371

>games don't really age

But they absolutely do. As innovation and technical achievement advances, the bar is raised, and only "timeless" games can avoid feeling dated. That's just the way of things.
>>
File: pso1238199750.jpg (382KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pso1238199750.jpg
382KB, 1024x768px
>>3626249
Lmfasoxddddddddd 500

yeah sure faggot shill, shitserv didnt even have that many active players at its PEAK 10 YEARS ago let alone after the numerous scandles that happened

bunch of BR faggot GM's, lee and prick of a fuck chrono who not only was shady as fuck, totally negligent and left the main ship down for years
was a terrible terrible owner

proof soon came out when his account got hacked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCCzJ4HLq8

he wouldnt even add quests to the game or restart the shipgate, but took plenty in cash for items yet all GM's denied it, then there was the bait and ban where GM's sold items on epvp and then banned the same used ingame after taking their money. cunts.

https://kireekpso.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/schthack-going-down/

https://kireekpso.wordpress.com/2015/07/31/and-its-gone/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO/comments/3siavf/rip_schtserv/

http://files.diadu.net/Drama/Scht_Archive/

I wouldnt recommend shitserv to anyone, id rather get malware from broomop that play on that piece of shit community.

Ephinea saved us all with the best features total transparency and soda is smart as fuck programmer and totally involved

pic related, niqqa GreatWallCNC was the best place to get and shift your dodgey wearz on shithack back in the day.

it will never be what it was, thanks to plebs like you.

if anyone wants to sign up to the current most active and best community PSOBB server click here

https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/
>>
>>3627802
t. autism
>>
>>3627802
Shill me more on robinia because I'm genuinely interested after reading the FAQ.
>>
>>3627846
Ephinia****

I got wrecked by autocorrect gg
>>
>>3627850
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/ephinea-information-thread.964/

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/official-changelog-topic-updated-1-17-2016.521/
>>
>>3625425
I miss global servers that stuck English/Japanese other players together. It's always separated now. It's like they lost touch of why playing online was so cool to begin with.
>>
>>3621371
>I know games don't really age
Yes they do. If they didn't we'd all be playing atari 2600 games and thinking they had amazing mechanics and gameplay.
>>
So I set my own private server for PSOGC, and I managed to eventually find quite a few quests to round out the experience. But I am missing a handful or official SEGA quests, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to point me in the right direction.

Looking for: Quest71 = E access, Quest80 = -Famitsu Max Attack-, Quest119 = Fragments of a Memory, and Quest120 = Lost Hell Pallasch first and foremost. I would ask Ives for FoaM, but I really, seriously doubt he would share it. Knowing him, he would just tell me to play RD on Altimira even though I can't finish it without getting disconnected.

I have lots of homebrew quests, too. But I don't really collect those, per se. And the only one I'm missing that I can think of off-hand is Girth's Tower and bedz quests and Monster Bash 4. But if you got those, hey, let me know.
>>
>>3628175
>So I set my own private server for PSOGC

Do you have some more information on this? Just a link will do.

I have/had a 130+ FOnewearl on Schthack and don't want to grind yet again (especially for technique items). I just want to have my old level 200 FOnewearl from the DC v2 days with all maxed techs to dick around with for a while.
>>
man hunters seem like shit in blue burst, you play a hunter and its like use a fucking mechgun to rape everything, so whats the fucking point?

meanwhile you could just play a RAmar who effortlessly maxes his stats, has the most flexibility with slots, has almost HUcast tier hp for not getting one shot, like why play hunters if rangers are how you play them anyway
>>
File: MONSTER_HUNTER_PS2_2.jpg (96KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MONSTER_HUNTER_PS2_2.jpg
96KB, 640x480px
>>3621371
Games don't age, but you do. And your tastes and expectations will change as well. I played the heck out of PSO when it was new and had a lot of fun at the time. But these days you would literally have to pay me money to play it. PSO was a neat idea and cool at the time, but ultimately it was just far too much of the same thing over and over and over.

And I think generally the people who played it moved on in one of two directions. Those who liked the lore, character building and social aspects went on to WoW and other MMOs. Those that liked the action and big boss battles moved onto Monster Hunter, which was Capcom's reaction to the PSO craze. At least that was my experience from the people I knew who used to be into PSO.
>>
>>3621371
>games dont age maymay

The only trending maymay that triggers me right now 2bqhwy
>>
File: pso_nnn.jpg (2MB, 4923x3406px) Image search: [Google]
pso_nnn.jpg
2MB, 4923x3406px
>>3629130
While I understand that Monster Hunter was literally based on PSO, I just could never could get into Monster Hunter personally. I haven't really analyzed it, but for some reason I could grind Boomas in PSO forever but I find MH tedious. I never got much into MMOs or other online action games either.

I think what made PSO work was just that it's core gameplay loop, which was exterminating monsters and collecting loot from a drop table, was just so perfectly executed and entertaining. Nothing, not even the PSO sequels, have managed to capture me the same way.
>>
>>3629410
MH is really slow-paced. If you find it too slow, give God Eater a try.
>>
>>3629410
This guy has a point >>3629414

Especially the first game was more methodically paced than PSO which has more button mashy combat. Monster Hunter seems slow because everything is more deliberate. You're not attacking as quickly as you can, you're positioning and waiting for an opening to attack similar to Super Punch Out.

I remember when I first started playing it I chose the greatsword and could barely hit small monsters at all.

>I think what made PSO work was just that it's core gameplay loop, which was exterminating monsters and collecting loot from a drop table, was just so perfectly executed and entertaining.

This is also MH's core progression loop, you fight a monster and then chop it up to make new weapons and armor to better fight more monsters and so on and so forth.
>>
>>3629130
>Be vegetarian
>Try playing MonHun
>Feel guilty for killing the peaceful herbivores in the first mission
>Uninstall
>>
>>3629451
Plants have feelings too, anon.
>>
>>3629451
>Be Miyazakian spiritualist
>Try playing Harvest Moon
>Feel guilty for harvesting and selling the peaceful cabbage in the first twenty minutes of the game
>Pull out cartridge

Have a heart, eat a rock.
>>
File: kushana.jpg (21KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
kushana.jpg
21KB, 300x225px
>>3629523
>Be Miyazakian spiritualist

I order you to cremate them! Burn them to a cinder!
>>
>>3629410
>>3629440
>I remember when I first started playing it I chose the greatsword and could barely hit small monsters at all.
I feel this is probably the biggest reason people get a bad start in MH and often end up quitting because of it. The Great Sword seems like an obvious choice for a beginner cool weapon that you can just pick up and cut things with. But turns out it's one of the least newb friendly weapons in the entire game. Not only is it hard to hit small monsters because it's so slow but you'll have a hard time with bosses too because you won't understand how to play GS properly.
>>
>>3628434
Google psoserver and khyller to get started. Or just get it from Captain N if you have a link to his site. You should if you used to play on schthack, but he seems to have moved on to l33tserv now.

If you want someone to walk you through the process, there are some friendly folks who post on the gamefaqs pso non-plus board that are usually helpful, too.
>>
>>3621625
>I don't know why I just really like this game, just something about it is fun

Probably the fact that in 2001 it was groundbreaking, progressive and a brand new experience, probably the fact it contains hundreds of references to prior Phantasy Star games and is inundated with Sonic Team and SEGA style and personality, probably the fact that it was THE game to own a Dreamcast for back in the day and allowed you character personalization that not even FFXI and WoW surpassed for some retarded reason, probably the fact that despite it being a repetitive grind of the same handful of areas they managed to marry Phantasy Star with arcade gameplay and dense character progression systems and also the rares in it are cool as shit.

To the people saying they find this boring now, well no shit, it's about 15 years and half a dozen iterations of the game later and some of you have admitted to playing it offline. There are few games in this world you can return to indefinitely and not have exhausted all of your patience and innocent sense of awe with. It's old. We're old. It's never going to be 2001 again where we all log into the ST servers and search our guild cards to talk to our best bros on the game to go hunting with them.
>>
>>3629968
>progressive

fuck off
>>
I think that's pretty much the norm for MMO games.

I never got into them because of that, always preferred focused single player games, or couch co-op/vs multiplayer.
>>
File: pso1197977305.jpg (59KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
pso1197977305.jpg
59KB, 320x256px
>>3629968
>hundreds of references to prior Phantasy Star games and is inundated with Sonic Team and SEGA style and personality
it was the damn peak of the peak, ST created miracles back then

>and also the rares in it are cool as shit.
So glad they went with sci-fi fantasy rather than the same shit everyone else did ye olde bronze age wank shit
damn right them rares where cool as shit

>It's old. We're old. It's never going to be 2001 again where we all log into the ST servers and search our guild cards to talk to our best bros on the game to go hunting with them.
I just cried a little bit, fuck you I'm gonna hold on to these precious hopes and memories and pray forever!

all they need to do is emulate PSO in pso2 and finally make that game good heh

>>3629007
Charge mechs 50 hit do rape everything general, but if you're playing HU...
TJS, dark flow, double cannon?!
just cool as shit wearz thats HU only

sure, Ramar/l is the best, man lv15/20 techs spread needle, froozer, b-rifle

but come on man, TJS! thats cool as shit with the PB special, just have fun and let the FO/RA carry you lolz
>>
>>3629451
I'm not even vegetarian but i felt guilty too about killing the non hostile creatures. I guess i'm an hypocrite but it was really awful to see the poor things squirming in the ground. If i could just one shot them from a distance it would be better.
>>
>>3630538
I feel like they nerfed the shit out of Hunters in blue burst, they were strong as fuck in the dreamcast version, I think they could use spread needle AND learn megid and grants

I guess it makes sense, If hunters could use spread needle literally what is the point of rangers, just clear trash with needle and then destroy everything big and scary with your hunter exclusive toys, but still, they seem to struggle in blue burst
>>
>>3630623
They were nerfed in GC version too.
>>
>>3623461

I find that Forces are easier to play since you're not strung by having to hunt rare items to be effective. Disks can be a pain if you're solo, but people will ususally shit the things out for you online.

I run a support FOnewearl in Ephiesia and I was able to be effective in Ult games around level 98 or so. Hunters and Rangers at that level would barely be able to consistently hit enemies.

The grind with an untwinked character is pretty bad. The game gives you weapons slowly and they're often too weak to deal with enemies, even in solo. Even a basic Pallasch can make Hard much more managable than the junk the game gives to you if you play through Hard normally, online or not.
>>
>>3630623

Hunters are kinda shit except for HUcast.

HUmars are a jack of all trade that suck at it compared to RAmars and RAmarls.

HUnewearls are ok if you don't have a Force chucking high-level S/D/J/Z while freezing fools with Rabarta, but are just waifu bait otherwise.

HUcaseals are HUcasts that trade important ATP for a little bit more ATA and EVP (the latter is just a giant dump stat, so who cares).

HUcasts have so much ATP and freeze traps that you can just murder everything with hit Charge Vulcans for single targets and a good sword of your choice with groups. Combine them with a Force and you can wreck anything without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>3630629
the problem is that you don't really get anything decent on hard for the most part, there are a few things here and there if you get lucky, but if you are solo you probably won't be able to use them til you are level 40+ or so and your mag is on its 4th evolution.

What I've always loved about PSO is how some people just give newbies dank ass shit that is useless to them and maybe an old mag and it just shits all over the game for the lowbie, and making the early game fun at the same time instead of a chore

doing it the hard way is obnoxious, even more so for hunter since the real toys for them don't start showing up til very hard for sure, and getting them in very hard can be a chore as well because by then you just straight get wrecked without decent gear, hunters kind of just get shit on.

Meanwhile you can get some pretty decent guns potentially in hard for RAs and FOs don't really have to worry about that like you say, on top of the fact that they aren't melee, it kind of feels like they turned hunter from super useful into yet another statistic for melee classes in loot grind games, where if your gear isn't x amount of levels above the shit you are fighting you are entirely fucked
>>
>>3630634
yeah, HUcast attack power is absolutely insane for w/e reason, even compared to the other hunters, what is its cap? Like 1600+ or some shit? The other hunters only go up to like 1300 or some shit, its crazy

HUcast has always been my favorite too, but they are pretty one dimensional early on and before they get the good shit they can chug insane amounts of items and potentially get fucked in boss fights, especially bosses with hitscan shit like dark falz phase 3.

this is all moot if you aren't solo though, they are easily one of the best if not the best class in the game with group support
>>
>>3630636

The HUcast's ATP means you get access to the better stuff sooner, even without a maxed mag from another character or a stockpile of Power Materials to chug. While the other hunter classes are struggling to equip half-decent weapons in Hard and Very Hard, you're going to town with Gladiuses and other high-end stuff in the middle of Hard.

I still say the best party in the game is three HUcasts (substitute one or two with RAcasts) and a Force to buff them and debuff enemies with Resta here and there. The game is easy enough that party composition doesn't really matter, but three HUcasts + one force will completely destroy the game.
>>
>>3630646
I like to play solo, for the most part anyway, not all the time.

That said, HUcasts one downside with my playstyle is that they have below average accuracy and with no techs to fall back on, they have to rely on whiffing 3000 gun attacks to bring down annoying enemies, most notably in the mines.

It's a minor gripe though, HUcast is fun as fuck to play and I kind of want to start another one, but all I ever play in PSO are hunters kek, need to mix it up a little and haven't played a RA since fuckin ver.1

Is ephinea still the best server to jump on?
>>
>>3630654

It is. Ultima exists as a BR/taco containment server to keep them out of Ephinea and Schtack is shit.

There's usually a few people willing to help newbies and grind you to Ultimate (look for MewPlushie; he/she spends almost all of his/her time helping newbies). The player base is pretty laid-back, though you'll run into a few "REEEE PLAY ACCORDING TO META REEEEE" elitist types in Ultimate. Working with the elitists is easy as long as you don't throw a hissy fit when they get grumpy about the team not being 100% optimized or whatever.
>>
>>3630662
What's the meta? HUcasts and FOs only?
>>
>>3630671

The meta is more about how you play (like stunlocking Vol Opt 1 to death in Ultimate with the Spread Needle or Gizonde) and your gear than team composition. The only time I've seen composition get questioned is when there's two forces on a team, but it was just a single comment, not a bitch-fest where they tried to make one force leave.
>>
>>3630672
fug I haven't played this game with other people in so long and now I'ma get ragged on because I don't know how to play it right, whatever happened to just like shoot shit til it has 0 hp left
>>
>>3630675

You'll be fine a vast majority of times. I was in the same boat a few months ago, and I learned by picking up what others were doing and saying.

"Hit the monster of your choice until it dies" is still how the game is going to play 99% of the time anyway, so don't worry.
>>
>>3630679
I need to try and get my friends to play on ephinea, they used to be heavy into PSO way back in the day but now they just play useless shit like diablo 3 all day
>>
>>3629934
Yup pretty much. Though it's interesting because after that I switched to Sword and Sheild for a while and it served me well until I hit Rathalos and just couldn't beat him with it so I swapped back to GS and learned how to actually use it and that's when I really got the GS bug.

Eventually I mastered all the melee weapons in the game because I played it so long but Greatsword is still my go to favorite weapon.
>>
I played this game off-line in 2007 or so. Despite the solitude i really liked it, there was something about the music, the scenarios or the weapon variety that make it special. At the same time i couldn't stand WoW for more than a week.
>>
>>3629968
This post made me cry. I want to go back in time and hunt rares and shit. I don't want to die.
>>
>>3631151
Don't look back longingly at the past, look forward hopefully at the future.
>>
File: pso1299961005.jpg (294KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pso1299961005.jpg
294KB, 1280x1024px
>>3631027
you never got to enjoy hundreds of hours of idle lobby music chatting inane shit at 3am to some randomer using word select ;w;
pls enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFV8HtglkTA

>>3631151
me too brother, but feel at ease and remember that what you are doing now will be nostalgic memories later on, make them memorable, take many screenshots and die happy knowing you got to live and experience these great moments throughout your life that this generation will never have the chance to
>>
>>3631151
>>3631354
Did you two miss the whole rest of the thread? There are still servers, and you can even make your own. Get online, you fools!

>Do you enjoy
>birdwatching
>anon?
>>
what are the best section IDs for blue burst? Is it still skyly for hunters purplenum for rangers and pinkal for forces?

I know that redria and yellowboze were great general purpose IDs but do they get anything to make them worth the selection with episode 4s content?
>>
so whats the best private server to join then? people in here seem to be torn on which one is better i just want the one most people play on
>>
>>3632101

Skyly, Purplenum, and Pinkal are still the best for Hunters, Rangers, and Forces, respectivly.

Both Redria and Yellowboze gets some good stuff from Ep4, like the V502 unit everyone on Ephinea has a boner for.

>>3632297

Ephinea is overall the best. Ultima has a few more players than Ephinea usually does, but Ultima turns Ultimate difficulty into a P2W scheme where you have to get weapons obtained from donating in order to stand a chance in Ultimate, and there's a lot of BRs and tacos shitting things up. Ephinea has a vanilla Ultimate and no hues and jajajas acting like retards.
>>
File: pso1275632252.jpg (361KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pso1275632252.jpg
361KB, 1024x768px
>>3631606
sorry but it's just not the same without the 6 billion players

>rappies
>dont
>die?

>>3632101
Skyly all day, PW, HP and probably the best Lame rate from ep4 that can be really accessible trade bait becasue evryone loves some excalibur action on de rolleee woof woof
https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/drop-charts/ultimate/

you can use the /sectionID change function ONCE on ephenia below lv20
type /help for all player commands in game

>>3632297
ultima if you're huehue BR, Ephinea if youre not
>>
File: 1468243511417.jpg (23KB, 232x197px) Image search: [Google]
1468243511417.jpg
23KB, 232x197px
>tfw you like Episode 2 and want to play it, but the shitty drop charts and Megid scare people away from it.

I just want to kill shit in Central Control Area and Towers. :(
>>
File: pso1238272715.jpg (285KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pso1238272715.jpg
285KB, 1024x768px
>>3632361
love the atmosphere in CCA and tower is a great map, well... as a ranger that is lol

Bringers rifle, Froozer, Heavens striker a must

Cmode illgils were a cunt
>>
>>3621371
pso4life
>>
>>3632101
>Pinkal
>anything

Fuck no. I haven't made a Pinkal in over ten years, and I don't miss it one iota.
>>
>>3630679
>"Hit the monster of your choice until it dies" is still how the game is going to play 99% of the time anyway, so don't worry.

Wait...what about "hit them once, just let some higher leveled character to finished them off and get the exp"? Because that's what I did with my friends back then. Kill them all was at some later point to finish some episode or a timelimit quest. Or did the exp changed in those servers after all these years?
>>
>>3633546

You can still do that for level grinding. There's even a boss rush quest, Towards the Future, people use to level grind with that trick. Just whack the boss once with a weapon of your choice and you get max XP from him when he dies.

Just don't be dead when he dies because you'll miss out on all the XP if that happens.
>>
>>3633601
>Just don't be dead when he dies because you'll miss out on all the XP if that happens.
Fucking hell, that brought me memories. Memories when someone instead of moving afar from the dragon they would stay near, someone would say "fuck it, kill it" and then the dragon falls down over that dude and that dude is ko'd. No xp for him.
>>
>>3633687

>Level grinding
>Fighting Dark Falz
>He fires his lasers in the air.
>They kill me.
>Someone kills DF right after I die.
>Miss that precious XP.
>>
File: 1470725469069.jpg (143KB, 744x969px) Image search: [Google]
1470725469069.jpg
143KB, 744x969px
>want to start a new character on ephinea
>doesn't look like they are going to hit the double xp for this week
I can't do it bros, I'm too casual to start a new character with the shitty base xp rates and go through that first 40 levels the hard way, it goes from about 15 hours to get to very hard solo to about half a year
>>
>>3633881
Why is it always a rush to grind? Why can't you enjoy the game at a low level?
>>
>>3633687
>Take down dragon, he collapses
>Forces keep spamming techniques
Stop wasting your TP faggot, Dragon's second healthbar doesn't come into place until he roars after getting up.

Same with De Rol Le, AOE doesn't do extra damage to him. I checked this personally. Twice. If all the numbers popping up are the same it's not hurting it as much as you think.
>>
>>3633893
I've played PSO too much to enjoy the low level, and I don't like twinking, so i guess its a self fulfilling prophecy that I'm going to hate the low level grind since its slow and shitty without twinked gear

First few times I played this game I loved the game for the game but now its just painful to play early on just because its slow, I guess if I was getting carried it wouldn't matter, but then I don't feel like I earned it. Even though double xp isn't quite as rewarding as levelling with default rates, I'm just too casual for that shit now, but its also why I don't want to play on a server like ultima cause I think 5x rates is way too high.

Ephinea kinda strikes a middle ground for me, cause its still a vanilla experience with double xp only being a reward for hitting certain kill counts across the server, but it solo it does blow to get through that first stretch with the default rates.
>>
>>3633903
>painful to play early on just because its slow,
My experience with the game is very limited, but I don't see how the early game is any slower than latge game. Monsters have higher health, so they go down slowly, and it's not like good weapons will just fall into your lap to fix that. Getting to VBH as soon as possible ensures that the pace of VH is going to be that much slower, surely?

Please explain this so a newfag like me can understand it.
>>
>>3633917
You are right, very hard can be slower xp wise, but by then you have access to the game changing toys, or at least start getting some of the game changing toys, so it makes the combat a little more fun, than say hitting enemies with a basic saber or partizan.

The xp grind only gets worse, but ultimately PSO is about the toys you get to play with, so I don't mind the pace slowing down a bit if i get to play with fun shit while grinding away.

Early on the game is just anti-fun because besides the weapons being basic, they also just don't do much, they don't handle crowds well, they don't kill particularly fast, and just have boring move sets, and no special properties really worth talking about, and are certainly not worth upgrading.

A single solid drop even early in very hard, or even hard for some weapons, can change how you approach the game, and make mowing down enemies much less obnoxious, it goes from feeling like a slow crawl through rooms to being like a dynasty warriors game where you just mercilessly destroy everything.

That's where twinking helps with the early game, if you have a good mag to hand down you can just start using that shit right away, but in most cases you are still too weak to take any stray hits cause of your HP, so it can still be hard to try and go to places above your level, but it least its an option.
>>
>>3633917
Monsters prior to Ultimate difficulty move at a snail's pace
>>
>>3621559
>>3621382
>>3621371

once you get some good weapons, it goes faster, especially with that movement speed spell (haste?)

it felt like diablo 2.

I actually had a paid online subscription and the currency conversion wasnt even that bad, like 1200 yen for 3 months, on my dreamcast, dial-up, in like 2000 or 2001 i think)

i got the PSO v1 and v2 on GC later but didnt bother grinding it all out, and didnt play online too much

i got some hacked items on the DC one and duplicated it with spare memory cards and traded stuff with my one (ONE, 1, uno) friend who also had a DC, and it helped having like a level 1 char with a level 99 MAG and such, but the game was still slow and boring until you got to hard / very hard and even then, its just more samey grinding

which i kind of like.

i even played and beat evolution 2 far off promise on DC, and i feel like that game really needed an x4 option lijke bravely default or an emulator.
>>
>>3633701
DF was a gamble if you were underlevel.
I always laughed a lot when guys that never reached DF before just start running into that beautiful valley and suddenly fucking pod-saws killing them off

>>3633893
Because the game is 16 years and old players already started the game dozens of times. Others started that game more times since you can't change classes through the game.
Problem with the slow start is that older players know how the best drops and quests are late in game and how you need to be at certain level to get into a new difficulty level. Starting all over can be a chore

>>3633901
There is also the possibility of lagging. At least 8 years ago there were servers that at night could be a nightmare to work out. EP2 and 4 were the worse.
>>
I propose we start having a PSO general on /vr/ so we can all get together and play. would be cool
>>
>>3634015
>so we can all get together and pla
Someone's an optimist.
>>
File: pso1379724777.jpg (374KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pso1379724777.jpg
374KB, 1280x1024px
>>3633881
>>3633903

I know the feels bro,

thats why they created SANDBOX MODE

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/is-pso-old-to-you-sandbox-mode-added.1154/

bypass all that shit grind low level and just make the starting point you want....

the only catch is you can only play with other sandboxers, which is fair, I dont know if soda implemented the request I made to see how many players are on-line for each play group

alot of people have a sandbox alt or there is definitely people that play that mode
I think kills still count towards double XP rates
and when it hits 2x xp you can switch to your legit alt

>>3633701
feels related

>>3634015
never gonna happen, even some bro wanted to host his own VR server, the best you can do is promote and guide people to Ephenia and help out noobs
the fragmented community is the worst thing to happen with PSO in this day and age
even though no one likes BR's
>>
>>3634008

Those fucking saws hurt like a bitch in Ult. Feels like I have to spam Resta at times to keep people alive, even when playing with levels 150ish people.
>>
>>3634057
thats what i meant, we all get on Ephenia or something and we can play there just have PSO threads on /vr/
>>
>>3634015
People on /v/ made a discord in april to play together but it died during summer.
>>
File: dcpsov2_thumb.jpg (59KB, 582x551px) Image search: [Google]
dcpsov2_thumb.jpg
59KB, 582x551px
>>3634136
well, you want it, you do it

draft up a thread opening post with all the details, info for old and new players, higlight all the Ephinia points and modes like hardcore and sandbox, bonus rates events and kill counter and why they miss playing, hit them right in the nostalgia feels

post it in this thread so everyone can critique or add info to it and see where it goes from there
>>
>>3634201
Ephenia seems to crash more than schthack did, did they ever fix it?
>>
>>3634236
I haven't crashed since I came back to ephinea about 2 weeks ago, and I do recall crashing in its earlier days, so I guess its more stable now
>>
this is a dumb question, but i just started playing psobb and im wondering how to post the symbol faces in chat people are doing. i registered the symbol, but i dont know how to post one.
>>
File: psobb_manual-page-006.jpg (410KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
psobb_manual-page-006.jpg
410KB, 1650x1275px
>>3634269
open the chat menu with Y button the one above your action pallet or end key if not using controller
you might have to toggle it from word chat to symbol I cant remeber off the top of my head what it is on keyboard,
you can also use this to scroll to the shortcut quick menu and equip weapons, use items and techniques
when the quick menu is open you can cancel slow movement when near an enemy and keep moving at full speed, 'menu running'
>>
File: psobb_manual-page-007.jpg (268KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
psobb_manual-page-007.jpg
268KB, 1650x1275px
>>3634269
http://archives.dcemulation.org/www.psobb.com/www.psobb.com/downloads/manual.html
>>
File: pso1313025564.jpg (27KB, 401x254px) Image search: [Google]
pso1313025564.jpg
27KB, 401x254px
>>3634269
never forgot
>>
File: pso1276553150.jpg (34KB, 409x253px) Image search: [Google]
pso1276553150.jpg
34KB, 409x253px
>>3634269
Rappies
Dont
Die
>>
>>3634290
>>3634293
thanks!
>>
>>3634348
you twat lol I logged in to check
glad you got it, Y then X to toggle or
end then tab

wow Ephinea added segregated SFX BGM levels
wowowowow I have wanted that forever
I always had to use the -16DB sound pack

G fucking G
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (423KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
423KB, 1366x768px
what does this mean?
>>
>>3634495
you used the search friend card function and it found a player online result

check you freined list
>>
>>3634515
ah ok never knew that
>>
the grind is what makes the game fun to me. the sense of progression is rewarding especially when you start to get good weapons
>>
looks like we won't even be getting 98% DAR on ephinea, sux
>>
>had a DC back when I was a kid but never got paid because no internet
>found out about epinea a couple days ago
>got a level 26 hucast, been grinding forest 1/2 on hard
>using pistol to kill shit before it hits me

I'm not retarded am I? I've been playing solo 100%, but why is forest on hard less difficult than ruins on normal?

Should I be using a melee weapon even if I'm dying in 3-4 hits?

Also is there a way to auto lock on to mobs? The cameras kind of suck and my character hits in a wrong direction occasionally because of angles
>>
>>3636676
>>3636676
>I'm not retarded am I? I've been playing solo 100%
playing solo is retarded, especially at low levels
make a room called 'noob pls help' or something

the camera is just something you get used to, positioning is part strategy and part tactical

you use what you can, what does the most damage, and what places you in the best position, like door sniping

get some high levels to help rush TTF

look out for a lv 200 called Pluto
he is totally good guy and super kind to noobs,

if you die in less hits than the enemy does, use a different weapon/ strat lol

at least with handgun you can tag and run in boss rush

you got to lv 26 grinding solo online you fucking madman, do you like punishing yourself
the enemies are harder online free play than 1 player quests too if i rember correctly

just join or make parties that invite
>>
>>3636676

Constantly keep the camera forward with the up arrow key (forgot how to do it with a GC/Xbox 360 controller). It makes combat much easier to manage.

>>3636705

MewPlushie is often very happy to grind TTF over and over for noobs as well. He/she tends to talk a lot and types like an anime fangirl in 2002, tho.
>>
>>3636676
you know theres a button to center the camera right?
>>
>>3636705
>do you like punishing yourself
I mean I got to high diamond playing league of legends so yes lol

>>3636716
>>3636718
Ah I use a 360 controller while playing and I have the camera centering thing on my left bumper button, but sometimes it doesnt line up exactly. I'll try using a keyboard as well and see how that goes. It's not a huge deal just a minor thing

I'm still loving the game though. Would be nice to have people to pay with but even so I like doing a bit early morning grind before work. Seems relaxing to me or something lol
>>
>>3636716
I actually saw a post on the forum by IDK who that was welcoming a newplayer and typed out

*Pounces Harna-san and examines closely* Hmmmmm....another Scht survivor finds their way here! You will find MOST if not All of us are Scht refugees here as well dear! =3! It's prolly a Fate thing =D! Others will more likely chime in and halp[...] per purrson

I was a little shocked to find people still cringy enough to type like that, the best thing about a 16 year old game is that usually, USUALLY you get a more mature olderfag chilled group of players.

the exceptions exist still I guess
https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/happy-to-have-found-out-the-pso-community-still-exists.4353/#post-43638
>>
>>3636750

Yeah, I was legit surprised that there are people that still write like that. He/she is a big help for grinding characters to Ult and getting some good gear early, so I can't complain too much about it.
>>
>>3636765
ying and yang
good and bad
rough and smooth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
File: 1471179678484.jpg (17KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
1471179678484.jpg
17KB, 500x398px
>>3636750
yeah the best part is, mew is 46 i think, and there are a lot of players on ephinea between 28-40 in general
>>
im the OP of this thread: >>3637342

let me know what you think and hopefully PSO threads on /vr/ can be a continuing thing.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.