[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>yfw you realise that Metroid is a ripoff of Nodes of Yesod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1477329437791.jpg (995KB, 2250x2250px) Image search: [Google]
1477329437791.jpg
995KB, 2250x2250px
>yfw you realise that Metroid is a ripoff of Nodes of Yesod
>>
>>3619487
I've never heard of Metroid, is it as good as Nodes of Yesod?
>>
You should know by now that most "groundbreaking" games like that didn't invent anything.

Devs in interviews will always claim it was their brilliant idea though, but in some cases it may the publisher which doesn't want the influence to get acknowledged.

However they do get credit for refining a formula, making it popular and influencial, and bringing new ingredients to it which then became a norm.

Some games which deserve credit do slip through the net though, even with today's interest in retro gaming, but that's mostly because "retro gamers" are all about console.
For instance nobody ever mentions Zombi for being the first real survival horror game, with actual survival horror gameplay mechanics; even now that it got a reboot that was a launch title on Wii-U.
That's because Zombi was a computer game. Instead youtubers will copy each others praising Sweet Home as the grandaddy of survival horror even though it barely even is one.
>>
>>3619501
Maybe they never heard of the original?
>>
>>3619509
You should check on Mikami suddenly admitting Resident Evil was inspired by Alone In The Dark after he left Capcom. Before that, ever since 1995, he claimed he had never even played it, which is beyond ridiculous considering AitD invented the whole "3D models in 2D pre-rendered background" thing.

While I do believe two people can have the same idea, it usually happens when you have the same influences.

Also, I believe that devs in 80's and 90's, back when new genres were being born every year, were very knowledgeable about anything new that was being made, because back then, it mattered in order to sniff out the next cool promising concept. Nowadays it's not the case anymore.

They'll just never admit it, either it's ego, or they want to take all the credit, or they think it would be bad publicity and downrate the game to admit influences like that.
For instance I believe the creator of Rez was obviously inspired by Otocky; but instead he claims "the ideas truck him when he went to an european rave party in the mid 90's" because that sounds just as much cooler.
Cases like Mikami admitting he was a lier 20 years later only recomforts this belief.
>>
>>3619487

Bullshit or not, who cares. A game doesn't need to be original to be good, specially when it does better than the source material.
>>
>>3619501
>Zombi
It was Ant Attack though.
>>
shite game has NO meaning to it, ive got this game and youcando fuckall, i suppose them days you could get away with making shit!
>>
It looks more like it influenced Sanic than Metroid desu
the only thing it has in common with metroid is that it's in space and you're wearing a space suit; none of the mechanics are original, and there is no weapon upgrades and the like
>>
>>3619487
youre stupid and dont realise its nothing like metroid you nobhead
>>
>>3619570
thats what im saying mate, the mechanics that they do have in common yesod did no originate either way
>>
>>3619532
metroid is original. originality comes from the fact that they use new mechanics or old mechanics in new ways, and on that end metroid does more than the bare bones side scrolling and platforming that yesod didn't even begin
>>
>Dizzy was the original metroidvania
>>
you're all queers
>>
>>3619583
At least I'm not homophobic
>>
>>3619627
When you come to Los Angeles you can suck my cock.
>>
>>3619583
WATCH IT PAULIE
>>
>>3619525

As long as we aren't talking outright theft or near 1:1 rehashing, most game makers and art people probably understand taking inspiration and adding your own interpretation to it. That's just the way the world works, building on the ideas of others with each reinterpretation adding something interesting to the formula.
>>
>>3619501
>>3619525
I think Japanese have a history of basically ripping off others' ideas and not feeling much shame about it. From Contra "drawing inspiration" from a ton of '80s movies, to Double Dragon II music sounding strikingly similar to "Easy Lover", to Capcom just plain putting Mike Tyson and bruce Lee into their game, to Yuzo Koshiro's whole career, it's often just baffling how nonchalantly they go about it, even going as far as to claim authorship for themselves.

This is not even bound to games, look at Jimmy Page for example. The man is simply notorious for how many uncredited covers he """wrote""".
>>
File: 1477794187183.jpg (88KB, 794x782px) Image search: [Google]
1477794187183.jpg
88KB, 794x782px
>>3619487
>yfw you realize both are rips of Underwurlde
>>
File: img_1966.jpg (43KB, 639x438px) Image search: [Google]
img_1966.jpg
43KB, 639x438px
>mfw every video game ever is a ripoff of old concepts from the paleolithic era
>>
>>3619717
And those were ripoffs of nature.
>>
English developers have never done anything relevant. It doesn't count.
>>
>>3619686
The Japanese (and most other people for that matter) didn't have the concept of copyright like modern western countries developed. The idea of "ripping off" ideas is something that was more born from American laws that were designed to encourage and protect inventors like Thomas Edison and the effects of these laws just trickled down to other forms of intellectual property and American law around this got increasingly more strict when it got more profitable to do so.

These laws didn't come over to Japan in the same way and so they have a looser concept of copyright. If you pointed out back in the 80s or 90s that characters in a video game are straight up "rip offs" of film characters you'd probably get a confused shrug like "who cares" from the Japanese.
>>
It's hard to distinguish a ripoff, a coincidence and a homage.

I think in the case of this "Nodes of Yesod" Spectrum game, I'd say it's more of a coincidence. I don't think Spectrum was popular in Japan, was it?
>>
>>3619487
Don't forget metroid is also largely inspired by alien.
>>
>>3619582
>Not Jet Set Willy
>>
>>3620135
>not Manic Miner
>>
>>3620427
>those fucking sounds
MAKE IT STOP
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.