[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flawed Gems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: lagoon_us_box_art.jpg (3MB, 2100x1534px) Image search: [Google]
lagoon_us_box_art.jpg
3MB, 2100x1534px
Because not every game has to be a masterpiece to be enjoyable
>>
File: 307001_front[1].jpg (70KB, 300x538px) Image search: [Google]
307001_front[1].jpg
70KB, 300x538px
pretty generic and grindy, but the battle system made it stand out for me
it's kinda like the one in FFXII, but this one was more involving because you need to change the AI regularly
>>
>>3619007
I remember playing this as a kid. The dungeons were all mazes and it was super easy to get lost. At least for a dumb kid. I got to the final boss and couldn't finish the game, it was too difficult for me.

Maybe I should try to finish it now...
>>
>>3619321
if you save up the full life restoring item (can't remember what it's called), the final boss isn't too bad
>>
>>3619415
Yup, and that was my problem as a kid. I have a feeling I used it against that giant ice ball thing. I remember that being a pain in the ass, even 20 years later.
>>
File: miraclewarriors.png (47KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
miraclewarriors.png
47KB, 256x192px
Miracle Warriors.
Super grindy, tiny map
But man that music, 10/10
>>
>>3619007
>Flawed Gems
You could throw out any game that's ever been suggested as a masterpiece and you'd still be able to find flaws. Feels like no reason to make this kind of distinction.
>>
>>3619667
You wouldn't be able to tell from how much some of you suck some games' cocks
>>
>>3619007
>another kids react thread
Cool story broling
>>
>>3619007
Attacting?
What is attacting?
And why are RPG players doing it in waves?

I'm so lost right now....
>>
A week or two ago I played through Ghoul School (NES) because Cinemassacre did a video on it that trashed it while inadvertently making it look kind of cool, and some of the comments were defending it, and I was curious about what it was actually about.

It turns out to be a high quality Metroid-style game that is dragged down by its somewhat awkward controls and its overly repetitive small-scale level design and visual background design. (The overall map in the game is good on the large scale, but the details within a single room tend to be lacking; most rooms are just open hallways that all look and feel almost the same.) It's funny and even witty, and perfectly playable once you get past the terrible first impression it gives. I quite liked it, although I can't dismiss its major problems.

AVGN in general is a decent source of games of this sort. Simon's Quest, TMNT, Die Hard, Street Fighter 2010 (actually that one maybe didn't even have any major flaws?), Godzilla (NES), even the famous E.T., all worth playing on their own merits. Sometimes. By some people.

They're all easier to get into that Lagoon, anyway. Oh god that tiny sword, and that criminally small distance between your dude and the edge of the screen. And the boring, poorly balanced spells too... but yeah it is kind of a cool game in spite of all that.

I only finished it once, on a rental, and I still have half the music memorized...
>>
Terranigma

the forced grinds absolutely kill the pacing of the game, and the combat never really evolves as the game goes along

Still greato
>>
File: advice.gif (18KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
advice.gif
18KB, 256x224px
I used to be into Phantom Fighter. Then I think I tried to play it again as an adult, and found it too repetitive and grindy? But it's also weird and charming.
>>
>>3619007
It was fun, but I kept hoping the next weapon upgrade would give more range than that god damned pocket-knife. It never did.

Sweet OST though.

>>3619321
>>3619415
I don't remember if I used that item, or even ever got it. All I know is that it took me 3 separate rentals before I beat it as a kid.
>>
>>3621282
I just played through it for the first time fairly recently, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is certainly repetitive: the entire game consists of walking through largely-identical buildings, and demonstrating that your kung-fu is superior to largely-identical Chinese vampires. However, the combat mechanics are so good that I didn't really care. The enemies are generally a lot of fun to fight, especially later in the game once you've learned most of the kung-fu techniques.

It is a bit silly that the really tall vampires are completely and utterly defenseless against someone crouching and punching them in the crotch repeatedly, though. The recruitable vampire also seemed to be useless, which is a little disappointing since you have to go through some effort to recruit and deploy him.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.