[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everyone talks about the Wii being a great emulation console.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: wiibrew-pic-490.jpg (21KB, 490x280px) Image search: [Google]
wiibrew-pic-490.jpg
21KB, 490x280px
Everyone talks about the Wii being a great emulation console.

Having hacked my Wii with Homebrew and loading several emulators onto it, I seem to be having issues with it.

There seems to be this annoying laggy judder everytime the screen scrolls. It's more noticeable on SNES9X and Gameboy games.

I get that no emulator is perfect but ZSNES on my PC isn't this shitty.

Is this just how it is? Or do I have to somehow optimise it?
>>
Wii emulation is a stupid meme for crt retards. Get a computer.
>>
Probably you're using interlaced output on a progressive scan display
>>
>>3618007
Anon, I took this under consideration and changed the video settings from automatic to progressive. Fucking works fine now. Guess I'm just a retard but I can't thank you enough.
>>
>>3618495

Yanno I just wanted to point out, when somebody begs for help on here, usually the minute their problem is solved they disappear without so much as saying thanks. It's cool that you didn't do that. You're helping to reinforce altruism towards strangers.
>>
>>3617859
leeching onto the thread, anyone have recognition issues using a classic or pro controller with emulators?
>>
File: DSCN0294.jpg (478KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0294.jpg
478KB, 1600x1200px
>>3617859
If you're playing on a flat panel set resolution to double scale, e.g. snes at 512x448. I also like to use a scanline filter at 60%. Setting the res to double scale also prevents screen tearing while scrolling.
>>3618597
mine works fine in RA.

snes@2x with scanlines
>>
>>3618597
Only with third party controllers. Official ones work fine
>>
>>3618642
I almost forgot, set Wii and tv to 4:3
>>
>>3618597
sometimes classic controller blows out my wiimote, when it happens i gotta reboot. poorly coded shitty mame usually does it.
>>
I know there's a "best emulators/settings for each system" jpg floating around but I don't have it so I'll try and explain. The Wii homebrew scene is a derelict, poorly documented graveyard where outdated apps are at the forefront and the best shit is the hardest to find. If you just grab the first emulators you find and throw 'em on an SD card you're probably not getting the best results. It's big on /vr/ because it IS super accurate but only when done right.

First of all - ditch Snes9xGX, FCEUGX, VBAGX, Mame, all that old shit. They've been abandoned for years, they crash, have slowdown, compatibility is so-so, there's little reason to bother with them. Download the Wii binaries and cores for Retroarch and start using that. Here are my recommended cores:

SNES: Snes9x-next
NES: FCEUmm
TG16: Mednafen PCE Fast
SMS/MD: Genesis Plus (the normal emulator version is fine too here)
Neo Geo/Arcade: Final Burn Alpha
GB/GBC: Gambatte
GBA: mGBA

The thing with Retroarch is, even though the emulation quality is superior, its UI is still a cumbersome piece of shit and its got some asshole devs. It gets heat on /vr/ for this reason with a portion of the board yelling shill as soon as you mention the damn thing, but it does work. I recommend using a frontend like Wiiflow and emulator plugins to get around using the UI but focus on trying different emulators first.
>>
>>3617984
Enjoy your input lag and shit motion
>>
File: index.jpg (12KB, 242x208px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 242x208px
>>3619964
so does VR only have terrible computers or some shit
>>
>>3617984
Another /vr/ hero correcting others for their villainous gaming ways. Thank you for your service, anon.
>>
>>3620169
Your computer doesn't even have anything to do with lag. That's caused by your display and your emulator.
>>
File: nu conker.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
nu conker.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
>>3620174
thats basically not even a real problem at that point then.

ok, but what about the cycle accurate emulators? just a heads up only retards use fceux anymore.
>>
>>3619904
I fucking hate their interface. Wish someone would take the better cores and recode them as standalone emulators using the interface all the gx emulators used.
>>
>>3620691
Isn't this the entire point of libretro? Nothing's stopping you from replacing RA's interface with a better one at present. There's plenty of alternative frontends.
>>
>>3619904

Finally got Retroarch onto my Wii, can you recommend me some settings for a CRT 14'?
>>
>>3620784
FOURTEEN FOOT TUBE?
baller
>>
>>3620730
an external frontend that consumes more memory is not a solution, arcade games consume too much of wii's already limited system memory without another program loaded to memory
>>
>>3620174
You could just use a good LCD screen or a VGA CRT. But I still think personally Wii emulation isn't great cause it's using Bluetooth for the Wii controllers and the other option is gamecube controller which are shit unless for gamecube games. Then again I'm a biasd PVM Scart faggot that's got flashcarts for every console
>>
>>3621509

There are Gamecube converters for most controller-types out there going for pretty cheap, I have SNES and NES ones and they're flawless. Zero lag whatsoever.

>>3621056

Yeah, Retroarch is stuck between a rock and a hard place as the shitty 90s UI is about the only thing that'll work with the Wii.

If you want to use Wiiflow or Postloader to load games instead get this https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-4-the-masterpiece-pack-by-abz.336543/. You have to have everything in the right folders and it's a bit fiddly but it's FAR preferable, you can use the cores and don't have to see as much as the Retroarch boot screen.
>>
>>3621509
aren't there adapters to plug the classic controller up to the GC ports
>>
I got two questions guys,
am i better off emulating n64 on the wii or do the virtual console ports run smoother?
the only games I'm interested in playing already have virtual console ports anyway.
and
Where's the best place to download isos for the wii? Most of them are split and zipped up and its really messy, I just want to download full isos and stick them on a hard drive with no hassle
>>
>>3625654
Compression means smaller file sizes and faster download. It's a good thing.
>>
Hey, since this is a nintendo-emu related thread...

Anyone figured out how to make Dolphin emulating Timesplitters 2 play nice with mouse/keyboard controls? I can't make it not aim in a retarded manner with the crosshairs brought up, also I can't make the mouse not keep behaving as a normal windows cursor even when the emulator is fullscreen, and I can't imagine I have to make a goddamn hook or injector just to make my mouse not fuck up.

Also also, this part isn't retro, but, anyone figure out how to make PS4 remote play work with mouse/keyboard controls? I own the console and the controller, but I don't want to *use* the damn controller they're so insistent on.
>>
>>3617984
Wiis are pretty good for running GameCube isos. Also, there aren't a whole lot of systems powerful enough to handle emulation that can output 240p on a CRT, and the Wii happens to be one of the few. Of course, a Raspberry Pi or a PC equipped with an ArcadeVGA card would be better.
>>
>>3620174
Time to listen to the kitty and stop posting champ
>>
>>3619904
>The thing with Retroarch is, even though the emulation quality is superior, its UI is still a cumbersome piece of shit and its got some asshole devs.
It's total pure luck if I manage to get any arcade game to work. MAME on Wii kinda sucks. What do?
>>
>>3625721
I dunno. How about playing the fucking game as it was intended, with a control pad?
>>
>>3626034
Yeah, I can some arcade games to work fine on Wii but they take absolutely fucking ages to load. Like seriously, most emulators work great but mame takes 20 minutes just to load a fucking old arcade machine.
>>
>>3626381
Because I don't wanna fly a gun?

From shit at Destiny to literally unkillable with a friend's mouse/keyboard adapter

Almost 20 years of muscle memory and conditioning goes a LONG way, man. "I" did it with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, it's not perfect mouse/kb emu but it does work and it works well, we can do it for Timesplitters, just gotta find people who know wtf they're doing.
>>
>>3621553
Is USB loader GX possible to use as a frontend for retroarch? I'd prefer everything centralized since I already have that
>>
Right now I do all of my emulation off my Vita, but I do have a Wii lying around the house. Is there anyway I can sync save states between the two?
>>
>>3626472
might be able to do it manually if you switch files constantly. not sure.
>>
I play most of my PC Engine at 240p on the Wii, since using my actual PCE is a pain in the ass.

Also Neo Geo and of course genesis, nes and snes.

It's fine if you use a computer though. As long as you have A/V out to connect to a CRT.
>>
>>3626479
Hmm, might be a bitch considering you can only move files to and from a Vita through FTP right now. Is it really that much better than even a Wii U for the same purpose, cause it might be simpler for me just to use my PC.
>>
>>3626501
i prefer the wii for emulation simply for using wired controllers, easily hooking up to CRTs, and native gamecube support. just depends on what you want.
>>
>>3626501
>>3626479
Also, is there anyway to connect, say a ps3 controller, instead for emulation and Nintendont? I have both the GameCube and Classic Controllers, but I kinda hate using them if it's not necessary, lol.
>>
>>3626514
kys

i dont know anything about ps3 controllers but once you go gc you never go back
>>
>>3626527
Sorry bro. I play a lot of side scrollers and RPGs, and that dpad is pure ass. Ain't a better controller for Smash though, I'll give you that much.
>>
>>3626549
I use converters from retro to Gamecube standard so I admit I haven't put a ton of time on GCN d-pads but it seems pretty much the same as every other Nintendo d-pad. Isn't that kind of their thing?
>>
>>3626549
true, its god tier for melee and pm. you could do like waht this anon does >>3626618
if you have an snes controller you can get a decent adapter. im gonna do that once i get the money
>>
>>3626527
The GameCube controller is one of my all-time favourite joypads. It just rolls off your fingers.
>>
>>3626387
>load game with wrong core
>black screen
>get up and manually restart wii
I hate everything
>>
Latching on again, but I got the Shenmue 2 rom, but it comes in mdf/mds. What is the best program to use to convert them to iso or cdi? Demul won't recognize it otherwise.
>>
>>3628880
Look up the Shenmue pastebin and download a proper iso, preferably gdi if you're emulating
>>
>>3626514
Yes, you can connect a DS3 but only through USB. Don't know the details though, but you should find something on google.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.