[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of all the consoles considered retro on /vr/, which is the best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: retro-gaming.gif (330KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
retro-gaming.gif
330KB, 800x600px
Out of all the consoles considered retro on /vr/, which is the best?
>>
>>3616268
NES.
>>
SNES. Easily.
>>
>>3616268
I'm gonna go with SNES.
>>
>>3616268
PS1, but the SNES is a very close second
>>
File: Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png (4MB, 4060x1340px) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png
4MB, 4060x1340px
>>
>>3616301
That's not a bad vote, but I think the library is a bit limiting. I think it's tough to argue it's the best console. It's *very* good at what it does, but it has a bit to be desired when it comes to variety.
>>
Game.com. Close second: PSX (the one from Japan)
>>
Philips CD-i is the clear winner here
>>
>>3616268
Your favorite.
>>
>>3616320
This board needs more people like you.
>>
>>3616312
Based anon is based.
>>
Snes hs been my favorite for a while. Plus 16 bit gen is so so sexy
>>
NES, SNES or PS1, depending on the age of the poster. No matter your preference you can't deny the influence of these consoles and the massive libraries.
>>
Genesis
NES
PS1
SNES
N64
Neo-Geo
Dreamcast
Saturn
>>
>>3616268
As a Nintendo babby, I'd have to say PS1
>Massive library, you can't not find something you'll love
>Damn near every 3rd party game
>arcade, pc, and even nes/snes ports
>cd player, because why the fuck not
>>
File: 1398284834638.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1398284834638.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>3616320
the hero 4chan deserves
>>
>>3616268
It will depend on which console you grew up with, I had a n64 so I think it's the best. I got an xbox when I was older, but it's not really considered retro (although it should be)
>>
>>3616268
My favourite console is the Master System, but I'd say SNES is the best overral.
>>
>>3616564
It's pretty much this. Let's be honest, the only shit consoles are the actual overpriced, poor value ones with tiny libraries; like the CD-i, Jaguar or the 32X. Or the gimmicks like the Virtual Boy or Game.com.

Then there's the reliability factor that can make a console shit, I think the 360 is one of the worst consoles of all time simply due to it's poor reliability.
>>
I would have to say the NES. Pat the NES Punk from the completely unnecessary podcast has a complete set including gold and grey nwc carts. If it wasnt the best system he wouldnt have bothered with a full set. His partner in crime Ian Ferguson also used to collect for this system, therefore if its good enough for both him and his compadre, it has to be the best...
>>
>>3618364
He doesn't have a full set, he has like 800 games with lots of doubles. It's an impressive collection but not a full set, not even close.

He doesn't even have Dinosaur Peak or Little Samson iirc, certainly not Stadium Events.
>>
>>3618372
He does have a full set thank you very much. The only cart he doesnt have is stadium events but who in their right mind would pay asking price for that game...
>>
The one i like it
>>
>>3618385
lolno, he doesn't. He has tons of doubles, he's said that himself several times and indeed said he especially didn't have the games I mentioned, thank you very much.

And you call yourself a fan...
>>
>>3618540
I have it on very good authority that the only game he is missing is stadium events, dumbass...
>>
>>3616312
>>3616347
go samefag somewhere else memelord
>>
>>3616268
bally astrocade
>>
SNES no doubt.
>>
We had a big poll some weeks/months ago and SNES was the most voted.
>>
>>3616268
Playstation 2 and Dreamcast
>>
>>3618669

>PS2

Your childhood will never, ever be retro. Ever.
>>
>>3618671
This reminds me, why is there such a clear gap between retro and not retro? Anything before 2000 is considered to be retro regardless of age. The ps2 is 16 years old this year and yet no one considers it retro, yet the dreamcast came out one year earlier and is.

The n64 was considered to be retro by a decent number of people by the end of the 2000s and definitely at the start of the 2010's while consoles like the OG xbox and gamecube are considered old, but not retro.

It's really weird honestly
>>
>>3618757
This copypasta every day until the end of time.
>>
>>3618757
I think people don't count the dreamcast because it was kind of an underdog and got so quickly swept away by the PS2 and GC

The PS2 is still my favorite console of all time, and probably the only one I'd ever make a point to own.
And I still don't feel like it's retro. I can go back and play FFXII or any tony hawk game on PS2 and it still gives off almost the same feel as any modern game in terms of quality.
And when I say quality, I'm not making some arbitrary "hurr gameplay>grafix" nonsense. PS2 graphics really hold up, all things considered.

I know it might be ironic considering where I'm posting, but I think that older graphic capabilities DO limit a game's potential quality, and PS2 hits a nice sweet spot where you can basically make any game and the graphical capabilities won't hold you back unless you're basing a game's pretense entirely on graphics.
>>
>>3618790
That's true i guess

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what it is but a lot of the 6th generation games play the same as the 7th and 8th gen ones.

perhaps it's a result of the fact that after the 5th gen games were capable of doing pretty much everything everyone dreamed of (big open worlds, hogh poly count models, decent cutscenes) and have stagnated from then on as a result of there not being much able to do in terms of progression.

Everything from the first generation to the 5th generation had its own distinct styles which you could use to tell which era it was from.
>>
>>3618364
>>3618372
>>3618385
>>3618540
>>3618583

What was the point of this samefaggotry? Is some anon trying to discredit a youtube e-celeb by roleplaying two "fans"? It's one thing to shitpost but this I don't even see how anyone would have fun with this.
>>
My wife and I have to go with the Retron V.

Should I get her son's input?
>>
Sega genesis
>>
Tie between SNES and N64
>>
>>3619035
Nah mate, I am saying he has a full set minus stadium events, not arguing that he doesnt...
>>
>>3618585
>>3619035
What's up with this samefagging? Go do this shit somewhere else.
>>
File: genesismodel1.jpg (375KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
genesismodel1.jpg
375KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>3616268
Genesis. It does what Nintendon't. It has every important 90s game that wasn't Mario.
>>
Genesis.
Can you recommend me some good games by the way ?
>>
>>3619536

Altered Beast

Best console is PC Engine btwn
>>
N64, Snes and Nes are interchangeable for topspot
Then Playstation
Gameboy Colour
Game Boy
Atari
Saturn

> poverty line power gap

Niggerdrive
Master shitstem

> irrelevant garbage tier
Jaguar
Gay gear
Memecast

>>3619536
The Shining Souls games are GOAT
Mickey and Donald in World Of Illusion is too

>>3619539
> altered beast
Confirmed troll, kek this shit is barely playable
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.