[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it better than the original?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Was it better than the original?
>>
>>3616226
It's so different it doesn't feel right comparing them.
It's good by its own merit, it's a nice experiment.
>>
>>3616226
In some ways. The combat was better, the dungeons felt more sprawling and dangerous. I really like the music too. I think my biggest problem is how disconnected the map feels from the rest of the game. In the original Zelda you can explore every nook and cranny of the world whereas in Zelda II it's like just traveling from one point to another. I just wish there was more to do on the overworld I guess.
>>
Only Zelda game I like.
>>
>>3616226
I actually don't think it's fair to compare these two honestly. They're just very different games. I think they're both great, but they're honestly so far apart that comparing them is like trying to ask if anime is better than tacos or something. Just doesn't make sense.
>>
File: 1467759582407.jpg (179KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
1467759582407.jpg
179KB, 640x905px
I love both, but mostly came here to post this image.
>>
I believe it's just as great as the original. It excels in ways the original doesn't but the original excels in ways Zelda II doesn't.

They're companion pieces.
>>
>>3616226
Yeah. It's aged better, too.
>>
>>3616226
Zelda 2 is objectively better than Zelda.
>>
What, are "Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger" threads not reeling them in anymore?
>>
>>3616226
terrible game. awful followup to the masterpiece that was the original. liking it is a meme and you are all retards
>>
>>3616226
Zelda 2 is possibly the most unfairly underrated game of a major series of all time.

I've said this several times on /vr/: the only major problems that this game has is the limited/non-distinctive graphics and the weak translation/cryptic nature of the game (the latter can easily be fixed by using the internet today)

Zelda 2 has very fluid and responsive controls, which can allow the player to pull of very precise jumps, stabs, and slashes. The combat and controls are the best that could've be implemented in a 2D game like this. Compare the jumping and attacks from Zelda 2 with something like Castlevania, Double Dragon, or just about any 2D sidecroller with emphasis on combat. Almost all of the seem very, slow, clunky and limited in contrast to Zelda, even the ones released much later.

As for the enemies and dungeons, I find them very, very good as well. The game has many types of enemies that attack/must be fought in separate ways, and added to the unique level design in different dungeons/encounters makes the game constantly entertaining and engaging. The controls are perfect, practice for a bit if you don't get it straight away.

This game also expanded on towns, sidequests, magic, items, and added a whole lot of what can be considered today as "the zelda formula".

This game was very good for its time, it's still very good today, and I think the people who dislike never gave it a fair chance. Peace out.
>>
How is the GBA version? Did they tweak it a bit?
>>
They're not really comparable. I like it better than 1 but the game aims to offer a different experience than the others in the series.

>>3616704
>objectively

Stop using words wrong.
>>
>>3616226
Binary thinking
>>
>>3616481
Made me chuckle
>>
>>3616238
I agree with this. While there isn't really a way to flat out judge which game is better, I feel that it did do those things better than the original, especially the combat. In regards to the overworld, it did have some cryptic areas that required exploring akin to Zelda I despite it being more straightforward, though I didn't really mind it as it fit with the new style of gameplay.
>>
I think both games are pretty much complementary of each other at this point.

Zelda 2 has the complex gameplay while the first one has the exploration.

There was some clear RPG inspiration on the second one, it feels more dated in its presentation than the first one but the main reason for this is probably how much they tried to put on it.

One thing i find much better in the sequel is the sountrack.
>>
>>3617619
It's the same but with flickering graphics. All they did was change the indention of some text. Everything else is the exact same.

Unlike the GBA version of Zelda 1 though, it's actually playable because it doesn't have a 15 second long interval when you pause for the menu.
>>
>>3616226
I don't know if I would say it's necessarily better than the original, but it is my favorite game in the series.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.