[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everquest Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: Everquest.jpg (144KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Everquest.jpg
144KB, 1280x960px
Do you remember /vr/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XE0iLYWeLc
>>
File: IMAGE00012101.jpg (629KB, 1635x2328px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGE00012101.jpg
629KB, 1635x2328px
>>3615990
My personal collection of business flyers remembers.
>>
>>3615990
I still play P99.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>3615990
yeah...and?
>>
>>3615990
gearing up a wizard atm, used to be my main class, stuck to tanking this time around, looking forward to get started with the wiz though, fun class, especially in group!
>>
>>3616489
>wizard tanking

in classic everquest?
>>
Is there any way to play P99 using the files from the Steam version, or do I have to go to Amazon?

I'm having fun with it now, but Project 99 seems a lot better.
>>
somone here posted this paragraph regarding EQ years back and i saved it in notepad because it rings 100% true to the way i feel about EQ.

EQ was, and still remains to be, my favorite game of all time, i'm 30 years old and have been gaming essentially all my life and i've never felt the same way EQ made me feel, there was, and will never be, anything like it:

If you were playing EQ between the years 1999-2002, consider yourself extremely lucky. Imagine thousands of people thrown
into a completely unfamiliar world together and forced to try to cooperate and work together. Remember, there had never
been a game like this before. If you had never played MUD's (and once EQ started gaining popularity most of the new players
hadn't) then it was an entirely new gaming experience. Imagine being among the first people to play a FPS. Only you're not
playing it by yourself - you're playing it with thousands of other people that you talk to every day and become friends
with. You all experience this new phenomenon together and try to figure it out. Everquest, up until the Shadows of Luclin
expansion (the one after Velious) was an amazing, semi religious experience for it's players. All the rules, customs,
etiquette and other things that people take for granted in MMO's these days were just being thought up, developed and
considered. Everquest was amazing not for how refined a game it was, but for how unrefined and savage it could be. If you
died, it wasn't uncommon for you to run 30 mins in pitch blackness to recover your corpse. Often you would ask your friend
>>
cont.

to grab all your items and money off your body for you and hold it for you! There was no in game map either. You had to
find your way using landmarks or the awkward coordinates system. If you wanted to go from one island to another, you took
a 30 min (real time) boat ride. Hard to imagine in today's MMO's. There was a sense of community and real roleplaying that
ceases to exist in todays arcade style games. People would regularly gather in public places and drink and talk just for
the hell of it, for hours on end. To sell items you would sit in a tunnel for hours a day spamming the same for sale
message to the whole zone. People would "camp" a certain rare spawn for up to 24 hours straight in order to get an item
they needed to continue a quest, only to have their kill stolen by a mage who was sitting next to them invisible the
entire time! It's hard to explain, but I miss those days, and so do most people who played back then. Sadly, we can't go back to those innocent times.
>>
File: 1463016456086.jpg (508KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1463016456086.jpg
508KB, 1600x1200px
>>3617976
>>3617981
Never played EQ or any mmorpg for that matter. But trying EQ has always been on the bucket list. How noob friendly is the private server? Could I easily find some friendly vets to show me around the game?
>>
>>3618075
i played on P99 for a while, it's pretty good although most people there seemed to have played before.

IMO if you're willing id probably just pay and play the actual version, they have two servers up now "progression servers" which are slightly ahead of where my post mentioned (Kunark, i beleive one is still in Veilous)

and although those paid SOE servers are not as true to the experiance as P99 may be, i think the enviroment and player popualtion will be better.
>>
>>3618186
Thanks for the info. Tbh I'm not going to pay to play on the official servers just for a game this old that I merely want to test the waters with. I'll give the private server a go and if it works it works.
>>
>>3617976
>>3617981
I had the same feelings, though with UO instead of EQ. The old mmorpg times were unique indeed. Nothing was spoiled or streamlined.
Then again, we were also younger and had rarely a worry in the world. And most players were “geeks“ and “nerds“ anyway. But not those hip and trendy ones of today
>>
I know I defile the /vr/ by asking to share the PS2 everquest experiences here as well
>>
File: 1275440506067.gif (613KB, 120x113px) Image search: [Google]
1275440506067.gif
613KB, 120x113px
I miss it....so much....
>>
>>3617827

Check eqemu for client support. Probably not. Underfoot for a time was on steam and worked with eqemu

Might need to torrent a copy.
>>
P99 has the issue that EverQuest partly worked because new expansions were released as the player base got bored.

Unlike live, you don't have folks who play 'casually' (couple times a week, for 4 or so hour stretches - yeah that was 'casual' back then) so you don't have noobs like you had back then, there isn't the same bustling economy of banded mail and low level gear, it's not worth it to play druid purely for the ports and sows at low levels so you can afford gear and spells.

P99 is cool but at this point it's ruled by the top guilds who are fully geared and keep camping targets to gear their alts. On live those hardcore folks would be racing to finish the next expansion (like they do on wow, only it took months and months not a week)

Also let's not pretend not having a map was a feature . That shit sucked. I had piles and piles of printouts (alt tabbing lol yeah right) I mean it was neat back then but it was by no means ideal.

Personally when I get nostalgia i tend to play on peq boxing with friends. Some stuff really isn't fun on p99 and it's made worse when you know at max the top guilds are going to cock block you to impede your process.
>>
>>3616050
Same been playing p99.
>>
>>3618868
I watched the p99 Admins podcast as I was wondering what he thought of instancing. Found out he hated the idea as he thinks the hunt for raid bosses spawning is part of the game. That's one of the few things I like about the TLP servers. You show up, kill the boss, get the loot, end of story. Not like on p99 where you have to poopsock and have members watching for raid boss to spawn then race to get your guild online to kill it. He dislikes that part of it but believes instancing is not the answer. Well I dunno what else you would do to prevent these top guilds from spawn camping raid bosses. Instancing wiped out all of that shit.

Anyone else disagree/agree with instancing or have ideas about how to break the top guilds stranglehold on content?
>>
>>3617976
>>3617981

Yeah, those early days on EQ really were something else. I had played a few online games before that like Diablo and Starcraft, but nothing compared to the immersiveness of EQ.

I pulled my first ever all-nighter playing EQ. Got into a really good group and had a blast leveling my Wizard and chatting. Before I knew it it was dawn.
>>
>>3619868

I agree instances are not the answer. Sony solved it, they released new expansions. If p99 wants to stay on the third expansion they need to do a server reset which will never happen.

Making instances just kills the living world vibe. Part of live was cooperating and creating rules of conduct, like not stealing a camp from another group. You ask them to tell you when they leave and you wait, or the party disbands and you pick up their cleric who isn't ready to camp.

Problem is p99s top guilds are toxic as fuck and don't cooperate.

New mmorpgs are designed so everyone can experience end game so you have to have instances. Eq was ment to have endgame content be epic and a reward for hard work. It was brag worthy, just being there, no loot, nothing. Some places are brutal for the keying, then on top of that you need the gear to do anything (which usually requires you key for the previous place)

That's what I loved about eq, that it was rewarding. You had to work to get somewhere, it wasn't just handed to you like it is these days.

When you make things easy and casual you get lots of people but the accomplishment disappears because all the content is made to be accessable by putting in the time.
>>
File: Kerafyrm.jpg (31KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
Kerafyrm.jpg
31KB, 400x306px
>>3620058
Remember this guy
>>
The fact that P99 has a definitive progression and endpoint makes it non-classic. You're literally just following a spreadsheet. Back in the day you never knew how the game was going to change from patch to patch. People still played shitty classes because it might not be shitty anymore next update. On P99 you know exactly what classes are worth playing, exactly what gear you need to "complete" your character, so everything is rendered down to a simple checklist...

And on top of that everything is locked down by a couple of guilds so nobody else could progress even if they wanted to. Honestly, the open world content in EQ was probably based on a naive idea that the entire server would work together to kill dragons, they probably didn't expect a handful of mega guilds to own the server's endgame. Well, that and technical limitations of the time.

The open world endgame concept in an MMO is just fundamentally flawed. You'd essentially have to procedurally generate content to make it practical to entertain everyone on a server, which would obviously result in lower quality content.
>>
>>3616050
Red 99 was good. Haven't played in awhile.
>>
playing p99 now. its great.
>>
>>3620234
>The fact that P99 has a definitive progression and endpoint makes it non-classic. You're literally just following a spreadsheet...... On P99 you know exactly what classes are worth playing, exactly what gear you need to "complete" your character, so everything is rendered down to a simple checklist...

Exactly. Live made sense because you knew a expansion was coming - so guilds didn't waste their time locking down a target because they were bored, they locked down a target until they geared what they *needed* and waited. Money was way more important on live because the economy was like you said based on 'who knows' so after you geared learning blacksmithing to make some gear in the hopes that the next expansion would bring something that made it really worth while made sense. (and a lot of trades got that buff)

So when you know everything you need to do, you know what gear you need if Luclin ever drops, you have a stockpile of money, all that's left is the meta of impeding other guilds and just causing drama.

>And on top of that everything is locked down by a couple of guilds so nobody else could progress even if they wanted to. Honestly, the open world content in EQ was probably based on a naive idea that the entire server would work together to kill dragons, they probably didn't expect a handful of mega guilds to own the server's endgame. Well, that and technical limitations of the time.

I don't think that was the case, I think that EQ was designed so only a handful would see that epic endgame (of that expansion). The next expansion would let folks gear more easily and be able to do the content they didn't get to do. Effectively they were behind and getting the left overs. I mean even in pop era, there was legit good gear in Kunark end game raids that made it worth doing.

People seem to forget how damn hard EQ was and how long it took to even hit max level (People would play for a year and not hit level 50...) By then a new expansion dropped
>>
>>3620234
> The open world endgame concept in an MMO is just fundamentally flawed. You'd essentially have to procedurally generate content to make it practical to entertain everyone on a server, which would obviously result in lower quality content.

Well you need to make content last longer and be more interesting. Live did that because of all the busy work, if you weren't raiding there was a zillion other things to do. Travel took a good amount of time (I mean at lower levels you might spend a entire day getting to the new continent and learning the new zone you would be grinding in) Just getting all your spells every time you leveled up was a big time sink. (travel, finding all the people in the town) sitting in EC buying and selling. All of it was worth the time sink because you were always fighting on the brink of death, every bit of dmg helped.

I mean part of mmos big issue is just making it all about the end game, getting rid of the annoying stuff that had the side effect of forcing social interaction among players. Almost all my friends on EQ were from grinding for 8 hours at a camp, doing really well and in between pulls just having some banter - most of the time it being about the game, stuff they saw.

If more mmos had content that was exciting that encouraged you to take your time and absorb the world (while pushing you to play more to keep up with your friends so you could keep grouping with them) the end game problem wouldn't be a big deal. you shouldn't mind not playing with your RL friends because you're meeting cool people online.

I mean you should be able to play a mmo and feel okay with not hitting end game. Right now just about every mmo is pointless until you are maxed out.

Everquest Next did sound like a great idea - have a somewhat static world but change the layout of where important things were. Orcs leaving a area because people were camping them - harder targets moving in to replace them.
>>
>>3620496
folks still camp gnolls near highpass hold?
>>
>>3617709
no... Well I'm planning on giving him some hp items, like a cloak of the maelstrom.
What I meant to say was that I rolled a tank (SK) this time around, still love the wizard class for obvious reasons.

>>3617827
there is a torrented version that works fine. It's even linked on their homepage
>>3618075
Most people love noobs and help them out, what most people are tierd of however are giving people alot of gear and then the recipient never coming back, but that's the gamble.
I always save some gear that's to cheap to actually sell and hand it out to people I deem noob enough.
>>3621492
Ofcourse, it's one of the best places for exp level 20-30, I prefer the orcs, which is also often camped by high levels to get the one charge Divine Aura item from the one of the named shralok orcs.
Pretty much every zone is camped, cept Cazic Thule...
I prefer grouping and groups can easily be created by yourself by some basic socializing.
I get tells all the time by some crafty sucker trying to get a group going.
>>
>>3621064
I have still yet to be max level on any content release of EQ. I guess I could now with all the cheap exp potions and stuff but PvP is pretty much dead on Zek so I'm not going to level all by myself.
>>
lol i had like thousands of hours into the game and never got past lvl 45 with a shaman..

i had a main lvl 33 wizard i played the shit out of but man, even at the level it was a grind to level up
>>
>>3615990
Sold my Titanium edition for $100 awhile back.

I just started up EQ2 again for the first time in awhile
>>
>>3623062
I've noticed it being alot easier to level now with some age and maturity, there's less stress and you can enjoy the game and the levels follows!
>>
>>3623912

Well XP is increased on private servers.

Having lots of twinks (or folks with high level friends) makes XP super fast. Basically you get the best buffs in the game and you're doing 3x the size pulls as you were doing before twice as fast.

Power leveling in eq was crazy. On peq with cleric and ranger buffs/ranger ds (so not even the best ds in the game) I could go to about level 40-45 with no gear. Literally naked with a random weapon drop so I leveled up my main weapon attack.

Most of the time sink in eq isn't the grind it's the running around to get spells and skills. On live a lot of time was just lfg waiting for a group. (Which sucked when you were in a far away or hard to get to zone and couldn't go trade or do something else)

Endgame the time sink is keying/flagging and later expansions farming specific gear you needed. (Shirsa weapons in lucin for example)

First 20minutes of a raid is just buffing everyone, then meding. Shit just took time.

Travel to do all that crap takes a ton of time. One reason I quit peq for a few years was because they removed peqzone (server command that let you teleport to most zones so you didn't have to run)

Shoutouts pulling the entire zone in velks grinding dat aa.
>>
>>3620178
I think I was there when they awoke The Sleeper on p99
>>
i got a 60 warrior on p99 blue
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.