[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here played the original SMT? I listened to a podcast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Smt1snescover.jpg (147KB, 640x1162px) Image search: [Google]
Smt1snescover.jpg
147KB, 640x1162px
Anyone here played the original SMT? I listened to a podcast about it recently and it sounded interesting so I thought I'd try it. I beat Phantasy Star 1 last year so I thought I'd be fine with old JRPGs but this is a whole other level of complexity. Plus since there's never been an official English translation the item/spell names are often inconsistent in the few FAQs and wikis I can find.
I have a pretty good grasp of the basic mechanics but am still mystified by alignments, races, demon fusions, what gemstones do, etc.
I really like the concept of the game and the mechanics seem cool but it's just too obtuse and there's little information out there (in English at least). Should I keep trying to power through, or just give up and try out one of the later games?
>>
There's an official iOS translation, but fuck that.

Is this your first SMT game in general?

Also, just out of curiousity: which podcast?
>>
Played every single one.

SMT 2 is the best, I would also start there. If you still non-vr gaming, then the newer ones on the DS aren't bad either (but don't play until after SMT2)
>>
>>3615117
Yeah, I've never touched the series before.
Here's the podcast
http://www.vgmpire.com/2016/10/05/vgmpire-123-smtober-part-one/
>>
>>3615113
the fan translation of SMT is garbage unfortunately, the iOS version is the real deal if you cam handle playing it that way (I can't and I'm a huge SMT fan). The whole series is spectacular, I would recommend almost any of them, though SMT IV on 3DS is a great entry point. It's easy to go back and play the older ones since you'll get the jist of the systems you're struggling with in a more modern context. Kyuyakku Megamin Tensei has a perfect fan translation on the SNES and MTII laid the groundwork for all the SMT games that followed. MTI is amazing, but it's just a straightup hardcore dungeon crawler.
>>
>>3615240
forgive my fucking touchscreen typos...
>>
The most important thing to know is that your demons DO NOT level up with you. This isn't Pokemon, they are not your bro. Throw them in the fusion blender the instant they stop being useful.
>>
>>3615240
I know it's a stupid question, but is there anything SMTesque that's not a video game? I played DDS and Raidou, but I just don't have the time to play games anymore and I would love an SMT movie/manga/book.
Something like Lain but with digimon?
>>
>>3615274
MT 1 is based on Digital Devil Story, thats the original Novel. There is a translation somewhere out there but I don't think it's been printed.
>>
>>3615274
The whole series is based on a japanese pulp style novel series, Digital Devil Story, the first 3 are translated online and are short, solid reads. There's OVAs of many of the Persona series (not real SMT) and a few OVAs of actual SMT stuff too including an adaption of the original novel. I was in a similar boat to you, but I decided tomdive im with SMTIV, I sucked, but I beat it, and now I basically only play SMT games. The universe, lore, music, and gameplay are simply unparalleled. Enjoy it however you choose, be it manga, anime, or games; it's well worth the experience.
>>
>>3615274
There might be some translations of the SMT-related novels floating around. Here's an unfinished one from 2006 for example: https://ddstranslation.blogspot.com/2006/08/introduction_16.html
>>
File: DSRKvsKNM_CHAP01P14.png (270KB, 507x717px) Image search: [Google]
DSRKvsKNM_CHAP01P14.png
270KB, 507x717px
>>3615274
There were two different SMT OVAs. I've haven't watched the second one yet, but the first OVA isn't very good. Here they are:
https://mega.nz/#!1EFDwJiQ!ZEM9NGoV7V20QZb0Jw6DKDgmCR4RgkvIIXXL8EecN50
https://mega.nz/#!P5BChZCD!isrih_c22yMEh0USyf2OKWsezsy7KPC5UZaXKH7O-zA

This link has translations of two of the original novels and of some manga that was made; Raidou, Devil Survivor, Devil Children, Persona, Maken X (not Megaten, but the game was also by Atlus), and Devil May Cry (I presume that's just in there because Dante was in SMT Nocturne).
https://www.mediafire.com/?8sdcbb78u1jgb#ffsk55z58d88v
>>
Favourite RPG franchise, I own most games that were released in North America
>>
>>3615279
>Digital Devil Story
The novel is on bakabt, at least the 1st but its been years since I've checked.

>>3615274
Well Yugioh GX gets pretty dark on the 3rd season, it reminded me a lot of SMT and Devilman.
You could always try reading all of the Devilman manga there are including Devilman Lady
>>
>>3615279
>>3615294
>>3615917
Thanks /vr/nons
>>
>>3615921
So only a fraction of the good ones then.
>>
I tried playing it a couple years ago but I was bored out of my mind most of the way through and dropped it at some point in the sewers when you're chasing after the Chaos hero. I like the mood of the game but It just isn't fun.

Also I know it's an older game but there is no excuse for how brain dead retarded, slow, and badly programmed the menu interface is.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.