[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How were the Alone in the Dark sequels?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: Alone_in_the_Dark_2_Coverart.png (168KB, 256x312px) Image search: [Google]
Alone_in_the_Dark_2_Coverart.png
168KB, 256x312px
How were the Alone in the Dark sequels?
>>
File: 10-Alone_in_the_Dark-1.jpg (97KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
10-Alone_in_the_Dark-1.jpg
97KB, 650x650px
>>3614112
I'd say New Nightmare is probably the best of the sequels, or at least I'd say to try it out first. Granted, it's more actiony, which might turn you off.
>>
>>3614119
this game is more like resident evil than any of the first 3 games
>>
Avoid the sequel which they tried to make an action shooter out of it. Third game is a really good entry though.
>>
The thing with 2 and 3 were that they were yearly sequels on the same engine.

2 tried to be a lot more action oriented with a focus on shoot outs, which worked terribly because the engine wasn't suited for it.
3 tries to make the combat less frustrating but also adds in some platforming that doesn't work.

>>3614148
Yeah, it's a broken disgrace, but that isn't retro so maybe we can just pretend it isn't exist.
>>
File: conceptart.jpg (65KB, 521x358px) Image search: [Google]
conceptart.jpg
65KB, 521x358px
>>3614119
I agree. The team that made 2 and 3 had no idea what made the first game work and went off the rails with them. New Nightmare took some cues from Resident Evil, but it's decent and aside from the modern day setting and Carnby's redesign it feels like a sensible way to continue the franchise. The 2008 game and Illumination are just awful.
>>
AitD2 isn't even survival horror anymore. There is no survival element and barely any horror element at all, it's to AitD 1 what Dino Crisis 2 is to DC1, except that even that AitD had done first.

Frédéric Raynal left during development because of the action orientation. You know, in a way I wonder if an atlernate universe in which he had staid would have led to Resident Evil before Resident Evil.
Although on a personal point of view, he made the right choice by leaving because that led to starting his own company, Little Big Adventure, a reward by the state for his work, and his current producer position.

3, Jack Is Back and A New Nightmare are good but flawed.
Make sure to play the PC versions, or the DC version of ANN. PS1/Saturn versions tend to have awful loading times.
>>
File: Page01.jpg (2MB, 1469x1803px) Image search: [Google]
Page01.jpg
2MB, 1469x1803px
If anyone is interested I have scanned and tranlasted into English the two Alone In The Dark comic books.

The first one is from 1994, inspired by AitD3.
AFAIK it was never officially translated into English. It's not a high quality book, but I find it very interesting the way it translates survival horror gameplay mechanics to another media, in a way to adaption of a survival horror game has ever done.

Download link:
http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/GYlyIhR7/file.html

The translation may seem bad at times, but trust the original writing just isn't good.
>>
File: Page00.jpg (769KB, 1392x2148px) Image search: [Google]
Page00.jpg
769KB, 1392x2148px
2nd one from 2001 called Life Is A Hideous Thing.
This one did get an official English translation and was published by Image in 2002. However, it is hard to find these days especially online so I made my own.

This one is a prequel to A New Nightmare and tells the story of when Aline Cedrac and Carnby first met.
Unlike the 1994 and like most survival horror adaptions, it doesn't try to be a 'survival horror book'. Instead the story is more like "Indiana Janes meet Cthuluh" and honestly it's quite good.

Download link:
http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/8IMhHcbn/file.html
>>
>>3614753

>ps1 has awful loading time

no it doesn't. I played it and didn't once notice the loading time.

anyway, it's a great game. there are so few good survival horror games in general, though.
>>
>>3614789

to add on to this, there are two major flaws in the game:

1) the 2nd half is too linear, any trace of backtracking is abandoned entirely
2) the fight with the flying library monster is glitchy as hell, the first time I couldn't even beat it despite having ample ammo
>>
>>3614119
New Nightmare is a seriously underrated game. So much good stuff in it.

The biggest thing is the atmosphere. It utterly kills Resident Evil 1 and 2 in this regard, and is pretty Lovecraftian to boot.
>>
>>3614789
Due to the way the lighting system works (the way you can lit dark backgrounds), every background is actually loaded twice (one dark, one lit).
In other words, every camera angle change takes twice as long as in Resident Evil.
The PS2 release, which I think just uses the way the PS2 can read PS1 games, actually managed to make it feel even worse.

But on PC, the transitions are seemless. GoG release most recommended.
>>
>>3614793
>any trace of backtracking is abandoned entirely
That is hardly a flaw.
>>
>>3614873
It is in a survival horror because it implies dumbed down adventure elements.
>>
Still have a huge pet peeve with the third game.

Was stuck on a part for months. This was before Internet and FAQs were mainstream.

Tried everything, got frustrated and started gunning the whole scenery out of frustration with my thompson-like machine-gun,

Then, when the bullets hit a door, someone says "knock knock" and the door opens. What the fuck, really?

Didn't help much, got permanently stuck on a really broken platforming section later and gave up.
>>
>>3614761
> If anyone is interested I have scanned and tranlasted into English the two Alone In The Dark comic books.

> The first one is from 1994, inspired by AitD3.
> AFAIK it was never officially translated into English. It's not a high quality book, but I find it very interesting the way it translates survival horror gameplay mechanics to another media, in a way to adaption of a survival horror game has ever done.

> Download link:
> http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/GYlyIhR7/file.html

> The translation may seem bad at times, but trust the original writing just isn't good.
>>3614762
Thanks!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.