[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What ultimately killed Sega? What is all the failed hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: 1439224961725.jpg (116KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439224961725.jpg
116KB, 640x480px
What ultimately killed Sega? What is all the failed hardware after the Genesis or was it the ridiculous development cost of Shenmue? I think if they never made Shenmue they would still be in the hardware business.
>>
>>3613410
>What ultimately killed Sega?

Long story short: literally themselves.
>>
>>3613410
Years after years of poor decisions
>>
Shenmue had nothing to do with it. The DC just wasn't making enough money on hardware sales. They had a hard time getting people to trust them with how poorly the Saturn was handled in the west. The combined competition of three other major consoles didn't help either.
>>
>>3613410
>32X
>Saturn failing in the west
>betraying developers' trust after killing off the Saturn too early
>Playstation 1-2
>>
>>3613410
>Sega CD
>32X
>The failure of the Saturn in the west
>Killing the Saturn after 3 years in the west
>Playstation dominating the market with their console that is compatible with DVD's
>The Xbox coming on the scene further driving a wedge between the old hardware with the computer like Xbox.
>And finally overdoing their only franchise to death.
>>
I guess losing a lot of money didn't help
>>
Death of arcades in North America.
>>
Even if Shenmue hadn't been made, the Dreamcast would've been fucked the moment the PS2 came out. Sega may have supported it longer and even attempted to make a next gen console in like 2005 a la Microsoft, but you just know they would have made retarded decisions and eventually killed themselves off because of it.

And by the way, didn't Sega bleed money once the Saturn came out because they had to sell them at such a loss? As far as I know, the DC didn't save them from nearly going bankrupt.
>>
>>3613410
32x
Saturn
Dreamcast
>>
PlayStation
>>
>>3613410
Selling Sega Saturn at a loss more than absolutely anything. Sony forced them into a suicidal price war.

Not long after Saturn's launch they matched price with the PS1 despite the Saturn being shitloads more expensive to manufacture. And that's despite the fact that Sony more than Sega could actually afford these kinds of losses.
>>
Jamie Kellner and Time Warner
>>
>>3613410
Poor business decisions by various CEOs. Including early release dates of the saturn which pissed off a number of devs who were unaware of the deadline change which was too early anyway, the 32x which was just a placeholder until the saturn arrived and seemed mostly just a waste of investment. And the dreamcast which had got buried among the ps2 and xbrick.
>>
File: Sega Image.png (1MB, 2472x1573px) Image search: [Google]
Sega Image.png
1MB, 2472x1573px
>>3613410
>>
>>3613410
pissing off retailers, who then refused to carry their shit killed sega
>>
>>3613410
The hate between Sega Japan and Sega Murrica.
>>
Bernie Stolar
>>
>>3613410
I wanna know why Sega made the Dremcast knowing full well that they were probably going to exit the console market?
>>
>>3614561
Because the Saturn was a failure and they needed something that could save them from the bankruptcy.
>>
>>3614597
If only Sega had made video game consumers have different tastes!
>>
>>3614597
>garbage starting with the N64 and PlayStation while most of the Saturn/DC library were actual fucking games

FUCKING KEK
>>
>>3614631
Nintendo and Sony began appealing to the non-gamers and young children that don't know shit about how gaming is supposed to be. And that stupidity evolved into what gaming is now: a huge clusterfuck loving shit games with bad controls, overblown story, and shit gameplay.

Their "tastes" were manufactured by a greedy gaming market lead by Sony and Nintendo trying to get non-gamers into gaming to make more money.
>>
>>3613458
I thought they already ceased production of dreamcasts before xbox came along.
>>
>>3613410

Short answer: hubris. Long answer: Sega of Japan and Sega of America fought over the steering wheel so much that they crashed into a tree.
>>
>>3614704

That's kind of why the Xbox was the unofficial Dreamcast 2. It's how they got games like Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF and Spikeout Battlestreet - several of which began life as Dreamcast exclusives.
>>
What Sega has done with its franchises over the years shows it deserved to die.
>>
Japanfag here. Sega is far from dead over here, but I know what you mean. Overall internal conflict between SoA (who knew what they were doing) and SoJ. SoJ took more control of SoA in the mid 90s much against Kalinske'a advice, ultimately leading to a unsuccessful Saturn campaign in the USA that they never recovered from.
>>
>>3614756
unrelated but assuming you are nihongo how's the retro game scene over there? I hear that you can get a decent amount of older games CIB for prices that aren't ridiculous as opposed to the $50 mario kart 64 carts people are paying for here in the west. Is that true or one big meme.
>>
>>3614597
>>3614659
Oh rose-tinted anusfag,where'll we be without you.and your constant historical revising?
>>
Same thing that's going to happen to Nintendo in a few years.
>>
>>3615019
They've been saying that shit since the n64. I'll believe it when I see it.
>>
>>3614659
>>3614597

Australia-kun, take the meds!
>>
>>3615045

think the only real moment where Nintendo could have died would have been in the gen 6. Now i doubt it will ever happen.
>>
>>3615019

>in a few years

Yeah sure, nintendo is doomed, etc etc.

Nintendo will outlive us all. They were around before us all, and they will be around when we all die.
>>
>>3614786
>nihongo
nihonjin surely?
>>
>>3613410
>What ultimately killed Sega?

Themselves. SOJ had no idea how to run a console company.
>>
>>3615139
>SOJ had no idea how to run a console company.

Saturn did fairly well in Japan, though.

What ultimately killed Sega in the console market was the entering of Sony into the competition.
>>
>>3615125
>before us all
Just how young are you, clown
>>
>>3615148
>Saturn did fairly well in Japan, though.

It had Virtua Fighter, which in Japan was more popular than Street Fighter 2.

And then later on they got Super Robot Wars and Sakura Taisen.
>>
>>3615604
Didn't know that 128 year olds went on this board...
>>
>>3615148
The difference between SoJ and Sony being that Sony was pretty ok with most sales being overseas, where as SoJ took it as a personal slight that taking the larger foreign market in to consideration made more money.
>>
>>3614704
They stopped production of the console, but games were still being made for it. There are actually a handful of games available on all four major sixth gen consoles.
>>
>Too many systems out at the same time
>CD and 32x both flopping
>Saturn flopping hardcore in the US
>Dreamcast did decently, but was dead in the water as soon as PS2 released

Basically they just had fuck-up after fuck-up and it just kept adding up.
>>
File: 2906827-9894439534-Shenm.jpg (25KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
2906827-9894439534-Shenm.jpg
25KB, 620x350px
What killed Sega?
Retard gaymers not realising the killer app that was shenmue
Thing was so in its own leauge it created a new gernre
That and phantasy star online
Shit man, they planned for 6billion players
The INTERNET
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8773CF84MpI

Face it man, the players killed Sega with their poor choice and plebbieness

Fucking gay GTA cod faggot shovelwear shiteaters

Dreamcast was too ahead of its time people couldnt understand

Only the good die young
>>
A little new kid on the block called Playstation
>>
>>3614709
This.

I still don't understand why they thought launching the Saturn with a gay jester instead of SONIC THE FUCKING HEDGEHOG was ever a good idea. Fuck Yuji Naka and his selfish ego. Why get so butthurt when your associates borrow your game engine? I hope whatever shitty company he works at currently goes bankrupt one day (Last I heard I think it was Prope). That shitty Rodea game of his not only took like 6 years to make but missed the Wii entirely and bombed anyways in reviews. Glorious keks to be had.
>>
>>3614786
Hello, japanfag again. This was greatly true about six years ago and prices for most games were between 100 to 2000 yen except sealed copies or rare collectible gold carts.

Recently a humongous turn out of foreigners caught onto this and have been going into Akiba'a hotspots and buying up all stock. It's shocking to see Super Potatos shelves completely empty. The result of this is that prices have been going up now...

Great deals can still be found in Rakuten, Nakano Broadway and Hard off/Book off in Yokohama. I found a AV Famicom for 3000 yen in the box before.
>>
>>3615126
No I'm American but I've been living and working here for about 6 years. I speak Japanese and English and been collecting games since I moved here.
>>
>>3615604
lololol cluelessfag didn't know there was nintendo before the famicom.
>>
>>3615604
>Calls >>3615125 a clown
>Doesn´t know nintendo has been around since 1889

kek
>>
>>3613410
They kept making new consoles, add-ons and competing with themselves. There are lots of good videos that explain this better.
>>
>>3613410

32x was terrible
Saturn was terrible

they dug themselves a ditch they couldn't get out of. Dreamcast was a success, but they couldn't keep it up and the PS2 steamrolled the dreamcast.

Also what in the hell were they thinking spending 60 million on Shenmue?

>>3613458
>Sega CD

People lump the 32x and SegaCD together since they're both MegaDrive addons. However, the CD was a modest success. Nothing amazing. It had a lack of game support so could be seen as disapointing from that angle. However it's not the fiasco that the 32X was.
>>
File: Untitled copy 2.jpg (41KB, 332x506px)
Untitled copy 2.jpg
41KB, 332x506px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQpx0vt6Sc
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.