[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

platformer/RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

What are some good RPG side scrollers (ones with experience, weapons etc)? I only know SotN and Monster World/Wonder Boy,
>>
Google Metroidvanias.
>>
Zeliard comes to mind. Haven't played it in ages though.
>>
>>3612376
faxanadu and legacy of the wizard
>>
Ys 3
Popful Mail
Sorcerian
Xanadu to some degree
>>
>>3612376
>>
>>3612529
>>3612504
>>3612438
Thank you.

>>3612430
Um… Isn't there only one retro metroidvania, SotN?
>>
Maple Story
>>
Tomba! isn't an RPG proper but it has some elements, including incremental upgrades, an inventory and (side)quests.
>>
>>3612780
There are dozens. 99% of them are average though.
>>
File: vrtbch.gif (147KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
vrtbch.gif
147KB, 500x386px
>>3612780
Metroidvania covers any exploration-based platformer I think, not only Metroid-type-Castlevanias. Even so, Simon's Quest would still count

>>3612376
Ufouria is a great entry level one (no exp or anything like that though)
>>
>>3612780
if you don't mind it not being retro...

you need to try "dust: an elysian tail"

one of the best imo.

valdis story as well.

rogue legacy is another popular title.

dust is my favorite among these three but all are indie and surprisingly polished. dust will surprise you with it's production quality all around.
>>
>>3612376
Zelda 2
Sword Master
>>
>>3612931
>rogue legacy
>>>/v/
>>
>>3612848
>>3612808
>Metroidvania covers any exploration-based platformer I think, not only Metroid-type-Castlevanias.
I guess so, and there are many of them. But conversely, there aren't that many ones with experience, equipment and so on—that's what I was asking for, an RPG but in the form of side scroller… One would think the formula would spawn more games.

>>3612931
There are tons of this indie shit today. "Metroidvania" has become such a widely spread term, indie shits unironically call their games that. What a bunch of manbabies. I don't want that crap, I want real games.
>>
File: kojima.jpg (21KB, 633x479px) Image search: [Google]
kojima.jpg
21KB, 633x479px
>>3612784
lol
>>
Dragon Buster
Getsu Fuma Den
Chakan
Gollvelius

>>3613874
There's enough of them actually, it's just that one retards call everything side-scrolling platformers and other think that ARPG is a Western genre created by Diablo, so it's hard to find a decent list of games like this.
>>
>>3614685
Dragon Buster arcade is so interesting, but damn those controls, oh well at least it's fairer than Tower of Druaga.
>>
>>3614685
Nice. Haven't heard about any of these, thanks
>>
>>3612376
Is exploration important for you? Or just any platformer with RPG elements?
Battle of Olympus
Mitsume ga Tooru

>>3612931
There is a reason he asked the question on a retro board.
>>
>>3615852
>Is exploration important for you? Or just any platformer with RPG elements?
Well it's good to have, but it's not necessary. I just wanted some side-scroller with leveling up and other RPG elements. Of course it'd be awesome if it had exploration too.

> Battle of Olympus
> Mitsume ga Tooru
Thanks, I'll check those. Never heard about these either
>>
TMNT and Hunter x Hunter by Konami on the Game Boy, but the later needs a translation or at least a guide to be playable.
Konami likes making licensed metroidvanias.
>>
>>3613534
>Sword Master
Kick Master
Magic Sword for Arcade and SNES

Maybe the Gargoyle's Quest series and ActRaiser 2. They don't feature weapons, but a lot of spells to choose from.
>>
File: briganty[1].jpg (222KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
briganty[1].jpg
222KB, 1024x768px
>>3612376
Briganty: The Roots Of Darkness
>>
Adventure Island 4 and Super Adventure Island 2
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/86/
>>
>>3618943
>Briganty: The Roots Of Darkness
I like the SD characters
>>
>>3621298
>Adventure Island 4
Wait… I beat it. How is it an RPG?
>>
>>3612376
popful mail
shantae
guacamelee
>>
>>3612376
Check out Magic Sword on the arcade, there are some RPG to it.
>>
File: cadash-10.png (33KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
cadash-10.png
33KB, 320x240px
Cadash for the arcade, its flaw is that it's short, is also available for Genesis (if I recall correctly it lacks Ninja and Priest) and Pc Engine.
>>
>>3623983
Thanks, I'll check it
>>
>>3623983
the sounds from that cabinet still play in my mind
>>
File: zeliard_15.gif (37KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
zeliard_15.gif
37KB, 640x400px
>>3612376
Don't want the thread to die.

OP, I played the Monster World series a bit. I actually just started Wonder Boy in Monster world on the Sega Genesis. The naming convention of the series is a bit weird. Hope that's the one to start with.

>>3612438
Played Zeliard on DOS. Was pretty tough, made it through the jungle maze. At this point I'd have to start over.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.