[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best shoot 'em up ever made, lads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 15

File: Radiant_silvergun.jpg (63KB, 256x250px) Image search: [Google]
Radiant_silvergun.jpg
63KB, 256x250px
Is this the best shoot 'em up ever made, lads?
>>
It's pretty damn good, but I dunno if it's the "best ever made". It would be on my top 10 for sure though.
>>
>>3609069
Not as good as Ikaruga.
>>
>>3609092
You mean Battle garegga.
>>
>>3609092
>>3609119

wtf I love /stgg/ now
>>
>>3609119
>You mean Battle garegga.

Battle Garegga is a fucking joke.
>>
>>3609127
why
>>
>>3609069
>Treasure game
>best anything
>>
>>3609069
Can anyone explain why does /vr/ hype Treasure so much? It was decent company, OK. But why not Capcom, Konami, whatever? Why does it have to be fucking Treasure?
>>
>>3609141
Because they're babby's first niche developer and normies pride themselves with that.
>>
>>3609141

Are you implying /vr/ doesn't hype the fuck out of Capcom and Konami?

>>3609149

Oh my, a true g4m3r with unique and patrician taste! Please, master, show me the way.
>>
>>3609150
>Are you implying /vr/ doesn't hype the fuck out of Capcom and Konami?
It does? Beside RE and Castlevania, I don't see anything close. No people praising Gradius Gaiden as the best SHMUP. No Megaman generals which go to bump limit.

Only on /vr/, Treausure are somehow considered maestros of game dev. It's like /vr/ was a Treasure fan site and was turned into a retro video game board only by mistake
>>
>>3609154

You might be obsessed with Treasure yourself.

They're a generally well liked dev, way before /vr/ was created.

Actually, only on /vr/ you see contrarians as deluded as the likes of you.

>people don't praise Gradius

lol
>>
File: dynamite headdy.gif (139KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
dynamite headdy.gif
139KB, 320x224px
>>3609141
They make games that push conventions of genres, with a level of technical expertise that makes the target hardware do effects bordering on wizardry.

Then the internet happened and everyone started jerking off to their renown. Actual retro gamers are so sick of this that they now consider Treasure games the Halo tier of retro gaming, hence "babies first retro game".

Yes, we know their games are great, we have discussed them all to death, and we did it 12 years ago. Can we talk about Battle Garegga or Gouketsuji Ichizoku Chotto Dake Saikyou Densetsu instead?

Incidentally, I'm going to save this post now because I remember saying the same thing at least 5 times now.
>>
>>3609164
On the contrary, I never gave much fuck about Treasure. I had Mega Drive, and Gunstar was good but nothing mindblowing really.

But here they are treated like total darlings. Did everyone here own Saturn/DC or something?
>>
>>3609176

>never gave much fuck about Treasure.

Are you sure?

>did everyone here own Saturn/DC

Well, I can only speak for myself but yeah, I did. Generally I was an idort so I had all the major consoles.
For other people, they could have played Treasure games though emulation, virtual console, XBLA, Steam, etc.

The thing with Treasure is that, at this point, people like you are way more obnoxious than the "treasure normie fanboy" boogeyman.

Mentioning Ikaruga/SRG on a shmup thread is an easy bait precisely because of people like you that get triggered the instant Treasure is mentioned. Contrarianism for the sake of being contrarian was a mistake.
>>
It's no Batsugun.
>>
>>3609175
OK I see. A case like Rare I guess? But isn't 2016 a bit too late for treasureposting? Did some e-celeb recently approve them or something?

> "treasure normie fanboy"
Normie? Not really, I'm pretty sure those posters have no life.

It's just constant unexplained fanboyism for a not-so-well-known company. It's as if someone discussed every day how Lunar 2 was the best game of all time and nothing ever came even close. Or if someone constantly hyped Fantasy Zone and said every other franchise paled before it. It just makes no sense.
>>
>>3609069
Well, it's my favorite.

Closely followed by Blazing Star, Axelay, and DoDonpachi.
>>
>>3609205
>I'm pretty sure those posters have no life.

projecting now?

>It's just constant unexplained fanboyism for a not-so-well-known company.

If you mean "ikaruga is the best shmup ever made", I already told you that's bait to trigger people like you.
Treasure are generally well liked, I'm not saying they're the best ever, but they did some good games. Why does it trigger you? Also, I demand proof that "/vr/ hypes Treasure every day".

More often than not, everytime someone mentions Treasure (just mention it, not saying it's "the best ever") there will be contrarians like you saying "Treasure is trash!".

I can give you plenty of examples like that digging on /vr/'s archives.
Can you provide examples of the supposed "Treasure fanboys" that say Treasure is the best and everything else pales before it?
>>
>>3609205
>Did some e-celeb recently approve them or something?

They constantly do. Whenever an e-celeb wants to make a popular video, they just regurgitate the same shit from Wikipedia about some topic. Treasure made great games fondly remembered for their unorthodox gameplay, so they are brought up pretty commonly.

The first time I remember e-celebs using Treasure games to make content was when Maddox made an article about Ikaruga; but granted at the time that was a rarity, since you did not have youtube, geek culture, or even the concept of "e-celeb", not to mention facebook or even myspace. I think you had Livejournal at most.
>>
>>3609248
>Also, I demand proof that "/vr/ hypes Treasure every day".
This thread is not enough?

> there will be contrarians like you saying "Treasure is trash!".
Did I ever say that? Never. I said I enjoyed a lot of their games, especially Alien Soldier. I have mostly only fond memories of the company, I liked many of their non-/vr/ titles too. In any case, I don't remember a single game from Treasure that was bad.

It's just the amount of Treasure fanboyism here is going a bit overboard.

> Can you provide examples of the supposed "Treasure fanboys" that say Treasure is the best and everything else pales before it?
How about this shit: >>3596506 /. The worst of /vr/ fanboys in one thread. Well, except for Nintendo of course.
>>
>>3609248
A topic saying something along the lines of "best shmup" with a picture of either Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga is started on /vr/ for the purpose of trolling, on a monthly basis at the minimum.
>>
>>3609250
>>3609251

Refer to this: >>3609248

>If you mean "ikaruga is the best shmup ever made", I already told you that's bait to trigger people like you.
It's not "Treasure fanboys" making these bait, it's just someone who figured out Treasure games trigger shmup spergs.

>It's just the amount of Treasure fanboyism here is going a bit overboard.

I don't see it. Again, most of the times Treasure is mentioned on this board is for baiting purposes (either "Ikaruga is best ever!" or "Treasure are overrated shit for normies!").

>The worst of /vr/ fanboys in one thread

Really? Nah.

>Well, except for Nintendo of course.

Both Nintendo and Sega have a legion of shitposters. Don't forget the Sonytards and PC mustards while you're at it.
>>
File: Border_Down_cover.jpg (30KB, 320x323px) Image search: [Google]
Border_Down_cover.jpg
30KB, 320x323px
I would marry this game if I had the ability to.
>>
Yes OP, and unlike the memelords posting ITT I've actually 1cc'd it.

>>3609141
>Can anyone explain why does /vr/ hype Treasure so much?
Because they're a flawless developer (at least in the '90s). Name one retro game by them that wasn't good.
>>
>>3609069
in 40 years of shoot 'em up games, Radiant is not even close to number.
>>
>>3609361
>i'm the only one who has 1cc'd anything
There's always one in these threads.
>>
How accessible is a Japanese copy of Guardian Heroes to an American with little to no knowledge of the language?
Like Radiant Silvergun/Bulk Slash, according to the /v/ recommended pasta sheet, or like Sakura Taisen?
>>
I think the best SHMUP is a Gradius, although I can't decide which one. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but of the couple dozen or so that I've put a decent amount of effort into, I'd say they're by far my favorite.

On a side note, can someone honestly please explain to me the appeal of Battle Garegga? I've played it a fair bit and my own assessment of the game is rather lukewarm. I think people like it because of its sophisticated scoring system but I've got to believe that there's more to it than that. I'm genuinely curious if someone wants to enlighten me.
>>
>>3609752
I'd say 2
>>
>>3609314
Best schmup story along with Einhänder and R Type final
>>
>>3609361
>Name one retro game by them that wasn't good.
Ikaruga
>>
>>3609835
Come on. I agree that ikaruga is overrated but it is not a bad game.
>>
>>3609838
I say more. Ikaruga one of great puzzle games.
>>
>>3609752
Gradius V is probably the most enjoyable shmup I've ever played.
>>
>>3609752
>the appeal
well to me, sounds good, plays well, looks great, music is awesome, and dynamic difficulty is fun to game.

>>3609805
Yeah I like the story of r-type up to final and beyond. Tactics really did bring to life how fucked being bydo'd is.
>>
>>3609802
>>3609890
I'm torn between 5 and 3, myself. I haven't played much of Gaiden, however, and I feel that that's a pretty significant omission.
>>
>>3609069
>lads
Fuck off back to /int/
>>
>>3609962
Bloody hell, why don't YOU go there, eh mate!
>>
File: feelsbadmoai.jpg (2MB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
feelsbadmoai.jpg
2MB, 1000x1500px
>>3609890
Gradius V... was a mistake.
>>
>>3609991
The lack of moai is literally the only single fault of Gradius V.
>>
File: guy.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
guy.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Literally /ourguy/
>>
>>3610873
Sure, if you're gay.
>>
>>3610873
Shinra is cooler.
>>
>>3610875

dat projection
>>
>>3609092
bait
>>
>>3609361
>>3609361
>treasure-baby thinking his opinion matters shit because of a barebones 1cc
lmao
>>
>>3609752
>On a side note, can someone honestly please explain to me the appeal of Battle Garegga?
-The music and presentation are fucking good
-The game is pretty fun to play even for survival alone, the second half is fucking intense.
-The scoring system is rather unorthodox for the time and focus on multitasking different things: medal chaining, destroying each enemy parts efficiently, bombing background scenery, milking some dangerous patterns in the bosses. Doing all these stuff in an harmonic way is quite fun.
-Different planes/bombs that play that allow for a variety of different approaches.
-Complex rank system that isn't hard to control on low level play, but tough as hell to optimize for high scorers.
>>
>>3612608
>I have no gaming accomplishments to speak of but I'll try to look cool by calling him a name
lmao!
>>
>>3612649
I have like 100 1ccs, calling RSG the best shmup ever just because you did a worthless 1cc is retarded, at least 1cc games from the important companies too if you don't want to sound like an uneducated retard.
>>
>>3609141
>Can anyone explain why does /vr/ hype Treasure so much?

It's like the exact opposite of that here though. This board gets incredibly anal ravaged whenever Treasure is brought up to the point where I think any thread declaring a game by them to be the best is just someone trying to stir shit up.
>>
>>3611789
dat denial
>>
>>3609838
Ikaruga is a fucking slog if you're actually trying to do more than just ogle the pretty graphics while playing with unlimited credits.
>>
>>3612765
Nice comeback.
>>
>>3612995
Nice butthurt.
>>
>>3612998

>y-you t-too
>>
>>3613000
>I-I a-am
>>
>>3613002

>please let me have the last word!

Fine, you can have it. Fag.
>>
>>3613003
>you can have the last word!

Fine, I'll have it. Fag.
>>
>>3609141

Because I love every single game of theirs I've played except for Guardian Super Heroes
>>
>>3613105
Sorry you have such shit taste anon
>>
>>3613105
Agree. Guardian Shit Heroes worst Treasures game.
>>
There was a thread where anti-treasurefags couldn't come up with a reason why they shit on the company, its games and its fans.

Good times.
>>
>tfw no Reana fanart
why even live?
>>
>>3613338
Only that never happened.
>>
>>3613461
Oh really?

https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3493923#p3499218
>>
>>3613338
>>3613471
Both are in the wrong there, Treasure-fags thinking Treasure is the second coming of Christ and anti-Treasurefags calling their games garbage. However it's always the Treasurefags that overrate the company so much here (as proved as this thread and that old thread), the contrarians are just a consequence of that.
>>
>>3609069
That's not a shoot em up, it's a fire and move
>>
>>3614191

There is definitely more anti-Treasurefags than actual Treasurefags.
Say you like 1 Treasure game, and you will have one of them jumping at you for liking Treasure's games accusing you of being a "Treasurefag".

The whole "Treasurefags are Nintendo fans" as that one anti-Treasure guy said on this archived thread >>3613471 is hilarious, since Treasure has many of their hits on Sega.
>>
>>3614208
>There is definitely more anti-Treasurefags than actual Treasurefags.
I haven't seen many "fuck Treasure" threads compared to the "WOW THIS IS THE BEST COMPANY EVER" threads, as proved before.
Again, people disliking Treasure-fags are just a consequence of that fake arrogancy.
>>
>>3614196
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3614213

>I haven't seen many "fuck Treasure" threads

Not threads maybe, but almost every time someone even mentions one Treasure game, there will be someone saying "Treasure is trash/garbage/shit/etc" in response.

>"WOW THIS IS THE BEST COMPANY EVER" threads, as proved before.

A lot of people like Treasure, but I don't remember threads or posts saying that Treasure is the best ever or acting like they're overrating them. Again, it's more the people who don't like Treasure who can't accept the fact people like their games, and since they can't come up with any reason to say they're bad games, they go for the "overrated" argument that barely has any substance anymore on internet discussions, it's another buzzword for "thing I don't like is bad".

I'll give you Ikaruga generates a lot of shitposting, with people posting (probably always the same anon) "This is the best shmup ever made" with a pic of Ikaruga, or RSG like in this very thread's case, but that's most likely bait for shmupfags who always sperg about Treasure and Ikaruga. But Treasure is more than just 2 shmups.
>>
>>3614213
Thanks for proving that Treasure haters only do it to be contrarian and don't have a legitimate reason for shitposting about the subject, then.
>>
>>3614240
The legitimate reason is the pretentiouness of its fans that most likely are clueless about the genres they discuss at, aside from Treasure games.
>>
>>3614232
>A lot of people like Treasure, but I don't remember threads or posts saying that Treasure is the best ever
This thread?, the thread you posted before? there is a pretty notorious Treasure obsession like they are the creme de la creme, even those silly Sega/Nintendo/Sony threads are full of muh treasure
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3388890
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3596506
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3245367
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3405732
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S1763082
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3519853
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3478394

We rarely have threads for awesome companies like Irem or Toaplan, which is why it's kind of annoying how short-sighted this obsession is.

>But Treasure is more than just 2 shmups.
A couple ok run 'n guns, a decent beat 'em up, and...? I'd say their better efforts are indeed their shoot 'em ups, and even there they really aren't better than the great games from other companies, the genre is full of awesome games.
>>
>>3614314
>We rarely have threads for awesome companies like Irem or Toaplan, which is why it's kind of annoying how short-sighted this obsession is.
Just browsed this from the front page. Usually I ignore Treasure threads for the reason you listed, m8. It's not that different from threads on /v/ about Cave or 2hu. Fans of a specific company that have loose knowledge of the rest of the genre. That said, no reason to rain on their own fun broseph. Just ignore them too.

Rest into pachinko Irem.
>>
>>3614314

You just proved me right.
The only thread out of these 7 threads you posted that actually started saying they're the best is the first link, all the other 6 are either neutral or outright bait ("Ikaruga is the best ever", etc).

>Toaplan

Exactly, these threads are made to bait shmup nerds like you, who hate on Treasure because they made Ikaruga.

>A couple ok run 'n guns, a decent beat 'em up, and...?

Check wikipedia, they did a lot of games, their shmup games are a small fraction of their works. But I know it bothers you how "normies" like Ikaruga so much, but the only one who remembers Truxton is Mark from CGR. Am I right?
>>
>>3614314
>We rarely have threads for awesome companies like Irem or Toaplan
Those companies aren't nearly as creative or interesting as Treasure.

>and...?
Rail shooters, vs. fighters, action-RPGs, platformers, sports...

Treasure is probably the most diverse niche Japanese developer, which is why they have many fans, along with the fact that all of their games are at least good, if not great. Nobody else can really compete.
>>
>>3614339
I don't hate Ikaruga nor RSG, it just amuses me how retarded treasure fans are m8, always circlejerking at the same old games rarely leaving their comfort zone.
>>
>>3614343
>Those companies aren't nearly as creative or interesting as Treasure.
See, Treasure fans are actually this retarded.
>>
>>3614343
>aren't nearly as creative or interesting
Jesus fucking Christ what the fuck did I just read right now. Who the fuck would ever make this statement.
>>
>>3614343
>Treasure is probably the most diverse niche Japanese developer
what is G.Rev
>>
>>3614349

You're just projecting some "treasure fan" boogeyman. Again, only 1 of the 7 threads you posted actually said Treasure was the "best ever" on the OP.

And if it's about circlejerking, shmup threads constantly circlejerk over Toaplan, Raizing, Cave, Takumi, Psikyo and others. In the end is just nerd e-penis competition.
You can't go around calling out people because they say they like Treasure games. Not every person who likes Treasure is a shmup fan. In fact I'd say Treasure gets more love for their side-scrollers than any of their shmups.
Yes, a lot of people like Ikaruga and RSG, and that upsets some groups of the shmup fandom, but whatever, at least have the decency to aim your mindless hate toward just those games and not Treasure as a whole.
>>
>>3614373
Not that guy but;
>cave
true.
>Toaplan, Takumi, Psikyo
No.
>Raizing
Who the fuck has even mentioned Raizing as a company Lately? It's either about Battle Garegga mentioned once or twice inside a thread and then never again.
Also:
>and other
What does this mean. People who talk about any shmup are circle-jerking?
>shmup threads
You mean this one or the last few that always end up railing off to talk about RSG or Ikaruga and GSH.
>>
>>3614373
>1 of the 7 threads you posted actually said Treasure was the "best ever" on the OP.
>taking the phrase literally ignoring the blatant Treasure obsession in those threads
holy shit you are really this obtuse

>And if it's about circlejerking, shmup threads constantly circlejerk over Toaplan, Raizing, Cave, Takumi, Psikyo and others.
That's actually a wide variety of companies compared to most simpleton Treasure fans. And the situation isn't much more different in Treasure games from other genres anyway.
>>
>>3609119
/thread
>>
Shit on Treasure all you want, but Suganami is one of the greatest developers of all time, if you hate Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Mischief Makers and Sin & Punishment, you simply hate having fun.
>>
>>3614390
Playing run 'n guns with life bars is never fun, surprising considering he nailed it on Contra 3.
>>
>>3614383

>No

Search Taoplan on /vr/'s archive and you will see lots of posts praising them as "The Gods of Shmups" and other ridiculous things like that. I mean, not saying they are bad, but yeah there are people who obsess over them.

>Battle Garegga mentioned once or twice inside a thread

You're kidding, Garegga is constantly mentioned and circlejerked over on shmup threads.

>People who talk about any shmup are circle-jerking?

The same could be asked about people who talk about any Treasure game. Are they circlejerking just because they say "I like Gunstar Heroes" or something?

>You mean this one or the last few that always end up railing off to talk about RSG or Ikaruga and GSH.

Yeah most shmup threads have Ikaruga/RSG OPs lately, but again I'm more inclined to think those are just trolls rather than actual "Treasure fanboys". Again, Treasure fans often talk about the non-shmup Treasure games. And people know Ikaruga triggers people on shmup, it never fails, so they keep using it to get (You)s, because it never fails.

>>3614384
>holy shit you are really this obtuse

No, I think you are, these threads have also lots of posts saying "Treasure is overrated!", while most of the positive posts just say they like their games a lot, but aren't saying they are the best evar as you imply.

>That's actually a wide variety of companies compared to most simpleton Treasure fans.

Well, each company have their own fanboys. Anyway I don't see how a person who likes Treasure (and not just their shmups) couldn't like Toaplan, Psikyo, etc. I like RSG and I also like Gunbird. Why fight and make devs into sports teams? It's even stupider when those games are in the same console.
>>
>>3614390
Gunstar Heroes is shit.
>>
>>3614405

>muh contrarianism

I mean, I don't mind if you don't like it, but stating it's "shit" only makes you look like a tryhard edgelord. It's a well liked game and generally agreed to be one of the best MD titles.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-12+at+10.56.03).png (125KB, 1904x1015px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-12+at+10.56.03).png
125KB, 1904x1015px
>>3614396
>search Taoplan on /vr/'s archive
I just did and you are full of shit.

>You're kidding, Garegga is constantly mentioned and circlejerked over on shmup threads.
Archive searched this too. You're still full of shit.

> Again, Treasure fans often talk about the non-shmup Treasure games.
And I dived through threads with the OP as treasure as well
Guess what you're full of.

Why even try to front? At the very least check the shit you pull out of your ass. Christ.
>>
>>3614396
Toaplan is nowhere near as discussed as Treasure lol, and they were undoubtedly more important to consolide vertical shooters.

>You're kidding, Garegga is constantly mentioned and circlejerked over on shmup threads.
Same as before, just rarely you see couple passionate guys talk about it on /vr/.

>Why fight and make devs into sports teams?
That's what Treasure fans do, I want people to discuss good games despite of their brand names (companies/consoles)
>>
>>3614412
>I just did and you are full of shit.

Haha, even Toaplan has its contrarian anti-Toaplan fags. But that only confirms Toaplan has its share of fanboys who "overrate" them, see:
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3452725#p3453505

>Gods of Shmups

I wasn't lying, anon.

>Archive searched this too. You're still full of shit.

I'm not gonna take your archive searches seriously now. But come on, Garegga is often mentioned on shmup threads, can't bullshit this.

>Why even try to front? At the very least check the shit you pull out of your ass. Christ.

Idem.

I won't convince you, but at least I'm not in a position of saying "Treasure is GOAT, Toaplan and others devs are SHIIITTTT", I actually like most of them, and I don't like every single Treasure game either. I'm not a fanboy of companies, I like games.

I didn't even care/know about who Treasure was back when I was a kid and played Gunstar, Mischief Makers or Dynamite Headdy, I only learned they were from the same dev later on.
RSG and Ikaruga I enjoyed but aren't among my favorite Treasure or shmup games.
>>
>>3614414
>Toaplan is nowhere near as discussed as Treasure lol

I wasn't saying they're more discussed, just that they also have their own cult devoted fanboys. And they're only discussed on shmup threads, Treasure only made 2 shmups.

>Same as before, just rarely you see couple passionate guys talk about it on /vr/.

Yet it is always mentioned to counter the "Ikaruga is da best" troll.

>That's what Treasure fans do

???

>I want people to discuss good games despite of their brand names (companies/consoles)

I agree with you 100% on this. But I don't get why you think Treasure fans are the ones dividing people.
>>
Do you guys ever get tired of being humongous mouth-breathing faggots?
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-12+at+11.06.53).png (12KB, 990x103px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-12+at+11.06.53).png
12KB, 990x103px
>>3614419
>But that only confirms Toaplan has its share of fanboys who "overrate" them, see:
See a jokepost? and treat it as fact
And wasn't your argument circle jerking? I'm sure that 0 reply post is the epiphany of circle jerking

> Garegga is often mentioned on shmup threads
The last threads saying things like
"Yeah the music is good"
"what's the big deal with it"
"hey you should try it"
With very few replies between the entirety of them.

meanwhile you can't search for treasure without falling over shit like this that people actually mean. Like fucking really?
>>
>>3609314
>>3609184
Those are both amazing games. Batsugun special edition is amazing.
Border down is great as well. Have you played metal black? It's the spiritual prequel
>>
>>3614435

We could be going back and forth with archive searches, but I'll just quote myself again:

>I won't convince you, but at least I'm not in a position of saying "Treasure is GOAT, Toaplan and others devs are SHIIITTTT", I actually like most of them, and I don't like every single Treasure game either. I'm not a fanboy of companies, I like games.

>I didn't even care/know about who Treasure was back when I was a kid and played Gunstar, Mischief Makers or Dynamite Headdy, I only learned they were from the same dev later on.
RSG and Ikaruga I enjoyed but aren't among my favorite Treasure or shmup games.

Keep hating on "Treasure fag" boogeyman if you want, but I think you're directing your hatred on the wrong niggas. Also you probably get trolled by the guy who always posts "ikaruga best shmup ever" (likely the OP of this thread, too). I'd bet there's at least a 50% chance that guy is actually anti-Treasure as well and just wants to start shit so that people like you shit on Treasure. I mean, I know it's ridiculous and extremely faggy, but falseflag like that is common on anonymous boards, and shmup threads have so much spergs that I wouldn't be surprised at all.
>>
>>3614439
I actually only discovered Border Down because of Metal Black when I was music searching more things Yasuhisa Watanabe composed for.
>>
>>3614425
>I wasn't saying they're more discussed, just that they also have their own cult devoted fanboys.
It's nowhere near as big or cringy as Treasure's case. Hell people rarely talk about Toaplan or Toaplan games here, be it negatively or possitively.

> But I don't get why you think Treasure fans are the ones dividing people.
Not necessarily dividing, but they seriously need to expand their horizons.
>>
>>3614445
>Keep hating on "Treasure fag" boogeyman if you want
Who said anything about a boogeymen. Your statements are as insignificant as people using the phrase "griping". Treasure fans are like Cave fans and 2hu fans. Few of the diehard ones have ever ventured outside of their limited ass comfort zones, so you have some people saying stupid shit like :

>>3614343
>Those companies aren't nearly as creative or interesting as Treasure

And while we could go back and forth you claiming that "Battle Garegga" get's circle jerked this hard or as hard as the average treasure pedestal worshipping is outright false.
>>
>>3614461
>It's nowhere near as big or cringy as Treasure's case

I dunno, the "Gods of Shmups" post was pretty cringy. But yeah they're not as discussed, but again, Treasure made different kind of games, not just shmups.

>but they seriously need to expand their horizons.

What makes you think Treasure fans don't?

Someone who likes Treasure for their sidescrollers doesn't need to care about shmup devs, also. Treasure's sidescrollers would be better being compared to games from companies like Konami or Capcom.

The whole Treasure VS Cave/Raizing/etc comes from Ikaruga/RSG, but Treasure is more than that.

So in that same line of thought, I think shmupfags need to expand their horizons instead, not everything is shmups.
>>
>>3614435
That post you screencapped isn't wrong, though. Just posting "TREASURE IS SHIIIIIT", "Ikaruga is overrated", and so on is shitposting and against the rules. The funny thing is, nobody in that thread could even come up with a valid reason, hell, even a flaw in any of Treasure's games. Shitposters deserve to get banned, simple as that.
>>
>>3614473

>who said anything about a boogeyman

>proceeds to claim Treasure fans don't leave their comfort zone, etc, etc

It's a boogeyman, not every person who likes Treasure is the same.
>>
>>3614446
Same here and his music is amazing, in general i love zuntata from the late 80s to late 90s. The weirdness always caught on with me reminded me alot of YMO.
>>
>>3614484
Are we about to do this thing where you attempt to argue semantics to stretch a definition to fit an argument? Actually you can if you want to. You win.
>>
>>3614479
>I dunno, the "Gods of Shmups" post was pretty cringy.
It's not too far from the true though, maybe "the father of vertical shmups" would be more accurate. The SNES shitting was unnecessary I'll give you that.

>What makes you think Treasure fans don't?
Nigga, I've read shit like "beat 'em ups are shit except for Guardian Heroes which is amazing", I've read also people shitting on all the PS1 library just because the N64 and Saturn have more Treasure games. if that's not Treasure fanboyism tell me what it's nigger
>>
>>3609069
Darius Gaiden is best
>>
>>3614489

I already ended my argument here: >>3614419

>I won't convince you, but at least I'm not in a position of saying "Treasure is GOAT, Toaplan and others devs are SHIIITTTT", I actually like most of them, and I don't like every single Treasure game either. I'm not a fanboy of companies, I like games.

You're the one insisting that Treasurefags are this or that. I'm not shitting on Toaplan fans or their games.

>>3614487

I know what you mean, I also like the soundtrack because of that, and YMO are awesome.
>>
File: kotetsu.jpg (50KB, 512x680px) Image search: [Google]
kotetsu.jpg
50KB, 512x680px
>>3614494
Darius Gaiden only wishes it could be as complex and epic as Radiant Silvergun.
>>
>>3614487
Ray'z Premium Box was solid gold for me when I finally got my hands on it. I probably have purchased everything they put out, especially the rare selections and the live 97 and 98 performances. Used to throw Metal Black - The First on and use that to lull me off to sleep.
SOME of Darius Burst: Another Chronicle is great but it definitely isn't the signature Zuntata sound I'm used to. Like it anyways.

Shmups in general always have kicking tunes to go shoot shit up while listening to. Actually while I have played an extreme number I think I'm a pretty casual fan. For example I love Salamander 2 because the musics awesome as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ol6-U5k_I

I like R-Type Final and Ikaruga less than that because they don't sound that good to me. The former because R-Type Delta music was so good and you had shit like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL6vphbc6IE which just FIT and it felt great playing that stage. I mean just LOOK at it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAbcwxqLb_s

Ikaruga never clicked to me with tunes. Which sucks because I do like how it plays but since it doesn't "sound" that great to me I never got the appeal.

My entire library of favorites is eschewed because of that with Border Down being my absolute favorite because it hits on everything for me;
-Awesome Soundtrack
-Neat story
-Endings that are the typical "and everybody lived happily ever after"
-3 borders, dynamic difficulty, and difficulty settings
-and to top it off it has a remix mode
So while continuing fucking sucks and dying sucks because you want to stay on your designated border, it never felt like the end of the world. And as I said before it sounds great
>>
>>3614516
>endings that are not the typical
>>
>>3614492
>Nigga, I've read shit like "beat 'em ups are shit except for Guardian Heroes which is amazing"

I would take beat 'em up posts with a grain of salt. Much like shmup threads, beat 'em up ones are full of trolls and bait.

>I've read also people shitting on all the PS1 library just because the N64 and Saturn have more Treasure games

Console war shtposting.

>if that's not Treasure fanboyism tell me what it's nigger

It could be Treasure fanboyism, yes, but that doesn't mean every single Treasure fan is like that.
It could also be false-flag, it's not hard to figure out Treasure triggers a lot of people very easily. I mean look at this thread.
>>
>>3614492
>"beat 'em ups are shit except for Guardian Heroes which is amazing",
Never seen this before on /vr/, in fact, most beat 'em up fans shit on Guardian Heroes. Care to link an archived post?
>>
>>3614516
I've watched some of those performances on youtube, and they're really out there which I love.

Also Agreed Border Down remix mode imo is better than the arcade. Even tho im awful at the game still doesn't stop me from playing.
>>
>>3614519
Oh so you are telling me that Treasure fans instigate beat 'em up shitposting and console wars shitposting, good to know. And Treasure triggers /vr/ for a reason, many of the fans are fucking awful and uneducated.

>>3614524
can't find it, but here is a bonus, these spergs are abundant after all
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3347762#p3347858
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S2648349#p2649665
>>
Be Praying.
Be Praying.
Be Praying.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvweYHsYhE
>>
anti-treasurefags BTFO
>>
>>3614594
>Oh so you are telling me that Treasure fans instigate beat 'em up shitposting and console wars shitposting

On the contrary, I'm telling you that beat 'em up (and shmup as well) threads are full of shitposting, mainly because many people who claim to be hardcore fans of these genres are some of the most obnoxious poser "hardcore gamers" who always try to one-up everyone else with niche games/developers, so they hate treasure for being (in their own words) "babby's first niche developer" or something along those lines.
The treasure shitposting is part of the shitposting that happens on those threads.

Console war shitposting I don't think that even needs explanation. People use anything as ammo for these shitposts. In fact I already posted that other console war shitpost from a toaplan fanboy (supposedly), so in the same line of thought, you could argue toaplan fanboys also push console war faggotry, but it's actually just shitposters bringing up developers as ammunition, I don't think you can call them actual fans or fanboys of the devs.

>And Treasure triggers /vr/ for a reason

Wait, I never said Treasure triggers /vr/, Treasure is generally well liked around here. It triggers a certain portion of the shmup general posters, as I said before, the ones who hate Ikaruga for being popular among "normies".
>>
>>3615305
Well yeah, this site is full of shitposting at this point. But then again I'm sure at least some of those posts were sincere, thus for me both the pretentious fans and the antifans are part of the problem. if you like Treasure that's fine, just don't get too crazy about it.
>>
>>3609069
No it's shit. Slow and boring and levelup mechanic sucks.

Cave shmups are best.

>>3609127
>Battle Garegga is a fucking joke.
Great music though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aDE6rVxELE
>>
>>3615438
holy shit I thought Namiki stealing detroit techno was a joke
>>
>>3615438
>Slow and boring
Sucks to have ADHD.

>and levelup mechanic sucks.
Because you're too shit to play for score?
>>
>>3615450
>Because you're too shit to play for score?
I haven't even 1cced it. But that's completely irrelevant because good shmups are fun even if you're only playing for survival.
>>
>>3615438
End yourself
>>
Silvergun has some of the best boss designs in any shooting game desu.
>>
>>3615579
>there are people who actually believe this
Listen they're not bad but come on senpai "best" is a touch much.
>>
>>3615438
R-type delta similarly has great music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOgz8kM1VDg
>>
File: image.png (138KB, 600x721px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
138KB, 600x721px
>>3615587
What shmups would you say have better boss fights?
>>
>>3615673
Out of what I've played recently? I don't think I could answer that without bias showing it's ugly head
>>
>>3614663
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpJymMVILM
>>
pc port never ever.
>>
>>3609069
BOSS XIGA is the most incredible and intense final fight in video game history.
>>
>>3616060
Just use SSF.
>>
File: 398057-thunder_force_iii_11.gif (19KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
398057-thunder_force_iii_11.gif
19KB, 320x224px
>>3609069
I like Thunder Force III. Nice graphics/music, great power-ups, solid level design; overall just a simple, but high-quality no-frills shmup. It's a bit on the easy side, but if you can get past that then there's much enjoyment to be had with this game.
>>
>>3616567
>BOSS XIGA
Arguable. I would say it's one of the prettiest.
>>
>>3615440
Not just him tbf, yuzo koshiro liked to do it aswell.
>>
File: Ikaruga last boss.png (457KB, 461x636px) Image search: [Google]
Ikaruga last boss.png
457KB, 461x636px
>>3616567
Honestly Xiga is just your average boss, though he is well animated.

The most intense shmup boss would have to be this thing from Ikaruga. It builds up literally like a huge orgasm.
>>
>>3617651
The part of the boss that plays like a rhythm game is your favourite? Meh.
>>
>>3617667
You still have to dodge a shit load of bullets though, and it speeds up in such a pace that it finishes EXACTLY when you can't take anymore.

It's also an extremely simple pattern, and yet also made incredibly complex by its simplicity, which is the magic of the entire game.
>>
>>3609069
Not as good as Galaga
>>
>>3617337
s' just ultraman.
>>
>>3617651
I find Gluon to pretty intense once you start getting good at this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2SNX7k4v8
>>
Be attitude for gains.
>>
>>3619590
I'm sorry, I forgot that mentioning Ikaruga in any way will trigger /vr/ something fierce.

Did I mention how great music the game has?
>>
>>3619595
Just report him, anon.
>>
>>3610873
What was the point of this character?
>>
>>3619979
He's your bro who sacrifices himself to stop the Stone-Like.
>>
is it too much to say that this is one of the best works of sakimoto? even if it's heavy on leifmotivs, it never felt tiresome.
>>
>>3620039
leitmotifs are great when done well. Think Hamauzu and SaGa Frontier 2. This soundtrack is pretty good and for that reason is pretty much inseparable from the game. That being the case, I don't think it's great overall as music for a shoot 'em up.
>>
File: Lent_out_SS_Silhouette_Mirage.jpg (624KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Lent_out_SS_Silhouette_Mirage.jpg
624KB, 2592x1944px
You guys make me feel bad for enjoying Treasure games. As for Radiant Silvergun, it is pretty good, but I cannot say if it is the best ever made. Then again, it is hard for me to tell what is best since I like so much in the shooting game genre for so many various reasons.

Radiant Silvergun, I like for it pushing the limits of the Saturn/ST-V hardware and its pretty outstanding soundtrack. The added story was silly and interesting. Having all the weapons matched to ABC buttons and combinations of those three buttons is pretty interesting, but made it such that I cannot play the game without a controller in the style of a Saturn controller. The leveling of the 3 weapons doesn't scale well with the game, and I did primarily use the B+C weapon for the majority of the game. I do think Ikaruga did refine the scoring/combo mechanic, because it is too strange to leave enemies to go away or self destruct.

I also like games from many other developers too ...
>>
>>3621280
>You guys make me feel bad for enjoying Treasure games

Who, the 1 or 2 shmup fags that do the treasurefag boogeymen shitposting?

Don't worry, nothing wrong with enjoying good vidya.
You should get the US version of Omega Factor.
>>
>>3621280
>You guys make me feel bad for enjoying Treasure games
There's nothing wrong with enjoying treasure games. This entire shitshow was flung because of treasure-fans supposed lack of gaming diversity. This is mostly a result of popularity. Fans of anything are a lot more vocal when the games are popular, therefore more discussion happens involving them. It's the same thing with Cave. You're less likely to see a thread pop up about Ray;force/storm/crisis or R-Type Leo then you are about Treasure, Battle Garegga, and Cave.

In regards to scoring, anything that isn't Battle Garegga tier unthoughtful levels of retardation feels alright. But I don't exactly fine it's the best thing ever. But scoring and your preference is wholly opinion. Border Down scratches every single itch I could ever have in regards to wanting to up my score. Play well, the game gets harder and gives you more bullets to increase your score. Love it. People love all types of scoring systems. Battle Garegga fans love hardcore masochism.

>I also like games from many other developers too ...
This is the "As a fan of x I can say that y sucks" equivalent. I mean this as politely as possible. If we were going to use the phrase "like equally" I'm 90% confident that any statement that starts or ends that way is false as fuck.

For example, I love artwork by Akihiko Yoshida. I certainly "like" other artists but not as much as him.

Anyways don't feel bad for enjoying fuck-all. Feel bad only if you only enjoy a small amount of fuck-all. It's not like Castlevania where the series is limited to the games in the series. There's a fuckton of shmups out there.
that we never got over here. All I wanted way to play senko no ronde duo when it was popular but deployment wouldn't let me
>>
>>3621508
>In regards to scoring, anything that isn't Battle Garegga tier unthoughtful levels of retardation feels alright.
>Battle Garegga fans love hardcore masochism.
There is nothing wrong with garegga scoring, well except for the boring harmless boss milking but that's it. The game is really hard at high level scoring but so are most important games in the genres.
>>
>>3621539
>really hard at high level scoring
You and I both know that is a crazy understatement.
>>
>>3621541
But anon tell me what shmup isn't very difficult at a high level? Kamui's WR in Garegga is just as crazy as a world record in Ketsui, DDP or Gunbird 2
>>
>>3621547
They're all difficult. Nobody is saying they aren't. the way you achieve them is completely different. I guess this is a problem with comparing apples to oranges. Or like comparing that to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2SNX7k4v8
>>
>>3621280
nice collection anon
>>
fuck treasure and fuck shooting games
>>
File: gb_supermarioland.jpg (1MB, 1537x1367px) Image search: [Google]
gb_supermarioland.jpg
1MB, 1537x1367px
>>3609069
*akham*
>>
So which one is better, Ikaruga or RS?
>>
>>3622769
That horrifying, bloodcurdling noise the bosses make when you shoot them.

"EAAH" "EAAH" "EAAH"
>>
>>3623608
Iky if you want a casual shooting experience.

Silvergun if you wanna go full autism.
>>
>>3609069
Keep your glorified turd por favor.
>>
>>3624621

wtf I hate radiant silvergun now
>>
>>3622769
grow up kid
>>
>>3623608
RS.
>>
>>3609069
Is Metal Slug acceptable here?
>>
>>3626901
No.
>>
>>3626901
Aren't Contra/Metal Slug games considered run n guns instead of shmups?
>>
File: raidendx.png (317KB, 706x866px) Image search: [Google]
raidendx.png
317KB, 706x866px
So I finally understand what Raiden DX is and what the 3 courses are. Training course looks fun and Novice course is basically Raiden II's 1-5 which will be more manageable to 1CC for myself. Playing it on hardware with component and TATE resolution. Looks awesome.
>>
>>3609069
It's probably the best in theory, meaning it's the most "polished" and "well designed", but I'd still put several others above it in sheer fun factor.
>>
Is Treasure dead?
>>
>>3629743

They still exist as a company, but haven't made a new game since gaist crusher 2 on 3DS a couple years ago.

Treasure members still work on different projects separately, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that sometime some publisher fund them to make a new game and, depending on the budget, they could come up with something as good as Sin and Punishment 2 from 2010.
>>
>>3629743
According to an insider on /vr/, they only exist as a PO box and phone number nowadays...

RIP.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.