[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ripping graphics, sounds and such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: CVSCV4_Boss_01_Rowain.gif (16KB, 577x313px) Image search: [Google]
CVSCV4_Boss_01_Rowain.gif
16KB, 577x313px
So, what's the best way to rip assets like graphics and such from old PC games?

I would like to rip these images used in the Quarantine intro. I'm guessing they are just images that the game shows? But how should i do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJ7pXa-NK0

Also in a similar way, i would like to rip sound effect from an old amiga game. Recommendation on how to do that?
>>
>>3607878
Screenshot them. If you're using an emulator, you can pause emulation at the right moment/frame. (And since Quarantine was relased on DOS, you could use DosBox to do that). Similarly, DosBox has a dedicated screenshot key.
This is literally it. People ripping sprites additionally proceed to put their screenshots into photo editors, and then remove background pixel by pixel. Which is why you see all these 'please credit me if used!' on old spritesheets - because it takes some work.
As for ripping sound, I have no idea - I imagine it'd be possible to e.g. disable music and put audio output to a recording device, or something like that - or perhaps scour raw game data for actual audio files. I'd imagine specific techniques would vary depending on what's easier for each platform.
>>
>>3607929
If that's the case then how do people find and rip unused sprite animations?
>>
>>3607929
I'm guessing this raw data scouring is the exact thing that i'm looking for. I mean, if those graphics are as images, guess there should be a way to pick them up from the data?
>>
>>3607935
Well, it's also possible to rip sprites straight from roms/game data - exact process will change depending on console, and game in question.
I don't really have much knowledge about that, but it's pretty labour-intensive - which is why screenshot method is preferred if possible, as it's faster (because e.g. early console games cut sprites into smaller, usually 8x8 chunks that don't have their correct colors as color palette is stored elsewhere - so reconstrucing all that was a headache).

But yeah, for these intro images, DosBox' pause and screenshot functions, perhaps also controlling speed of emulation to make things run at a pace easier to realize, is probably the fastest solution.
>>
>>3607949
Yeah, but process varies from game to game. E.g. Doom uses file format called 'WAD" to store asset data, and so do other games on Doom engine - but other games will do whatever programmer came up with as his personal choice. And I have no fucking idea how they're stored in Quarantine 2 specifically. You may try to see if there is any community dedicated to the game? Perhaps you could find help there.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.