[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some bad trends in more modern games that we either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: crazy taxi kfc.jpg (30KB, 634x389px) Image search: [Google]
crazy taxi kfc.jpg
30KB, 634x389px
What are some bad trends in more modern games that we either liked or didn't care about when they were in /vr/ games? I'll start:

>in-game advertising
>>
YA YA YA YA YA
>>
DAY AFTER DAY
>>
YOUR HOME LIFE'S A WRECK
>>
>>3606335

>regenerating shields/health
>QTEs
>lengthy cinematic cutscenes
>"open world"
>>
>>3606335

Advertising, Free to Play, Pay to Win.
Going to a game shop and buying a boxed game with manuals and posters is not the same as downloading from steam. Games have become generic crap that have lost all of the charm they once had, with a few exceptions.
>>
THEEEEEM AAAAAND US
>>
TEN IN TWENTY TEN
>>
>>3606335
The in game advertising was actually a good trend in games. As silly as it sounds, it makes games look more realistic to have real-life places mentioned in them.
>>
>>3607896
Agreed.
>>
File: coke.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
coke.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>3606335

Look advertising is generally kind of harmless if it doesn't intrude on gameplay. These products and places exist in real life so it's not weird to see them in game worlds. Parasite Eve 2 had Coke every but it really isn't weird to see a coke in a store, or a machine in a mall.

The problem with advertising lies when content is cut out of the game while a huge store button is there to coerces people into spending money on top of the money they spent to get the game
>>
>>3607896
Also agreed. They can put a banner on every corner, I don't mind. Also, imagine seeing those if you replay the game 20 years later. Nostalgia.
>>
>>3607896
>>3607898
If they do it at all they have to go for broke, because done well I find it really neat.

Yakuza games are really great about product placement because they'll get literally dozens of business and brands and it does wonders for immersion and belivability in a game. Being able to walk into a 7/11 and see nothing but real products on the shelves in a videogame is cool as hell

When they do shit like "McHappies", "DFC" and "Subwayâ„¢" then it's just stupid.

>>3607902
Intrusiveness is pretty important too. Driving past a KFC or picking up a can of coke in a videogame can be done without it feeling like a commercial, as modern games tend to do a lot.

Fucking uncharted, god damn
>>
File: 1478525115685.jpg (107KB, 503x376px) Image search: [Google]
1478525115685.jpg
107KB, 503x376px
Political correctness. Back in the days it was just the old ultra conservative mummies who were talking how violence in vidya will turn kids into school shooters, and we all would just laugh laugh laugh because it was just so pants-on-head retarded and obviously not true.

Nowadays the same rhetoric is stronger than ever, and this time it's the people working inside the business doing the shit talking, and you can't even brush them aside as ignorant outsiders because they're "one of us gamers". You have writers who are against freedom of speech, publishers who will demand censorship, translators who push their own political agenda in the translations, reviewers who think they are some high culture critics and will treat any pretentious crap like it's some new level of art, professional victims who make their whole living of crying oppresshun etc.

It's fucking retarded. It was retarded back then, and it's even more retarded now.
>>
>>3608040
>Portal 2

why is that there? because it was hip?
>>
>>3608109
Maybe he meant Postal 2, though your theory sounds more likely.
>>
>>3608109
That sandy hook killer played all of those games, the cartoonist probably just copied the titles on the boxes without doing any research.
>>
File: LHX_Attack_Chopper_title.png (2KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
LHX_Attack_Chopper_title.png
2KB, 640x400px
>>3606335
EA
/thread
>>
>>3608161
EA actually had vaguely good stuff back in the day.
They were always a shitty company regarding business practices, but they weren't some kind of black mark to watch out for if you were buying games back then.

on another note, I wish the Genesis port of LHX didn't run like garbage
at least you can run the PC version at ridiculous clockspeeds and have it be buttery smooth
>>
File: turt5.gif (116KB, 511x453px) Image search: [Google]
turt5.gif
116KB, 511x453px
The first time I saw product placement in a game 25 years ago I thought it was neat
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.