[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best tv for retro games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: CRT+NTSC-RGB-400%.png (85KB, 880x668px) Image search: [Google]
CRT+NTSC-RGB-400%.png
85KB, 880x668px
best tv for retro games
>>
>>3604340

whatever 27" sony you can find on the curb
>>
>horizontal lines
I pity the plebs
>>
>>3604340
The one you build yourself
>>
subjective question
>>
Consumer CRT, with component input that isn't flat screen. Also, stay away from HD CRTs. Look in Kijiji, you will find one for free. Never get one bigger than 27 inches cause fuckkkkkkk a behemoth that big.
>>
>>3604525

A

FUCKING

LEAF
>>
>>3604371
>not playing games in native resolution
I pity the plebs
>>
Any consumer TV you can find that works and has inputs for the systems you're trying to connect to it.
>>
>>3604637
>implying you can't do that on superior vertical lines
oh what plebiltry are we gonna here today
>>
is there a difference between plugging in component or S video?

I have several video cards with s video out, I'd like an emulation machine to connect to be my tv
>>
>>3604873
Component is better. S-Video is okay, but you'll get noticeable artifacts and/or bleeding colors.

Video split between 3 signals vs 2.
>>
>>3604873
Remember if you're using the dedicated TV out on these things you'll only be able to do 480i, not 240p. So its not the most ideal solution.
>>
I have a nice sanyo flatscreen, which is also the same one avgn uses.
>>
>>3604880
>>3604898
I have absolutely no idea what to look for in terms of signal, resolution, or even format. I just know what a VGA is, red white yellow cables are, and various doohickeys.

I have read that I cannot simply splice a VGA cable straight to component, different signals that some devices won't be able to read.

What exactly am I trying to accomplish when connecting to a CRT? I mean, what is ideal? I want to somehow connect a PC to my CRT except I have no graphics card that has a component out.

What is the best way to do this? Because, one day I'll skip all this for flashcarts and real hardware, but the novelty of having an emulating CRT PC tickles my fancy
>>
>>3604926
If you have cards with s-video output already then just test it out and see if its good enough for you. Some of them might even support component with a dongle, the 7-pin connector on my geforce 7800gs does.
>>
>>3604926
you need a few doodads

A hd5450 or 6450 whatever you can find cheaper
A UMSA scart adapter and a scart to comonent transcoder

flash the card with atom-15 and use crt-emudriver 2.0. You will now boot and operate in 240p RGB off that gpu.
>>
File: 3027892522_1b2c8d95be.jpg (45KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
3027892522_1b2c8d95be.jpg
45KB, 500x333px
These are aesthetic as fuck, but they're expensive. I have one, and its really not that great, but it looks cool.
>>
>>3604959
what is it
>>
>>3604926
if yer a newb then give up now. buy a consumer crt for consoles and a pc crt for emulation

you wanna connect your pc to a consumer television you're in for a whole lotta reading
>>
>>3604960
Commodore 1701 or 1702. They're pretty much the same. I think mine is the 1702.
>>
>>3604932
>>3604954
>>3604963
how deep does this rabbit hole go?

looking at my inventory, I have a R7000L-64TC , V1.0

googling shows me people installing atom-15 on lots of things, 7750, 7770, mines just looks like 7000

I have an x800, too

do the 5450 and 6450 have more support or what?
>>
All you need is a fucking tube TV that turns on and displays an image

If you're looking to "LOL SUPERCHARGE" your retro vidya picture you're a retard that cares more about being a show-off than you do about games.

The connection doesn't fucking matter when you're going to be sitting a fair distance away from your TV to play video games.
>>
>>3605024
No they are $10-20 new and pci powered if someone doesn't have a compatible card. It's only needed to do the resolution, the cpu does the workload emulating retro stuff so gpu strength is pretty irrelevant.
>>
>>3604525
What's wrong with flat screen CRTs? Is the picture quality worse for some reason?
>>
>>3605024
if you don't care about it being 480i, buy a chink vga to video converter. it's probably the most hassle-free solution.
i use a 7$ one, don't really have any problems becouse emulator scales it to 480i and i rarely play pc games that are less than 640x480.
>>
>>3604871
>I enjoy watching my character struggle against illusional vertical walls instead of comfily flowing from left to right smoothly on delicious horizontal lines
>>
>>3604340
that looks like shit
>>
File: DSCN0746.jpg (494KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0746.jpg
494KB, 1200x1600px
The biggest one you can find.
>>
>>3605423
>I'm such a pleb I can't surpass my own limits with every action and need a visual guide
>>
>>3605381

CRT TVs have distorted geometry which is very noticeable when playing 2d games. Curved screens mask this distortion, but on flat screens, you will clearly see shapes distort as they scroll across the screen.
>>
>>3604871
>vertical lines

Absolutely retarded.
>>
>>3605953
Dude, that's just shit linearity. On very old fish bowl sets, yes, this can be unfixable without knowing how to physically service your set.

But no one uses TVs that old anymore, and this obviously does not apply to consumer flat screen crts.

So if the tv has a remote, use it to get into the service menu and see what options you have to maybe fix that shit. I have done this with a few now. It isn't hard, but it helps a lot to have either a test suite or a calibration dvd.
>>
File: P10706810.jpg (533KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P10706810.jpg
533KB, 2000x1500px
>>3604340
This one is pretty much perfect for me.
>>
>>3606525

That'd the nature of the beast when it comes to old CRTs. Sure they can be tweaked via the service menu, but it can't be fixed perfectly.
>>
>>3606271
>horizontal lines

Absolutely retarded.
>>
>>3604340
Any non-aperture grille component/rgb CRT. Around 20" is ideal. The bigger they are the more geometry/convergance problems.
>>
>>3607081
forgot to say CONSUMER crt not a fucking studio broadcast meme box.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.