[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cave Story Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: sega-addicts-cave-story.png (105KB, 475x275px) Image search: [Google]
sega-addicts-cave-story.png
105KB, 475x275px
Is it still the best retro-style indie game?

Since there's a Dreamcast version, we can discuss it here on /vr/, by the way.
>>
The Dreamcast port has really glitchy sound, the Genesis version isn't finished yet but once it is I'd sooner recommend that one.
>>
>>3599804
Game sucks tho. Serious, I would recommend 100 indie or non indie "retro-style" games before this one.
>>
>>3599998
Yeah? You want to give me a few? I'll snag them up. If they are better than CS, I'll definitely enjoy them.

>>3599804
It is definitely amazing for a freeware game. I probably prefer Shovel Knight gameplay wise though.
>>
I still get triggered when people call Cave Story a Metroidvania. I love the game but there's very little exploration grabted with items and abilities, which is the most important part of the metroidvania style.

La Mulana on the other hand...
>>
>>3600032
I get triggered by the term Metroidvania itself. Metroid completely developed the formula by itself. Why does Castlevania get to claim credit too?
>>
>>3600037
They started using the formula successfully on the PS1 and GBA, while Metroid stopped having games.

>>3600032
Eh, it is pretty linear looking back but the idea of platforming levels being quarantined by items and abilities is still there.
>>
>>3600042
>They started using the formula successfully
Should we start saying rogue-nethack like
>>
>>3600047
No.
1) That sounds stupid as hell
2) That comparison is stupid. There have been 7 of these so-called "metroidvanias" shit out by Konami.
In comparison there have been 2(!) 2D metroid games.
3) It was mostly a term used to describe metroid-style castlevania games that then got bleached into mainstream and has since attached itself to any metroid-style game like a gigantic tumor

Just swallow your spit and get over it man. I already have.
>>
>>3600037
I think when the term was first used, it was meant to describe a Castlevania in the style of a Metroid game. Only in recent times has it come to mean item-based exploration games in general.
>>
>>3600037
That always bugged me as well.
>>
>>3600037
This

I use metroid-like. Capcom jews try to force their advertisements into fucking everything. It's even worse when you're talking about Link's Awakening, and someone has to bring up the pleb-tier oracle games no one cares about like they're equals.

Capcom is scum, and if I saw one of their advertising niggers I'd kill him.
>>
You're forgetting the best and most /vr/ version, OP. https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md
>>
>>3600063
Its fuckin retarded
>>
>>3600037
>tfw for the longest time I used "like Blaster Master", without even knowing the existence of Metroid or Castlevania
>>
>>3600059
>In comparison there have been 2(!) 2D metroid games.
Metroid, Metroid II Return of Samus, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion
>>
Curly is my waifu
>>
>>3600037
To me metroidvania is a combat focused action-RPG with exploration, like Symphony of the Night. That game added the RPG elements to Metroid's exploration. But to most people metroidvania=metroid-like.

>>3600032
>I still get triggered when people call Cave Story a Metroidvania
And even when you explain it to the fan boys, the just don't want to listen. I mean, ofcourse the game was influenced by Metroid, but it's still very different.
>>
>>3600079
Wtf are you on about? Capcom produced neither.
>>
File: screenshot234.png (20KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot234.png
20KB, 1280x720px
Love the game itself, hate the thousands of indie games that have copied its visuals, gameplay and even its HUD.

That industry has turned into a game of telephone where devs are copying the games that copied the games that copied Cave Story, which wasn't that original to begin with
>>
>>3600332
5 if you include Zero Mission
>>
>>3600037
Lite RPG elements and more emphasis on difficult platforming.
>>
>>3600413
Its a nice remake but I don't know whether or not to count it
>>
>>3600332
Since the 5th gen guy.
Fusion, Zero Mission
vs.
SotN, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, OoE

In fact, you'd be surprised on how many new age metroid fans have even played super, let alone II.
>>
>>3600412

ew, risk of rain is shit and can't even compare to cave story...
>>
Warning: Don't waste your time with Momodora

1-3 are literal shit and 4 is just barely good enough to cost money, not $10

I really hate the nu-retro faggots that keep pushing this minimalist pixel art as "nostalgic retro etc."
>>
>>3599804
Good game but I hate how the soundtrack was composed, especially the PC version.

Don't get me wrong, the actual songwriting is top-notch and remixes are excellent, but the fact that it uses so many horrible screechy waveforms in high octaves for instruments makes me want to turn the sound off. Normally I adore wavetable soundtracks but this is just terrible.
>>
>>3600037
I'm still pushing for the term exploration platformer even though it's not the most accurate
>>
>>3599957
The Genesis version will just be more restricted with sound and colorpalette. The DreamCast version has the potential to be better, but is poorly optimized.

>>3599998
Grats on the shit taste.
>>
>>3601012
well. even if its limited. it will have a true 16 bit exprerience.
>>
I'm surprised this is allowed. It came out after 1999.

I played the demo on Wii but haven't gotten around to playing any versions. I'll probably get the 3DS port.
>>
>>3601034
>I'll probably get the 3DS port.
just dont play the 2.5D one(aka cave story 3D), its terrible """"remake"""" in every possible way.
>>
>>3601034

It's silly that modern homebrew is allowed (the only Halo game /vr/ can discuss is the Atari 2600 demake), but no one cares enough either way to change the rules.

inb4 some autist reads this post and wages a personal crusade to rid /vr/ of all homebrew, including making false flag threads, just to spite the people who want newer games here
>>
>>3600059
>>3600037
>>3600042
If anything, they should give wonder boy more credit than castlevania
>>
>>3601071
Why don't YOU fuck off with your stupid "REEE" frog meme bullshit, go back to /v/ you fucking retard.
>>
>>3601115
I've seen people here get pissed about homebrew and try to get threads deleted because "le not retro reeee!!!111" I don't get it, it's a good way to allow us to have some fresh content instead of the same Castlevania and Final Fantasy threads every single day.
>>
>>3601186
No sir it's YOU who needs to fuck off back to /v/ for using such a derogatory term. For shame...
>>
>>3601191
Autists hate change. It's why they make for boring and stale conversation.
>>
>>3600079
Capcom didn't develop Castlevania though?
>>3600406
Capcom developed the Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
>>
It's the best retro freeware that wasn't developed by an established studio/based on a pre-existing game.
>>
It's pretty cool, but the "best retro-style indie game" prize goes to La-Mulana.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.