[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you guys think of any interesting things video games did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

File: poo.png (80KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
poo.png
80KB, 500x220px
Can you guys think of any interesting things video games did to work WITH limitations of technlology rather than against it? For example, I love the way Poo's trial in Earthbound and the final battle of Mother 3 use the text-based battle system to convey feelings you couldn't directly translate to a modern visual presentation
>>
File: latest[1].png (2KB, 256x232px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2KB, 256x232px
I think that random encounters is an early example of using procedural content to work around the limitation both of memory and manpower. You don't have to define every single encounter, but just regions and party lists.
>>
File: LoZ_1_overworld[1].png (184KB, 550x180px) Image search: [Google]
LoZ_1_overworld[1].png
184KB, 550x180px
Another one would be how maps are handled in rpgs. For classic rpgs like FF and DQ, instead of defining every single location, you can only visit the most important ones, and the rest of the time is spent on travelling, which makes the player feel like he is in the middle on an epic journey without feeling boredom because of walking through endless landscapes.

But on the other hand, Zelda and pokemon went the other way. The map is well defined but smaller. Every single place is interesting
>>
>>3598545
I still love the old DQ style of world map. Though of course you need to have a lot of optional and hidden locations too if you want to keep the feeling of adventure
>>
File: ground cero.png (16KB, 385x309px) Image search: [Google]
ground cero.png
16KB, 385x309px
>>3598520
I know in Might and Magic 2:Gates to Another World did a great job of it. Certain squares were instant death. They would describe in graphic detail how you died. Pic related as fok
>>
File: Sentinel.jpg (27KB, 567x178px) Image search: [Google]
Sentinel.jpg
27KB, 567x178px
I guess Sentinel... 3D landscapes couldn't be moved around in realtime so you have this utterly novel gameplay based on, well, it's difficult to explain by comparison to anything else. A static robot that can only rotate and absorb objects to gain enough energy to materialise copies of itself elsewhere. Procedurally generated terrain. Absolute work of genius.
>>
You know what Metroid Other M tried to do? 2D movement on a 3D plane? That would have been revolutionary back on the PS1/N64.
>>
>>3599025
C: The Contra Adventure does just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Raz0DBymc
>>
>>3598520
This thread is very interesting ;D
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.