[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Hard games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: SNES-Controller-in-Hand.jpg (1MB, 2500x1800px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-Controller-in-Hand.jpg
1MB, 2500x1800px
What are some notoriously hard games you've beaten? What are you planning on beating next? Heres mine;

Beaten:
>The Lion King (Genesis/Mega Drive/SNES)
>Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Genesis/Mega Drive)
>F-Zero (SNES)

Plan to beat:
>Mother (Famicom)
>Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (SNES)
>Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)

And remember, no save states!
>>
>>3598194
>not lost levels on famicom
Dropped
>>
>ITT: easy games that noobs can beat
>>
>>3598194
>Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (SNES)
Is it still hard on SNES considering it saves on every level?
>>
>>3598228
I'd say so.
>>
>>3598194
F Zero on snes is considered pretty hard? I beat it when I was a kid so I'll claim it.

Castlevania 3 and Rondo of Blood
MGS2 on EE
Ninja gayden trilogy (each individual game, not the snes port) plus the first 2 of the new trilogy
Dank Souls 1-3

Several shmups, the one Im probably most proud of is Gradius 3 arcade version
>>
Mother really isn't that hard. It just gives you new party members at level 1 so you have to grind them up a little bit
>>
I beat Ghostbusters 2 for the NES as a kid. Also Metroid if that counts.

Recently I went back to beat all the NES games that were too hard for me back then:
>Rocky and Bullwinkle
>Batman
>TMNT (cheesed the last level by farming scrolls early on)
>>
>>3598237
Just to clarify, for F-Zero I'm talking about Expert/Master difficulty, which is pretty insane.
>>
>>3598194
>Mother (Famicom)
Lel
>>
>>3598276
Yeah I remember back when I was 8 it took me most of a summer to beat the 4th difficulty. It's been so long since I played that game seriously so I couldn't remember if it was legit hard or just hard because I was a little kid
>>
Games I beat (for NES):
> all the Mario's, autismo-perfect if possible
> all the Zelda's, autismo-perfect if possible
> Ghost and Goblins
> Tiny Toons, Ducktales
> Contra
> The Simspons, Bart vs the World (a bitch game, that ice level)
> Hydlide
> Kabuki Quantum Fighter
> The Megaman'ses
> Donkey Kong Jr., Popeye
> Castlevania I and II ( III on my to do list)
> Disney's Adventure in the Magic Kingdom
> Gunsmoke
> Loderunner (all lvls)

probably more, those were from the top of my head looking at the games. Would have other lists for other consoles, specifically SNES games.
>>
>>3598194
Beaten:
>Classic Mega mans
>Ninja Gaiden I
>Castlevania I

Plan to beat:
None. I'm not really a fan of hard games
>>
File: bundy.jpg (14KB, 405x447px) Image search: [Google]
bundy.jpg
14KB, 405x447px
>>3598194
>Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)
I used to be able to get to the end (2nd time) as a kid, but couldn't beat Lucifer with the bracelet. Now I struggle with the early levels...
>>
File: tmnt.png (11KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
tmnt.png
11KB, 232x217px
>>3598194
Games I was proud of beating:
3D Worldrunner
Blaster Master
Double Dragon (used to be able to beat it most of the time)
Legacy of the Wizard

Would like to beat someday:
Punch Out

Fuck these, I give up:
Castlevania
Ghosts n Goblins
TMNT
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (28KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
28KB, 450x320px
None. Ever.
All games I beat were easy or normal (inb4 a fag says normal = easy).

Must be cool to beat a hard game, but the fact in retro games it involves mindless repetition until the right sequence of moves comes out takes a little away from the joy. I'd even say the skill is questionable in some cases, because it ends up not involving improvisation, mastery of controls and quick reflexes, just the "and at this ledge I jump, and after run until here and jump at this part, and shoot here..." that creates players who can play blindfolded. Memorization vs skill, even though I'm sure thera are people here who mastered instead of memorize the games.

I have Super Castlevania IV at home, but I never had the patience.
>>
>>3598238
The difficulty of Mother 1 comes from trying to stay awake while endlessly grinding.
>>
I beat SMB1, both quests, with no warp zones

I know that's only barely considered "hard" but that's the best I've done
>>
>>3600706
>never had the patience
>for one of the easiest castlevanias
Good lord
>>
here is a list of vr games i've done this year, not all are that hard, but none of them were a cakewalk.
TMNT Manhattan Project
Balloon Fight
Mighty Final Fight(1cc)
Diablo
Crash Bandicoot
Operation Wolf(1cc 1 loop on very hard)
Super Mario World
Double Dragon GB
Nemesis GB(1 loop)
Gunstar Heroes
Power Strike II(1cc)
MUSHA(1cc)
Knights of the Round SNES
UN Squadron SNES(1cc)
>>3600706
you don't need to memorize the entire game, unless you are really bad or it's an arcade 1cc. it's usually just few tricky moments/bosses that fuck you up, i use save states to figure it out to which saves a lot of time, once i got enough practice with bosses/later stages i do it for real. i'm quite amazed that there are still people today, that have enough patience to grind through the entire game/long level just to be almost instantly killed by the boss until they learn what to do.
>>
>>3598194
I have beaten Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts using my original cart... and by that, I mean, I beat it with the special weapon from the 2nd quest still in hand at the end.

SMB: The Lost Levels wasn't that hard, just daunting... but I have the patch to prove it.
>>
>>3598194

I can no-death run Battletoads on NES. Currently trying to beat CV3 using Sypha only
>>
>>3600823
>Trying to beat CV3
Well that's not too~
>using Sypha only
Good lord
What will you even do against double. He's gonna fuck you up like harambe
>>
>things I want to beat
Time Lord
Not sure if it counts as hard but I had to give up because I could not figure out what you are supposed to do to progress.

Holy Diver
Fuck me. I legit quit this one. Turns out I quit in the second to last room.
https://youtu.be/_qs3e9k3dWc?t=39m30s
>>
>>3598303
What league did you beat? I can't conceive a kid beating King or even Queen league on Master.
>>
>>3600828
>Time Lord

Nailed this game the other day as a /vr/ recommendation. In what stage did you get stuck?
>>
>>3600906
Wild west boss. I assumed I was doing something wrong but no, you have to spend 2 (in game timer) months shooting him.
>>
>>3598228
So does the FAMICOM version.
>>
>>3598228
It saves after every world not level
>>
Why would you play the Mega Drive port of Ghouls N Ghosts? All of the 8 and 16 bit home ports of Ghouls N Ghosts and Ghosts N Goblins are inferior in every way. They're a waste of time, especially NES GnG.
>>
>>3601728
becouse credit feeding is gay and without it these games are really fucking hard.
>>
>>3601576
You're supposed to use the handgun. The shotgun actually takes a way more to kill the bastard, for some reason.
>>
This game should give you several years of enjoyment.
>>
File: kid-chameleon-usa-europe.png (293KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
kid-chameleon-usa-europe.png
293KB, 360x500px
>>3603052
>>
>>3598270
>>TMNT (cheesed the last level by farming scrolls early on)
I always did that as well lol
>>
>>3600706
>Memorization vs skill
It's not one or the other honestly, most of the time you need your improv skills for shit goes wrong. Also some enemy patterns can be random at times.
>>
>>3603053
That's such a rad cover
>>
I beat Fire Emem Thracia 776
But imo it isnt that hard
>>
>>3598194
Abadox, Battletoads NES
Lion King, SMB LL SNES
Ecco 1+2 Genesis
F-Zero X N64
Dragons Lair, Road Rash 3DO
Trying to beat U.N. Squadron atm
>>
>>3598228
It is still hard, but it eliminates the tedious bullshit of unlocking worlds A-D, which required an absurd amount of playthroughs. Also, world 9 lets you keep the lives you had when you entered it rather than setting them to 1. You still need to 1cc the first 8 worlds in order to get world 9 though.
>>
This game had 8 levels and it is the hardest game I played recently.

https://youtu.be/46gaN0mCqcs
>>
>>3598194
Lion King is not hard
>>
>>3598194
>no save states
But...that's hard
>>
Plok is my nemesis
Also toejamaland earl 2 100%
Cold shadow
>>
>>3600828
>Holy Diver
>Fuck me. I legit quit this one. Turns out I quit in the second to last room.

There is a glitch-jump that you have to use to get up there... I saw this when they did the charity speedrun a few years ago.
>>
Anyone want to talk about the role of difficulty in games in general? It's a fascinating subject.
>>
>>3606265
>Plok is my nemesis

Never finished the last two levels as a kid, never even made it close as an adult. I love the game but come the fuck on.
>>
>>3607806
What fascinates you about it?
>>
Hardest games I've beaten:

NES

CVIII (American version, not the pussy J version)
Gimmick!
Takeshi's Challenge
Gradius II
Ninja Gaiden 1

SNES:

Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Mega Man X3
Castlevania X

Plan to beat:

NES
(not sure if this counts, as I'm not far enough to say, but the level I'm on seems hard) : Little Nemo the Dream Master
Project: Viper

SNES:
Hagane
>>
>>3607831
Oh, also I've beaten Mike Tyson's Punchout at least once a month for the past 6 years or so. (good drinking game). I really don't think that game is as hard as people say it is though. I can beat it without any downs pretty consistently.
>>
>>3607828
Everything.

But, slightly more than other aspects, the question of whether or not devs have an obligation to set, for the players, a predetermined level of difficulty that cannot be changed. This brings up the deeper question of the fundamental role of difficulty in games, because we need to know if a game can be considered a complete product, a finished representation of the creators' artistic vision, if it does not include and present for players -- like it does with numerous other aspects of a game, like story and environments -- a particular level of difficulty. And, to help gleam an answer that, one wonders what equivalent, if any, vidya's difficulty has in other mediums like literature, music, film, etc, and also how difficulty compares to other elements within the same medium.

Is it ethical business practice to put a price tag on a copy of an artistic work that isn't done? You don't see authors/publishers selling books without a proper ending, for example.

Not to sound like a moralfag. That's not why I care. The industry is irreparably damned at this point anyway. I just think it's interesting.
>>
>>3598228
my saves never worked so mine as well be the same as the originals minus the problem of when dying you stay on the level you died on.
>>
>>3598194
>Lion King
>Hard

Since when?
>>
>>3598194
As a kid I beat
>Gonnies II
>Ninja Turtles
>Ninja Gaiden
Now I cant do it. I tried to beat every game I played so theres probably more. But off the dome thats what I gots.
>>
Does Zelda Parallel Worlds count? Beat it not too long ago on the cart that I got. Would recommend playing the original ALttP before starting with that. Once I did PW was amazing besides some bullshit.
>>
>>3607892
>the question of whether or not devs have an obligation to set, for the players, a predetermined level of difficulty that cannot be changed.

I think difficulty options in games are good things in theory, but it works better with some games than with others. Some genres are harder to make varying difficulty levels that work than others.

As for how difficult a game should be, that depends on the audience it's being made for. Ecco the Dolphin for example is known as being a pretty difficult game, and it was made for an audience that wanted a challenging puzzle adventure.

Ecco Jr on the other hand is a similar take but far easier by comparison. But it's supposed to be because it was made for kids who might like the idea or setting of Ecco the Dolphin but find the actual game too hard.

So that raises the question of which game is better. A case could be made that the original game is better since with it's sharper learning curve and higher overall difficulty it demands more dedication and persistence from the player to complete it. And that's what most hardcore gamers would agree with because it's also the game that appeals more to them.

But I have a different opinion, I think they are both equally good because they are each successful at appealing to their own audiences. The purpose of the game is amusement and since different types and ages of people are amused by different things, so games are different as well.

>You don't see authors/publishers selling books without a proper ending, for example.

I actually see this a lot in books and movies. Endings or entire sections that feel either rushed, incomplete or just so poorly handled that it makes you wonder.
>>
>>3598194
>Hardest games beaten
Half Life 1 on the highest setting(PC)
Star Wars Racing(N64)
Mario Lost Levels(SNES)

Currently working through F - Zero X (N64), I can say Im proud to beat all cups on novice lol
>>
I've beaten Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil. If those count for anything
>>
>>3603341
It matches the radness of the game.

-Mega Bomberman. The final boss was really messed up. I had to memorize where the AI goes depending on my controller input.

But I'd say the hardest game I've beaten is Black on the hardest mode. I memorized a speed run on Spetnaz Gulag. I'm NOT the type of person to do that. That game is fucked. But that is not VR.

Other games I've been playing for 20 years and haven't beaten: Streets of Rage 3, and also Hellfire.
>>
>>3598194
Any game that you can automatically be good at by reading a guide without any practice or difficult execution is an easy game with no depth.

If reading a guide makes a game easy, it wasn't a hard game in the first place.
>>
>>3598194
When I told my buddy I beat Monster Party, he congratulated me.

Is it really that hard? I had to farm for health a couple times, but it really wasn't very hard. And I'm no pro.
>>
>>3598194
I'd say I've mastered Ghosts 'n Goblins and TMNT, both on NES, to the point where I can comfortably beat both without dying. TMNT is probably the game I've nerded the most to an almost ridiculous degree. Secondary weapons in TMNT simply removes the fun in the game for me because it takes away any semblance of challenge. I've even memorized the damage tables for the game so I know exactly how many hits each enemy will take by each Turtle both above and below half health and depending on what secondary weapon they use.

I've also beaten Battletoads after about a week of constantly playing and overcoming the trial and error and learning the game.

Also beaten Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on SNES.

Also beaten the broken European version of Rygar on NES.
>>
>>3603053
>>3609386
This is my answer too. Glad to see someone else love this game as it's one of my all-time favorites.

How many levels did you go through? I did the four-boss route that speedrunners normally do. If you did the max levels route I'm truly impressed.

As for me, trying to get best ending on Gimmick! right now. Level 5 boss and room leading up to him are torture.
>>
File: kidchameleonj.jpg (109KB, 640x893px) Image search: [Google]
kidchameleonj.jpg
109KB, 640x893px
>>3611061
Referring to Kid Chameleon by the way, in case that second quoted post was confusing.

The Japanese cover is pretty rad too.
>>
i beat skate or die:bad n rad but it took me forever to finally beat it worth it though
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.