[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Game Gear vs Atari Lynx

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: gamegear vs lynx.jpg (83KB, 601x575px) Image search: [Google]
gamegear vs lynx.jpg
83KB, 601x575px
Which had the better graphics?
Which had the better audio?
Which had the better game library?
What genres of game is each system known for?
>>
By better library I mean average quality of game not quantity.
I already know GG has 5 times more games than Lynx (and Gameboy has 3 times more games than GG).
>>
>Which had the better graphics?
Hardware-wise, undoubtedly the Lynx. That said it was under-utilised so I'd have to give it to the Game Gear based on the software that was actually released.
>Which had the better audio?
Game Gear by a mile.
>Which had the better game library?
Based on your addendum I'd give that to the Lynx. There are very very few bad games on it.
>What genres of game is each system known for?
Game Gear has typical Sega classics. Lynx has probably the best selection and quality of 80s arcade ports of any system up to the fifth gen.

They're both great systems in their own right and really cheap to get into right now. No need to choose between them, just get both and enjoy.

T. Avid Lynx and Game Gear collector and fan.
>>
>>3597226
I agree with you on what you said about the Lynx, I don't have a Game Gear, however. There are too few exclusive games for it. Most of its games can be played on the Master System and/or are downgraded Mega Drive games.
>>
File: mg_02[1].jpg (17KB, 199x153px) Image search: [Google]
mg_02[1].jpg
17KB, 199x153px
>>3597287
He's right. I also have both and I use the Game Gear to play Master System games as much or more than to play GG games.
>>
The Lynx is cool because you could play some games in portrait mode before the Wonderswan and you could turn off the backlight to save battery.
>>
>>3597389
Damn son
Do want
>>
>>3597287
You can't play any game gear games on a master system. Game gear games have more colors than the master system does. Think of game gear as master system plus. As >>3597389
Said, you can play master system on the game gear with an adapter. But trying to do it the other way around would cause the master system to freak out.
Game gear has a ton of great games. You just have to work hard to find them. And they are miles better than the Lynx or even gameboy in my opinion(save for a few select games and genres).
Only big area that the gamegear is lacking is in the rpg department.
otherwise it's a stupidly good and cheap handheld.
>>
>>3597613
What he said was that most Game Gear games are also available as Master System games or as Genesis games, which is true especially if you include all the romhacks that have been produced to run on Master System (or Genesis) on a flash cart

http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/GameGearToMasterSystem
>>
>>3597613
>You can't play any game gear games on a master system.
I think you misunderstand. The Game Gear is mostly full of ports of Master System games. Americans may not realise this because you didn't get any Master System games after Sonic 1, but in Europe the Master System was supported up to 1995-6. I'd rather play the Master System versions.
>>
>>3597617
>>3597621
I just re-read it, mad bad bro.
Ports aside tho, gamegear has a ton of amazing games. Both shinobis, Megaman, gg aleste 2, tails adventure, arena maze of death, vampire master of darkness, shining force sword of hijya, ninja gaiden, etc.
There are a shit ton of ports but playing handheld streets of rage 1/2, predator 2, hook, captain America and the avengers, sonic chaos, ax battler, fantasy zone, etc is still dope.
>>
>>3597629
Ninja Gaiden and Master of Darkness are ports. They were Master System games originally.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 403x226px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 403x226px
>>3597641
Once again, My mistake.
Still the Atari Lynx had 72 games released vs 233 on gamegear.
>>
>>3597687
I'd say the Lynx has more good games than the Game Gear, however. The Lynx library is at least 97% good.
>>
>>3597696
I guess it depends on what kind of games you like to play.
Another thing You would have to consider is actually trying to collect for the system. You would have a much easier time hunting down games for the gear vs the Lynx. I can't even remember running across more than 1 Atari Lynx game at a game store/flea market in the past couple of years.
>>
>>3597702
I've had an easy time collecting for the Lynx. It's not rare to find sealed, CIB games for it. They're also cheap. I found Ninja Gaiden III sealed a few weeks ago.
>>
Game gear has a few things that really killed it. The display is terrible even by early 90s standards. Have to pay >$100 for a Mcwill screen to make it playable. Second, hardly any games have a battery save. Which means either typing in some long passcode or having to play it all the way through in 1 sitting. When I play game gear, I just want to flip it on and start playing, not enter in passcodes (I'd have more patience at home to enter in codes). Since I use the GG mostly as a time killer when away from home, I don't get very far into games since no save, thus end up playing the same first 10 minutes.

Does the GG Everdrive allow saves? Or is there something like the Naki Game Saver+ that the SNES has?
>>
>>3597953
Hardly any games from that era had battery saves and most games weren't designed for saving.
>>
>>3597720
How much did you pay?
>>
>>3598005
$15 AUD.
>>
>>3598009
Nice score! Did the seller have any more Lynx inventory? I'm in the UK but could enlist help from family members in the Sydney and Perth areas to collect and post to me.
>>
>>3598018
Yeah, I also got Pac-Land sealed, so it included the two posters, which was cool. I bought them from my local games shop in Tasmania. They somehow always have niche stuff, like Super Famicom games, Lynx games, and, even a PC Engine once.
>>
>>3597989
You're wrong, snes had quite a few games with batteries, I own many of them http://www.dkoldies.com/blog/complete-list-of-snes-games-with-save-batteries/
>>
>>3598109
I don't really care about the SNES, I only care about good consoles.
>>
>>3598020
I have an aunt who travels to Hobart on a fairly regular basis. Tassie sounds like a nice place from what I've heard.

Does this shop have a web presence so I can scope them out?
>>
>>3598184
It's in Launceston, and no. They also only accept cash, but there's an ATM nearby. It's called Cunningham's and it is in Mowbray. They're pretty fair on prices, too.
>>
>>3597989
GG had carts with battery backups, just not many english ones. Most were jap titles http://www.smspower.org/Tags/MemoryBackup
>>
>>3597189
I've been thinking of picking up a Game Gear from Japan (YHJ or somewhere similar) so I can get one in a colour more interesting than office radiator grey.

Good idea, y/n? Will the transistors need replacing?
>>
File: IMG_3231.jpg (34KB, 414x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3231.jpg
34KB, 414x425px
>>3598128
Why is it so easy to trigger Segafags?
>>
>>3598246
If you want another color other than grey/black/blue then yeah go for it.
The capacitors will probably need to be replaced. But it's easy. Just recapped a game gear this afternoon.
If you don't want to or can't recap a gamegear you can opt for one of the later majesco units. They have better capacitors and better screens.
You should learn how to do it though, as the years go by and all retro systems get older everything will eventually need to be re-capped.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.