[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /vr/'s opinion on underwater levels? Do you like any?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

File: Underwater Bros.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Underwater Bros.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
What is /vr/'s opinion on underwater levels? Do you like any?
>>
>>3594202
No. I don't. I have a fear of deep water from almost drowning when I was a child and it has transferred to video games. Stuff like SMB is fine, but the more realistic it becomes the more cringe inducing it becomes for me. Not retro but the Leviathan DLC for Mass Effect was difficult for me to complete because of the deep diving.
>>
>>3594202

i find the water levels in this game and especially lost levels to be the hardest. hitting a ceiling bounces mario down really far and it can fuck you up. and the movement patterns of those bloopers are rather hard to avoid.
>>
>>3594202
No, they all ruin the momentum/pacing of the game and change the way movement works for at most, a level or two. They serve no purpose other than to annoy and break "rhythm."
>>
>>3594202
No, in mario music is shit.
>>
>>3594202
THERE PIZZAS A SHEET
I WAIPE MAH AYSS WITH THEM
>>
File: smwsoda.jpg (120KB, 899x673px) Image search: [Google]
smwsoda.jpg
120KB, 899x673px
>>3594357

>doesn't enjoy a fine waltz

pleb

Controls on SMB1 water levels are a bit janky though, same with 3. World got really great underwater controls.
>>
File: glacos[1].jpg (45KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
glacos[1].jpg
45KB, 256x223px
>>3594202
As a general rule i don't, but there are exceptions.
>>
File: ff5d005sn[1].png (16KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
ff5d005sn[1].png
16KB, 256x223px
>>3594403
>>
>>3594202
N64 made me hate water stages. Clanker's Cavern, Lord Woo Fak Fak, Boss Bass, fucking Unagi the Eel... Nope. Can't deal with it.
>>
I like them if they're spoopy

desert levels are the worst though
>>
They're okay. DKC is one of my faves.
>>
>>3594206
What about somewhere in between? Like say Jolly Roger Bay in sm64
>>
>>3594202
They can be good and they can be bad, it all depends on the game. Earthworm Jim's underwater level sucks, but Ecco is all underwater levels and is awesome.
>>
I don't mind them. People whine like babies about Jolly Roger Bay a lot, but I thought it was a great stage.
>>
Sonic's underwater stages are the worst. They do nothing but make controls more frusturating and make you stop for air. Not only is it poor game design in general, it is a completely anti-Sonic idea.
>>
>>3594564
This. If you don't mind the difference in gameplay, they can be really enjoyable.
>>
File: 1452867656565.png (395KB, 575x429px) Image search: [Google]
1452867656565.png
395KB, 575x429px
>hard = bad

neo """""""gamers"""""""
>>
File: dragonstrap.jpg (30KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
dragonstrap.jpg
30KB, 300x168px
Super Metroid and champions of norath ps2 were also good.
>>
File: ik304.gif (14KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
ik304.gif
14KB, 256x240px
>>3594353
But sometimes rather than the "rhythm" it breaks monotony.
Also best music in the game.
>>
UNDERWATER LEVELS, HUH?
>>
>>3595938
>water levels
>"hard"
no, they are just an annoyance. an unneeded one at that.
>>
File: legends2.jpg (63KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
legends2.jpg
63KB, 900x675px
>>3595956
Man, what a drag that was. Nino Island just sucked in general in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of most of the defense segments. Maybe I just suck.
>>
>>3595959
yes, I know facing a challenge can be quite annoying to weak people
>>
>>3594379
>Controls on SMB1 water levels are a bit janky though, same with 3. World got really great underwater controls.
True. This game and DKC are the only ones I can tolerate.
>>
>>3595998
If I have to go through a boss's patterns 5 times or face a massive amount of damage, it's "hard".

At 7 times it becomes annoying, at 10 times it becomes tedious, at 15 times you start to think "Did they even test this thing?"
>>
>>3594202
They can be okay if done well, but most developers don't do them well.
>>
File: bullshit.jpg (23KB, 290x226px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.jpg
23KB, 290x226px
>>3594202

They fucking suck and this memory just increased my stress level slightly
>>
Most of the time I actually LIKE underwater levels in 2D sidescrolling games. DKC, Mario, etc.. I find the water levels to be a very nice change of pace in these games.

I guess it's mostly just 3D games where water levels have a bad reputation for me, something about the 3rd dimension and water physics together just isn't fun for some reason.
>>
>>3597371
Spyro would like to have a word with you
>>
>>3594202
I usually like the designs/concepts but actually playing them usually sucks. Either shit controls or the threat of drowning constantly hanging over you or both.

I still sorta like the underwater sections of Jolly Roger's Lagoon in Banjo-Tooie after replaying it recently because of the oxygenated water gimmick and the visuals were cool, but even then the fucking boss fight in that level is ridiculous due to the controls/camera and seems to take like 5x longer than it should.
>>
>>3594564
Jolly Roger Bay is great, Dire Dire Docks is the real problem.
>>
>>3594509
Every game should include Enguarde on water levels by default.
>>
>>3594206
Have you played Psychonauts?
>>
>>3595998
>slower, less exciting movement for a level or two
>gimmick that is usually never seen before or since that level
>challenge
>>
The beginning of EVO is pretty cool. The controls are arguably more sluggish one you leave the sea behind.
>>
Best underwater stage, coming through.

Really, I think I've enjoyed every single water stage in a Mega Man game.

I also enjoyed the water stages of Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Donkey Kong Country.

Oh, and who can forget Breath of Fire? Does that count?
>>
>>3597836
I was gonna post Megaman Classic water levels, but I don't know if they really count.
>>
>>3597836
For SM64 I only really liked Wet-Dry World and for Banjo-Kazooie I only really liked Clanker's Cavern. Both are unconventional water levels that accentuate the platforming, not just "Here just swim down here into infinity". Jolly Roger Bay has amazing atmosphere but I really don't enjoy playing through it on a technical level. Same goes for Dire, Dire Docks.

>That long winding tunnel you have to swim up and down through to get to the other area for each mission that requires it

Make it stop.
>>
>>3594379

The controls with the frog suit in 3 are great, and actually fun. If it were up to me, every water level, you would automatically be given the frog suit.
>>
>>3598142
Yeah, the frog suit was great for those.
>>
File: ristar7.png (19KB, 638x478px) Image search: [Google]
ristar7.png
19KB, 638x478px
My favorite Planet
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.