[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sakura Wars thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: sakura taisen.jpg (35KB, 319x400px) Image search: [Google]
sakura taisen.jpg
35KB, 319x400px
I am looking to get into the series from the beggining, but as far as I search there is no translation for any of the /vr/ titles... that or I suck at looking for stuff on the internet.

Do I need to start from the non-retro US installement? Fan translation for the older games where?

Help me out a little and let's discuss this series, it got my insterest because some characters appear in Proyect X Zone and the background of these hooked me
>>
I'm so happy I could crappy
>>
>>3592798
>some characters appear in Proyect X Zone and the background of these hooked me
Those two are bloody awesome in that game
>>
File: Nothing_but_heartbreak_here.jpg (798KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Nothing_but_heartbreak_here.jpg
798KB, 2592x1944px
This is a very Japanese series. Just like how retro game stores here in the US cannot get rid of old Maddens for cheap in a bin, this series is the Japanese equivalent. Its time has passed, and will be unloved for many future generations.
>>
>>3594701
>for cheap in a bin
I was going to answer you in the previous thread, but wasn't fast enough.
Isn't this normal for any series with huge sales (and pretty much main system sellers)? Every Saturn and Dreamcast owner probably has at least one copy of each Sakura game, probably more. Of course second hand price will be low.

For me Sakura Wars is a series from another time, when everything was exotic, ambitious and pure.
>>
File: Verified.jpg (739KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Verified.jpg
739KB, 2592x1944px
>>3594747
Nope, see Nintendo titles. Say US SNES Super Metroid, beloved by all even in its day, still maintains its price. A lot of games still go for a bit now even with the abundance and popularity they once had ... Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, etc. are system sellers to me, and currently have a value above "if someone steals it from a bin, no real loss" like the aforementioned outdated sports titles in US or Sakura Taisen in Japan.

Granted, the series was not the system seller to me for Saturn nor Dreamcast. It is more like a Call of Duty kind of game where everyone somehow has to try it because it seems like everyone else is hyped for it at the time.

(Don't mind the image, I am just too lazy at the moment to take a new picture, so reusing old pics)
>>
From what I understand the Sakura Taisen series is mostly known for incorporating date-sim elements alongside SRPG gameplay. Is it still considered one of the best attempts at such a mix, or is its legacy just due to being innovative at the time? Are either the date-sim elements of the SRPG gameplay any good in comparison to the games that focus solely on one genre?
>>
>>3594827
This is relevant only for the US releases though. Japanese copies of popular games are usually in same "bargain bin" range. It's good and niche stuff that costs fortune.
>>
>>3595179
>Is it still considered one of the best attempts at such a mix
Nope. Even in its day, the tactical battle system is way too simplistic.

The simulation is pretty shallow too, the only innovation is putting a time limit on answering. It's just correct answers = higher stats for next battle and that's it.
>>
>>3592798
Unless you want to learn Japanese or read some guy's playthrough, your only options are to wait for a translation patch or just settle with watching all the anime.
>>
>>3594701
>Its time has passed, and will be unloved for many future generations.
Uhhh if you knew the first thing about the Japanese game market you'd know that the series is still held in VERY high regard. There was a Sakura Taisen cafe open until just a few years ago. There have been multiple (and very recent) stage plays based on the series as well.
There are a lot of cheap copies because, for a very long time Sakura Taisen 3 was Segas highest grossing game in Japan. Because of this (mixed with the Japanese used market being very different than the US) the game is very cheap used.

But sure, keep spouting stupid shit. Someone online will believe you
>>
>>3597540
I'm only speaking from personal experience. I do know about the many stage plays. Also I am aware of the somewhat recent closure of the café. I from my limited time in Japan, it did seem like it had some significance in its day, but as it seems to me, the Japanese market tends to go for the "next fad". I do not see much lasting appeal in the Sakura Taisen games.

The characters don't seem to have any sort of staying power or seminal influence as say a Nadia, Evangelion characters (which is the show where I remember seeing the first commercial to Sakura Taisen), or Nausicaa. It is a problem since the game series focuses on its characters so much.

In video games, the flaw is that neither of the gameplay modes hold up well, Tokimeki Memorial and Mitsumete Knight does a date game better in my opinion. For the SRPG aspect, there's Tactics Ogre/Ogre Batltle series, Final Fantasy Tactics, and not /vr/ Disgaea doing it better. I do agree with >>3596390 where the series did not mix the elements well enough.

I do recognize the effort Sega undertook to develop a non-grid-based SRPG for 3 in its day. I thought it was well done, and I feel Valkyria Chronicles carries that torch well.

I will admit to being facetious about how the games are bargain bin items in used game stores in Japan. However, I do not think it is that inaccurate of a metaphor with the way US used games stores treat older Madden games.

... but my whole 4chan life depends on people believing me.
>>
>>3597510
You can play first two games in Russian.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.