[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emulation hardware for HDMI output

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: astronaut02.png (20KB, 401x478px) Image search: [Google]
astronaut02.png
20KB, 401x478px
Hey /vr/. I only have room for a small flatscreen tv in my apartment, so CRT is out of the question.

What is the best hardware for around a hundred bucks to play emulators on? Windows stick? Raspberry Pi? Android stick? I just want to play comfy snes games and maybe n64 or gamecube. Not sure if I should go for wired or bluetooth controllers.
>>
>>3591342

$100

>SNES
well, okay

>N64
um, ah...

>Gamecube
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: beard-apple.png (45KB, 462x372px) Image search: [Google]
beard-apple.png
45KB, 462x372px
>>3591349
So, you're saying that dolphin is a no-go on a cheap windows stick? How does retroarch work on android with ps1, etc.?
>>
Buy a Wii, mod it and use component output. It does all of that and should only cost you like 30 bucks at this point.
>>
>>3591342

If you want to play gamecube for under 100 bucks your ONLY option is either a wii or an original gamecube.

SNES is pretty good on Wii for casual play. Only downside is the input+display lag, as many NES/SNES era games have tight timing requirements. Wasn't an issue when everyone played with dumb wired controllers + zero-lag CRT. Kirby 3 and Starfox bog down a little harder than the original hardware.

N64 emulation isn't great on wii, but it only sucks a little worse than it does on all the other platforms. Nintendo released official VC .wads for like ~20 first-party games though, so it's fine if you're mostly looking for Mario64/Zelda, not so fine if you want to play Jet Force Gemini.

Gamecube runs natively on the Wii, and the Wii can force 480p for all/almost all games. You can get a "wired flight pad" that plugs into the wiimote or a wavebird if you don't want wires. Easy as fuck to pirate GC games on Wii, just pick up a 64 GiB SD and you're good to go.

Wii ~technically~ has a PS1 emulator but I heard it sux.

If you want good performance use whatever old POS laptop you have laying around for 1st-5th gen. If it's modern you can probably use it for Dolphin too. Otherwise get a Wii for GC.

If you really want a dedicated box for $100, your best bet is either a wii or a thinkpad with no battery or HDD on ebay.
>>
File: AlexP.png (3KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
AlexP.png
3KB, 200x200px
>>3591382
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. Not sure if I have room for a wii. I was just going to try and install something tiny.
Between raspberry pi, windows or android stick, what's the best compromise for emulator performance?
>>
>>3591394

If you're a retard I'd go pi3 all the way. The clones are supposed to have better price/performance ratio, but the communities are all much smaller and you might have to do shit like compiling a custom kernel to actually enable 3d accel, weird compatibility problems, etc.

The pi is more targeted at the "it just werks" crowd. There's still some setup but it works pretty well.

I find it kind of hard to believe that the difference in volume between a wii and a pi is really a dealbreaker, but I don't know your setup. You don't need access to the Wii once it's set up (games on SD, wireless controllers, can turn on/off from wiimote) so you can tuck it away pretty much anywhere that has a little bit of ventilation.

If money wasn't critical I'd pick up a NUC with the new Iris Pro graphics, should handle Dolphin etc just fine.
>>
File: 1477495211264.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1477495211264.gif
4MB, 320x320px
>>3591394
Is your cellmate not gamer-friendly or something?
>>
File: astro.png (562B, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
astro.png
562B, 32x32px
>>3591410
Got it. Thanks for the info.

>>3591417
Haha.
>>
>>3591342
My living room is an 8' x 11' closet and I still manage to fit a couch. end tables, a coffee table, a Yamaha Clavinova, and a large TV-stand with a 34xbr960. Sometimes I also hook up an additional 27" Panasonic for dem scanlines, and I have shoe horn an endtable inbetween the keyboard and the WEGA because I ain't movin' the Sony.

You got the room, but you have to know how to lay it out.
>>
>>3591342

Just realized you said "HDMI" in the title.

The wii has no digital outputs, the best it can do is 480p over component. If you're dead set on HDMI you're better off with a Pi 3.
>>
File: bunnyblob.png (10KB, 364x386px) Image search: [Google]
bunnyblob.png
10KB, 364x386px
>>3591732
Yeah, I just wanted something simple that would plug in directly to my tv. I figured a computer stick would be best and I could control it via bluetooth.

So, a raspberry pi 3 would be better than either a windows or an android stick for emulation? That's all I really wanted to know.

Yes, a wii or a more robust pc would probably be a better option for sheer emulation power.
>>
>>3592079
Pi 3 is a bit slow, for $100 get an Odroid XU4 and install Lakka to an emmc or sdcard from the official website.
>>
i don't know much about tiny meme computers but i'm pretty sure you aren't going be able to emulate 64 and definitely not gamecube with one under 100.
there's a cheap little converter called wii2hdmi. as you might have guessed, it lets you use hdmi from a wii. it's one of the least laggy ways to do play wii on an hdtv, adds less than a frame iirc.
wired gamecube controller for gamecube games, no brainer. if you want to be weird about it nintendont lets you use almost anything you can stick in a USB port. for snes, classic controller, wireless and a fantastic controller in general. i like the classic controller pro, which has handles and a different layout for the shoulder buttons, but the two are very similar and both are great. for 64 either one works, anything besides the original controller feels awkward to me, especially analog sticks
>>
>>3591410
>>3592116

This is exactly that shit I was trying to warn you about.
>>
>>3592828
>step one buy Odroid
>step two install Lakka

It just werks.
>>
>I don't have room for it
t. the people who will soon spend their life in a coffin with an oculus rift strapped to their face a la the matrix
>>
>>3591342
>HDMI
Ritual suicide urself
>Raspberry Pi
Double plus good die.
>>3592831
My sides >>>/g/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.