[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think of MUDs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Discworld_mud_drum.png (72KB, 1280x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Discworld_mud_drum.png
72KB, 1280x1000px
What does /vr/ think of MUDs?
>>
>>3590562
Threads asking that question pop up every now and then and I never see them get more than a couple replies. I don't think MUDs were ever very popular, if they were nobody cares to talk about them.
>>
What was the name of that one that's kind of an real-time action tournament?
Noting like a regular MUD. A match would start and all players would run through the rooms opening passages and grabbing weapons and such and try to finish each other off. If the match goes on too long, Death gets impatient and releases "dogs of war" and then "large dogs of war." When someone wins everything resets for the next match.
>>
>>3590575
Well, I have a lot of knowledge about MUDs but after reading your stupid post I don't want to talk about them here.
>>
>>3590625
Well, tell us something interesting then.
>>
>>3590625
Okay, guess you proved my point that MUDs aren't worth talking about.
>>
i played on Aardwolf awhile back (like over 10 years ago), i think the level/remort/tier system back then was extremely fun to play
>>
Never played a MUD in my life (or knew they existed) mainly played text adventures when I was younger. Upon further research I'm an stoked to start when I get back from my vacation. Looking into the Chicago Mush MUD. Anyone have tips to play on android?
>>
>>3592516
>Anyone have tips to play on android?
Get a real keyboard.
>>
>>3592531
I have a bluetooth keyboard for android and I'm on vacation with a 5 hour flight coming up in 2 days that has wifi avaliable. So I would like to play now till I get back home till my laptop. So any suggestions?
>>
>>3590562
Full of autism and LARPing lite.
>>
>>3590575
There were some really popular MUDs, although the userbase numbers pale in comparison to MMOs nowadays, of course. But yeah, these threads never get more than a handful of replies. Not much to talk about, really. I used to play one for a few years in the late 90s, and it's long-gone now.
>>
muds are really enjoyable but they require a not-insignificant time investment. kind of a pain. it's hard to find ones where the community is active enough and the features are interesting enough to justify messing with it as well.
>>
>>3593178
hellmoo is pretty good, sindome is also alright.
>>
What's the cutoff between a Graphical MUD and an MMO?
>>
>>3593607
MMOs don't use text commands or abstract positioning
>>
>>3593636
Plenty of Graphical MUDs use concrete positioning.
Mostly still "tile based", but even that's not a necessity.

Not sure about text commands either.
Meridian 59 and Ultima Online both self-describe as Graphical MUDs.
Are they driven by text commnads under the hood?
Not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely unsure.
>>
File: Legends-of-Kesmai.gif (140KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Legends-of-Kesmai.gif
140KB, 640x480px
>>3593642

No, AFAIK, they both have custom protocols that consist of mostly binary messages.

Pic related was, I think, was basically a graphic front end for a text game.
>>
>>3593607
Probably because the designers of those games [mid 90's] where heavily influenced by MUDs.

Similarly, some purely text-based games have referred to themselves as MMOs, or Interactive Fiction, or something other than MUD.

The term MUD seems to have a strong association with text-based (for most people). Whereas, MMO seems to be preferred for modern (non text-based) graphical games to avoid confusion, or maybe for marketing reasons.
>>
>>3593792

Sorry, meant to respond to both,
>>3593607
>>3593642
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.