[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saturn thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: sega-saturn-splash-screen.jpg (37KB, 400x308px) Image search: [Google]
sega-saturn-splash-screen.jpg
37KB, 400x308px
I recently got an AR4 cart and got pseudosaturn working. So far pretty nice, but then I wanted to play Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, and the game freezes before I start the first level, it just freezes at the "Beginning" screen, and I can't even reset the console.

Is this a pseudosaturn issue?
>>
>>3589308
Should've just used the swap trick man. Now you have ruined an AR4 cart, AND you can't play games with it either.
>>
>>3589313

I can play other games with it, been playing some RSG and Thunderforce V just fine.
Also, as far as I know I can return the AR4 cart to its original firm whenever I want.
It's just with PD2 that I got this issue.
>>
>>3589315
With the swaptrick I can get PD2 work fine too, keep the AR4 functionality, and don't need to wade through a stupid fucking menu if I don't want to.
>>
>>3589319
Swap tricks will fuck up an already fragile cd drive.

>>3589315
Try a different cd image, a lot of Saturn rips where poorly done.
>>
>>3589319

The main thing that interests me about the AR cart is the extra RAM, for saving I'm using an internal battery and an official memory cart to backup data in case it eventually dies.

>>3589326
>Try a different cd image, a lot of Saturn rips where poorly done.

I was about to try this, but looking up online I've read people having the same issue with the game and pseudosaturn
>>
>>3589326
>Swap tricks will fuck up an already fragile cd drive.

This is a meme from the 90s that needs to die already.

It's not the swap trick that kills the drive, it's the fact that people use 10 cent discs that barely reflect the laser, and the fact that when people swap the disc, they slap the tray like how a pimp slaps a ho.
>>
Pseudosaturn has trouble with Zwei for certain revisions, installers, and hardware. If you're having issues with your particular setup, try another version.
>>
>>3589919
Or just get a modchip like a normal person, they are even cheaper than the AR4, and come with way less hassle.
>>
>>3589925
You should get an AR4 anyway, for the rest of its functionality.
>>
>>3589329
>The main thing that interests me about the AR cart is the extra RAM
The RAM in the AR cart will occasionally slow down and fuck up the graphics in 4MB games. As for 1MB games, it screws them up completely. Slow down is rampant, and sprites are often messed up (great example is Metal Slug).

If anybody is thinking about playing the Saturn seriously, please get yourselves a 4MB RAM cart (and a 1MB one too, for the games that glitch with the 4MB).
>>
>>3589950
>You should get an AR4 anyway, for the rest of its functionality.

What extra functionality? Region bypassing which is useless when you can patch games before you burn them, RAM expansion which is only used by Neogeo and CPS2 ports you can play in MAME (in superior quality), and backup memory which CANNOT SAVE INGAME, requires you to use a clunky menu to manually copy saves to the cart, and has a 50/50 chance of bricking the firmware?

Oh, wait, you probably mean the fact that you can cheat on games... I suppose I can give you that.
>>
>>3589951
There are a total of 3 games that use the 1mb cart and get screwed by the 4mb card, and it's NOT the AR4's fault, original carts screw them up too - the games were coded badly.

>The RAM in the AR cart will occasionally slow down and fuck up the graphics in 4MB games.

And this is completely false. Metal Slug runs like shit on the official 1mb cart too. I sold my copy (in one of the early /vr/ BST threads no less) because of that. I had two official 1mb carts, one official 4mb cart, and like three Action Replays. Metal Slug ran equally shit on all of them. The Saturn port is just that poor.

There were very early AR4 cards that did not work with certain later 4mb games, but there's a known fix for those. That's the only fault of the AR4 cards, as far as the RAM expansion is concerned. (also, very early AR cards sometimes only had 1mb ram, since the 4mb expansion was introduced later)
>>
>>3589972

>The RAM in the AR cart will occasionally slow down and fuck up the graphics in 4MB games

Examples? So far I've tried Vampire Savior and SFA3 and they work perfectly.
>>
>>3589925
Where can you buy a Saturn modchip for less than $35 in 2016?
>>
>>3589987
there's a guy in Canada who sells them for $27 canadian, but seeing how crap the USD was the last time I checked, that might be more than $35 US.
>>
>>3589991
Link?
>>
>>3589994
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=saturn+modchip+canada
>>
>>3589308
Not a pseudo problem. Try another rip.

>>3589313
You're dumb as fuck kid.
>>
>>3590016
see
>>3589919
It's Pseudo that sucks.
>>
>>3589980
I've actually had Savior glitch up on me a few times, but I don't know whether that was an actual issue with the Action Replay or what.

I do know that the one King of Fighters game I've tried ALWAYS has glitched graphics.

>>3589987
>>3589994
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/zer0-2k11s-mod-chip-and-installation-shop.43131/

Got mine earlier in the year, right around the time he was having stocking issues with them. After he actually got them, it arrived extremely quickly.
>>
>>3590036
>I've actually had Savior glitch up on me a few times, but I don't know whether that was an actual issue with the Action Replay or what.

Known fault:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040606231728/http://www.ncsx.com/ncs0330/ncs0413/schemax.htm

>I do know that the one King of Fighters game I've tried ALWAYS has glitched graphics.

Also a known fault. It's one of the three games that don't work with 4mb carts, official or otherwise. As I recall Samura Spirits is one of the other ones, forgot which one the third is (I think Real Bout Special).
>>
>>3590036

I've played Savior quite a lot already and I got 0 glitches, works like a charm.

I have yet to try the KOF games, but I've tried Real Bout and Real Bout Special, they work alright, have loading times but they use the 1RAM, not 4.
The only funny thing I noticed was that the Blue Mary song video at the end of the game in RBS has the audio desynched from the video, like 2 seconds. But I'm sure that's just SNK fucking up.

Still I know some games have problem with the RAM carts, even the official ones. I've read stuff like that. I need to keep trying games.
>>
>>3589326
>Swap tricks will fuck up an already fragile cd drive.
Not on a saturn. Only on a ps1. The saturn drive stops trying to spin when pressure is applied, the ps1 keeps trying and that fucks up the motor.
>>
>>3590049
>The mod as detailed below will upgrade the 4-in-1 Action Replay Plus adaptor to 100% Vampire Saviour compatibility. All cards shipped prior to this week will require this mod. New 4-in-1 cards shipping from NCS starting today will have the mod implemented.

Looks like this is for the older model of the AR4 cart.
>>
>>3590034
Pseudo does suck, just not in this case

the author needs to get his head out of his ass and open source it so we can get it finished
>>
>>3590049
Do you know if a combination of official 1MB and/or 4MB carts would solve the issue? I've been meaning to grab at least one just because they'd look better in the cart slot and wouldn't force me to go through that loading screen every time I go to play a game(to my knowledge).
>>
>>3590051
The three games that fuck up are
- Real Bout Garou Densetsu (the normal one, not the special)
- Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin
- KOF 96

>>3590060
Nope, read the bottom:
>NCS has noticed that some cards will cause graphical glitches upon initial boot-up of VS. The fix: reset the console and let it re-load for glitch-free graphics. Enjoy.

>>3590059
>The saturn drive stops trying to spin when pressure is applied,

If you apply pressure then you are already doing the swap trick wrong. You grab the disc by the edge and pop it off. There should be no pressure applied.

And note that the motor does not fuck on a Saturn drive. They use Mabuchi motors which are indestructible. What happens is that once the laser dies, the drive won't see a disc, and if it won't see a disc, it won't bother spinning up the motor.
>>
>>3590076
There are third party carts with a physical 1/4mb switch. I've had one before, they do switch properly, but I never tested it with any of the broken 1mb games to see if they physically switch the available memory or if they just change the cart ID.
>>
>>3589976
Metal Slug works well on 1MB and even the official 4MB cart with no problems for me. I'm was talking about additional slowdown; I know that Metal Slug is slower on Saturn than on Neo Geo.

On my AR4 cart the sprites are messed up completely and the game slows down even more. That's one thing you didn't address in your post; sprite corruption. It happens on 1MB titles. As for 4MB games, it's possible I got a shitty cart.
>>
>>3590270
I've played Metal Slug with an AR4 before and it played exactly the same as with both the 1mb and the 4mb carts.

The one time I got sprite corruption on them, the game also ended up crashing, and on reboot it said that it needs a RAM cart connected to run.
So the corruption was not caused by the AR4 itself, but by the fact that the cart did not make proper connection. Which is the fault of the console, not the AR4, and can happen to official carts as well as backup carts. If it happens to you often, you might wand to clean the cartridge contacts (I use a grainy pen eraser to scrape the crap off, then isopropyl alcohol to get rid of any remaining marks).

With the carts are properly connected, only 3 of the 1mb games display sprite corruptions when running with 4mb carts.
>>
>>3590295
I've tried it on 2 different Saturns and both cart and cartridge ports were cleaned. Same issue. I thought they all had issues, but if you say that yours works fine, then I guess I might just have an earlier revision which has problems. I've done some searching out of curiosity and people say that there is an earlier version which corrupts 1MB games and has problems with later 4MB titles like Vampire Savior, which sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.

I guess I just assumed they were all made alike and they all had these issues.
>>
>>3590308
>I guess I just assumed they were all made alike and they all had these issues.

The AR4 carts have a lot of internal revisions. Something like 8 or so minimum.
>>
File: Panzer-Dragoon-II-Zwei-Saturn.png (183KB, 584x371px) Image search: [Google]
Panzer-Dragoon-II-Zwei-Saturn.png
183KB, 584x371px
OP here, ended up shelling out $30 for a copy (disc only).

What a fantastic game this is.
>>
>>3590034
So pseudo sucks because some anon is using an outdated version?

>>3590065
Meh. There's enough information out that anyone who was able to to do anything useful could reproduce it. He's already done a good thing and doesn't owe anyone anything.
>>
>>3590758
>So pseudo sucks because some anon is using an outdated version?

Nope, it sucks because it is a catch 22, it reduces the capabilities of an AR4 card, and it's about as compatible as an emulator.
>>
>>3590778

>it reduces the capabilities of an AR4 card

Saving with the AR4 is unreliable (I got my files deleted before) and I honestly never cared for the cheatcodes. The best thing about AR4 is the extra ram and the region bypass (which I've read another anon said you can just patch isos so I guess that's not really important either, but whatever, it's one less thing I have to think about).

>about as compatible as an emulator

What's the list of games that aren't compatible with pseudo?

Anyway, I think pseudo is really cool. Not better than having a modchip but easy enough to do with just 1 CD-R, plus if you ever want to install a modchip you can still reset the AR4 cart to its original firmware.
>>
>>3590778
>22
When you hit that age come back and tell us all about your experience kidlet
>>
>>3590739
Fully worth it desu.

Zwei is incredible.
>>
>>3592120
Big argument from someone too stupid to be able to solder in a modchip.
>>
So how does Pseudosaturn work? You just need to download a program and then what?
>>
>>3594681
>So how does Pseudosaturn work? You just need to download a program and then what?

You need to download a firmware flasher application, burn it to CDR, set up your Saturn so it can load CDRs, then run the disc with the AR4 in and flash its firmware to the Pseudosaturn loader.
>>
File: ddss.png (404KB, 881x878px) Image search: [Google]
ddss.png
404KB, 881x878px
>>3594681

Then you need to do the swap trick in order for your Saturn to read the pseudo installer. Then you follow the simple instructions to install it, and that's it.
>>
>>3594738
>>3594742
So you need:
a CD-r
genuine Saturn game
?
>>
>>3594847
and an AR4 (I think other carts work too?)
>>
>>3594847
You need a Saturn that can boot backups, in order to set up your AR4 so it can boot backups.

Might as well just buy a modchip or a pre-flashed cart at that rate.
>>
>>3590065
Pseudosaturn is open source
https://github.com/cyberwarriorx/pseudosaturn
>>
File: 2016-05-21 22.45.10.jpg (234KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-21 22.45.10.jpg
234KB, 768x1024px
>>3594874
>You need a Saturn that can boot backups
>>3594847
a genuine Saturn game

You can do the swap trick once to install pseudo.
For the Model 2 Saturn you still need to open the case and put some tape on a switch inside (this is so that the disc can spin while the tray is open).

Modchip is ultimately better, but pseudo is a convenient, easy alternative if you already have an AR4. Never heard about pre-flashed carts.
>>
>>3594874
Any saturn can boot backups with the swap trick

If you don't have nimble hands you might fuck up the rotor in the long run, but you're not going to fuck it up by just doing it once
>>
>>3595150
>If you don't have nimble hands you might fuck up the rotor in the long run

You what, mate? All you need is grabbing the disc on its two edges and yank it off. A child can do it without harming the system.
>>
>>3595156
Removing is the easy part, inserting is where you can do real damage if you're not careful
Either way I was just adverting to the possibility
>>
File: 20161101_150521-1024x1820.jpg (311KB, 1024x1820px) Image search: [Google]
20161101_150521-1024x1820.jpg
311KB, 1024x1820px
Will this work with pseudosaturn?
>>
>>3595178

You need to keep the AR4 cart on the Saturn for pseudo to run.
Just get a battery for your saturn and transfer backup saves to the cart every once in a while.
>>
>>3595183
I meant, can I flash Pseudosaturn to this cart?
I've read some other carts besides the AR4 work with pseudo.
Thank you though, useful tips
>>
>>3595224
No, you can't, it's not a bootable cart.

You need an AR4, or some Gameshark variant.
>>
>>3595240
Gotcha, cheers.
>>
>>3595178
>>3595224
Just buy a pre-flashed cart from ebay.
>>
>>3595314
I'll just get an AR4 on amazon for $30. These are $60 for preflashed ones on ebay
>>
>>3595320
>These are $60 for preflashed ones on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Pseudo-Saturn-Cartriage-Console-Game-Japan-not-action-replay-copy-protect-/152301069195

>$23
>>
>Doesn't include a case
>Case costs ~$14
>Ships from Hong Kong
I can be up and running in 2-days with Amazon for less money. I'd really rather not have the board just sitting open
>>
>>3595367
>pirates games
>is worried about a pretty case

lol what
>>
>>3595395
I'm worried about the board breaking
>>
>>3595397
Why, you plan on using it as a Frisbee? Just put it in the console and you won't move it ever again.
>>
>>3595439
Oh good point you're right I will order this and wait 3 weeks to save myself $7 and half an hour of work.
>>
>>3595872
You save $7 plus shipping, plus you don't need to take apart your Saturn and fiddle around with a firmware flasher that fails half the time (shit load of people report issues with it).
>>
>>3595883
Shipping is free is and I know how to use a screwdriver. If it fails then it takes 45 minutes instead of half an hour.
>>
File: 1439471534586.png (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1439471534586.png
53KB, 1000x1000px
I have a Model 1 Saturn.
Gimme the best setup I can go for along with links for the appropriate modchips if applicable
>>
Does anyone know if there's a translation for Bulk Slash? I want to know what they're saying during the endings.
>>
>>3589308

I don't know if you're using Pseudo Saturn Kai or not, but Kai apparently works if you switch the loading method.
>>
>>3589313
You do realise that you can flash it back right?
>>
>>3598210
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/zer0-2k11s-mod-chip-and-installation-shop.43131/
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.