[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best Game Boy game? It's gotta be top 3 at least.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: 6163_front.jpg (102KB, 640x645px) Image search: [Google]
6163_front.jpg
102KB, 640x645px
Is this the best Game Boy game? It's gotta be top 3 at least.
>>
>>3588386
Pokemon has ascended past videogames into sport like chess.
>>
Why Gold specifically?
>>
>>3588386
Crystal is better.
>>
>>3588548
Crystal dumbed down the ice cave sliding puzzle because Americans (who have 10 pts less IQ on average than Japanese) couldn't figure it out.
>>
>>3588564
crystal is better
>>
File: checknkek.gif (975KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
checknkek.gif
975KB, 290x231px
>>3588564
>one fault
>over literally everything else being superior
Ah yes, you have a point. I forgot that clear choices shouldn't be made simply on logic. Thank you for reminding me.
>>
>>3588386
Gen 2 was my favorite Pokémon gen. It was a logical expansion of gen 1, and it was so polished. It was still the original Pokémon in my opinion. Like an expansion pack. I loved it.
>>
File: 155px-Crystal_Kris.png (53KB, 155x274px) Image search: [Google]
155px-Crystal_Kris.png
53KB, 155x274px
>>3588548
>Initial release date: July 30, 2001

Holy fuck, why did I think it was a 1999 game? Also, here's a negative; the girl's design was ugly as sin.
>>
>>3588386
Pokemon green leaf from gba is pretty good as well
>>
>>3588392
>into sport like chess
So not a sport at all then.
>>
>>3589105
How is chess not a sport?
>>
>>3589094
Still better than the girl they replaced her with in the remake

Kris was somewhat cute, but Lyra has no redeeming features at all
>>
>>3589126
Because it's not athletic in any way. Chess is a hobby.
>>
>>3588386
I didn't like Gen2 as much as a kid, though I've come to appreciate it more over time.
Recently bought a KO version of Survival Kids 2 translated and thrown on a shitty GB cart, and holy shit I wish I'd known about these games as a kid. I keep getting stuck, but the "aha" moment of combining the right items to make a new useful one is worth the frustration.
>>
>>3588564
im an amerifat and I beat the ice puzzle when I was 6, mohammed
>>
>>3589126
Chess isn't a sport as in physical activity, but is treated like a sport in terms of competition and entertainment.

It's not uncommon to see similar arguments made against (or for) fishing, automotive racing, darts, golf, billiards, poker and even cooking being a "sport" as well.

In the end you can do just about anything for "sport" but many people feel a "sport" needs to be physically demanding in some sense.
>>
>>3589105
nice meme, but you knew full well what I meant.

Realm of sports, chess sits on the outside since it's not athletic, but it's the quality of metagame that's important-- which is why it is seen as a "sport" despite technically not being one.
>>
>>3588392
Shitty analogy.

Not sport, more like culture.
>>
>>3588564
You are a complete fucking retarded idiot.

Because they streamlined a single section that adds literally nothing to the overall quality of the game, that makes it inferior?
>>
>>3589424
It's a culture as well, but I'm barely a part of it. I do enjoy the battle side of it, which is why I made my analogy.

Don't say shitty please I'm very insecure.
>>
>>3588564
>Implying the ice cave puzzle added anything to the game
>>3589103
The Pokemon games up until Gen 3 were pretty amazing. They had loads of content and the designs of each Pokemon were top notch for the most part. After Gen 3, the quality of the games declined slowly but noticeably.
>>
Gen II was fun but I remember being bummed out by a lot of things that felt uninspired or rehashed, like constantly running into the exact same low-level shit from Gen I (Rattata, Zubat, Pidgey). None of the Gen I tie-ins felt very interesting. The Team Rocket story was pretty boring, many of new Gen I evos just sucked (no one needed a baby Jynx), and while unlocking Kanto was initially amazing, there was nothing to do besides sweep through the gyms in a couple hours. I thought Gen III was better (especially Emerald) on nearly every level.
>>
>>3588564
The Ice Cave Puzzle was just annoying.
>>
>>3589449
>The Pokemon games up until Gen 3 were pretty amazing.
Gen 3 was awful. Shitty graphics on the GBA while garbage games like Golden Sun had amazing graphics. No night and day cicle. No days of week.
While Gen 2 was an upgrade to Gen 1 in every sense, Gen 3 was just disappointing.
>>
>>3589094
>Holy fuck, why did I think it was a 1999 game?
Probably because G/S is a 1999 game and Crystal is basically G/S deluxe edition.
>>
>>3589140
Sports doesn't require athleticism, and athleticism doesn't require a sport.

You can do 1000 jumping jacks a day and be an athlete, but that's not a fucking sport lol.
>>
>>3589402
>many people feel a "sport" needs to be physically demanding in some sense.
those people are objectively wrong.
>>
>>3588564
The Ice Cave sliding puzzles were always easy. Nothing felt different. Crystal is better.
>>
>>3591274
>athleticism doesn't require a sport.
True
>You can do 1000 jumping jacks a day and be an athlete, but that's not a fucking sport lol.
Also true
>Sports doesn't require athleticism
Fucking bullshit. If it's not athletic, it cannot possibly be a sport.
>>
>>3591282
>If it's not athletic, it cannot possibly be a sport.
Why? Because you said so?
>>
>>3591292
No, because of the fact that sports have to be athletic. It's an extremely simple concept, yet your ape brain seems to have trouble grasping it.
>>
>>3588564
They "dumbed it down" because IT WAS SHIT.
>>
>>3591295
>because of the fact that sports have to be athletic.
according to whom?
>>
>>3591298
according to himself, because he assumes he is the authority.
>>
>>3591298
Facts. And facts are decided by truth, not by people.
>>
>>3591295
>because of the fact that sports have to be athletic.
The international sports federation disagrees with your definition.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111028112912/http://www.sportaccord.com/en/members/index.php?idIndex=32&idContent=14881
>>
>>3591308
Okay, and the Neo Nazis are an international organization that says they're superior to other races. Doesn't mean they're right.
>>
>>3591316
You could make a similar argument to repeal the oxford dictionary.
>>
>>3590053
What's wrong with Golden Sun?

I never owned a GBA but my friends that did liked it.
>>
>>3591348
Dull as fuck game only liked because it was the best rpg on the gba at the time of release. Later on though we got much better rpgs like mario and luigi, mother 3, and the pokemon games. Game is infamous fir how pointlessly wordy it is too.
>>
>>3591348

I'm not him, but I enjoyed both 1 and 2 a lot on release. The pseudo-3d battle graphics looked great, and the rest of the game looked pretty good too on the older hardware (AGB-001 or AGS-001).

I tried to pick it up a few months ago, and, wew laddie. Long as fuck intro sequence (like 45 min) before any real gameplay, way too much dialogue/exposition, and all the characters kind of blend together. Real easy to forget where you're going etc, if you put it down for more than a week you're fucked when you try to pick it back up. Also the game was heavily color corrected, meaning it looks like over-saturated puke if you try to play on a 101 or emulator without color-correcting.

Reading people's thoughts was fun, though

saged for not retro
>>
>>3589428
Sorry, famfam.
>>
>>3591348
Wonderful graphics. Shit everything else. Boring, dull, generic plot, generic as fuck characters, with stupid long redundant dialogue, like in a shounen anime, where every character is shown reacting to something and repeating "What? IT CANNOT BE!" again and again.
>>
>>3591348
It's Beyond the Beyond with very slight improvements.

Beyond the Beyond is probably one of the worst JRPGs released without being unplayable
>>
>>3588580
Yeah, but I'm not sure if OP meant just game boy or game boy & gbc. If we're counting both that kinda widens the spectrum.

But G/S/C as a singular experience would definitely be my number one.

That credits theme still gives me shivers of nostalgia, and looking back it's still one of the best pokemon games. But the remake is objectively superior (unlike ruby's remake which felt hollow in many aspects).
>>
>>3589449
No Gen 3 is bad. The only thing it is good for is hacking (and most of those are bad too)

Pokemon G/S/C is probably the third or fourth best on the GBC.
>>
>>3591282
>If it's not athletic, it cannot possibly be a sport.
I used to think like that as well, but I had to settle with the fact that I'm not the one deciding what is and isn't a sport. In the end it doesn't fucking matter anyways.

If poker is a sport, chess is.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.