[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the PC Engine do audio?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: coregrafx.jpg (180KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
coregrafx.jpg
180KB, 800x600px
FM synth, digital samples or, PSG?
>>
>>3588072
I don't know. But it sounds like a game boy to me. Whatever type of technology game boy used. That's it.
>>
>>3588072
Wavetable
>>
>>3588120
What exactly is a wavetable in terms of videogame audio?

Which does wavetable match most closely in technology and operation:
FM synth, digital samples, or programmable sound generators?

Which does wavetable match most closely in sound:
FM synth, digital samples, or programmable sound generators?
>>
>>3588187
Are you that guy that asks a lot of detailed questions?
>>
>>3588187
it used wav samples
>>
It uses wavetable synthesis.

Without getting into complicated details, it let you have 6 channels of a 32 sample long 5-bit waveform. You could make whatever single cycle waveform you wanted for a great variety of sounds, but its essentially still chiptunes.
>>
FM Synth > Wavetable > PSG > PCM samples
>>
>>3588253
definitely this

although multiple PSG chips can sound good
>>
File: Namnlös2.png (2KB, 98x99px) Image search: [Google]
Namnlös2.png
2KB, 98x99px
>>3588253
>>3588257
Uncompressed pcm can sound like all of the above.
>>
>>3588252
Would you say that the wavetable audio found in the PC Engine is a more advanced development of the PSG technology found in the earlier NES and SMS?
>>
>>3588259
Nice meme, but pcm had to be heavily compressed back in the olden days, making them sound like shit.
>>
>>3588227
Are you that guy who doesn't care what words mean?
>>
>>3588187
>Which does wavetable match most closely in technology and operation ?
Digital samples.
Wavetables are basically very short looped samples.
The periodicity of these looped samples create a pitched sound.
The tonal qualities of the sound depends on the wavetable content, its waveform.

>Which does wavetable match most closely in sound ?
PSG, because in the case of the PC Engine, the wavetable players act as crude oscillators, just like in a PSG.
But the thing is that you can create you own waveforms, you aren't limited to only two square waves and a triangle wave like with a NES.

But in reality it's more complicated than that because the PC Engine chip can also play audio samples and generate noise (see http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/790/pc-engineturbografx16-music-for-beginners/)
>>
>>3588642
Can the PC Engine make sounds that are similar to the FM synth of the Genesis?
>>
>>3589380
Not really.
It seems like the channel 2 can modulate the frequency of the first channel, which means it can do some basic FM synthesis with 2 operators, but with more waveforms than sines (unlike the 4-op FM using only sine waves of a Genesis or a Yamaha DX100)

The only other way would be to use a wavetable with a kind of waveform typically produced by FM synthesis, but it would lack the envelopes for applying more of less modulation, and the 32 samples by wavetable don't offer much resolution for that.

If you are really interested in this, you should learn how sound synthesis works.
All answers I can offer are either too vague for the sake of simplicity, or too complex for you if you don't understand the principles behind FM or wavetable synthesis.
Play around with a DAW like Ableton, Bitwigor Reaper and a few VSTis like Chip32 (a very basic wavetable synth) and a FM synth like FM8.
Or better yet, experiment with PureData.
>>
>>3589503
Cool, I'll look into it.

Did any other consoles, handhelds, computers or arcade cabs use wavetable synthesis?
>>
>>3590307
Yes
>>
six channels of customisable waves like the namco N163 nes extension or that one channel on the gameboy

you could probably chain loads of waves together to make pcm samples and turn its music into an amiga or spc sounding module format idk
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.