[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

retro wrestling games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: smackdown 2 casket.jpg (59KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
smackdown 2 casket.jpg
59KB, 640x440px
BAH GAWD, IT'S A WRASSLIN' THREAD!

I never liked sports or sports games, but anything pro-wrestling related I really enjoy. Mostly because wrasslin' is filled with drama, over the top action, and of course "TV violence".

It's great to make your own wrestler and then play the season mode and then get involved in all kinds of ridiculous drama. It's just like watching wrestling on TV.
It's kinda sad though how the WWF/E games have been dominating the wrestling games for years now. They do a good job with them, but I wish there were some proper WCW and ECW games for some fresh angles on the genre. I want to play a game like SD2 but set in WCW with plot and everything.

Gladly the new WWE games let you play with WCW and ECW stuff.
>>
File: 1407106691300.png (26KB, 309x249px) Image search: [Google]
1407106691300.png
26KB, 309x249px
Here's a bonus George Costanza someone made.
>>
>>3587326
AKI games the best
>>
>>3587334
Correction. AKI-Man the best.
>>
>>3587339
I don't know, Dr Frank is pretty rad
>>
>>3587326
Fire Pro is my favorite. I'm currently making some saves for Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium.
>>
File: THE MOST ELECTRIFIYING GLITCH.gif (4MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
THE MOST ELECTRIFIYING GLITCH.gif
4MB, 200x150px
>>
All my favorite wraslin games are from early ps2. I even liked a few into mid 2000's, but since then they have become slow clunky and as non-game like as possible.
>>
>>3587481
I think SmackDown! vs. Raw ruined the whole thing. Here Comes The Pain had a pretty nice season mode with strict continuity when it came to titles and feuds, but SvR threw all of that under the bus in order to get more room for the cinematic story mode.
In HCTP you could win world heavyweight championship with Goldberg in Wrestlemania, and then start a new season mode with another character, and Goldberg would remain as the heavyweight champion from the earlier playthrough. In SvR all the titles were reseted after playthrough and you couldn't even compete for any other titles.

The new WWE games really have redeemed themselves with the WWE Universe mode. You can make your own pro-wrestling promotion with custom logo, theme, intro, and of course a custom roster. Fucking badass. The new games play more like simulators which is good for the realism factor, but I do kinda miss the PS2 era fast paced arcade wrestling.
>>
File: wwe stairs.gif (988KB, 473x266px) Image search: [Google]
wwe stairs.gif
988KB, 473x266px
>>3587461
>John Carpenter presents: SmackDown!
>>
>>3587491
The gameplay for the past few years has suffered. It is not a video game anymore, but interactive button presses, borderline QTEs for simple tasks.

There was a time when you could consider the fighting and design of wrestling vidya competitive. For the past 5 years I can't play a single game as anything other than a joke for 10 minutes.

I didn't hate SVR or the few after it either. I liked how many moves each wrestler had and the depth the fighting had. I also thought the campaigns of a few earlier ps2 games far out do most of what we have had recently (with exception they have sometimes done stuff like attitude era which was interesting)
>>
>>3587461
That's some Lovecraftian shit right there
>>
>>3587497
I recently tried WWE 2K14 and it seemed to play just fine. Simplified compared to the older games, yes, but still pretty good. You can no longer spam the counter buttons for example. I also noticed that the pin system has been changed from that classic down+grapple combo to a single button, and that I dislike.
>>
>>3587512
>The counter button

That is the issue in itself. We used to have two counter buttons and 10x the amount of moves, including heavy and regular alternative buttons.
>>
>>3587326
Those are some amazing graphics for a PS1 game imo.
>>
>>3587493
Which WWE game is this I'm drawing a blank. Wasn't this on ps2?
>>
>>3587326
Smackdown 2 was awesome!
>>
>>3587601
It was, but the gameplay is from the 7th gen console version. The PS2 version didn't have weapon physics, thus making what happens in that little gif impossible.
>>
>>3587601
SvR '11 btw.
>>
>>3587493
Gotta love Yuke's duct taped together frankenstein game engines
>>
>>3587531
They remade the entire game for new platforms with a brand new engine starting with 2K15
>>
File: sting disguise.gif (1016KB, 296x225px) Image search: [Google]
sting disguise.gif
1016KB, 296x225px
I wish there was some proper /vr/ related wrestling game for PC with online multiplayer so that we could have our own little wrasslin federation.

Perhaps someone will mod the shit out of WWF No Mercy in the future with online play capabilities, customizable arenas etc.

Just imagine... /vr/WF
>>
>>3587985
There's always Wrestling MPire or those WWE games on Steam.
>>
>>3587985
There's that Showdown 64 mod for No Mercy that adds a load of current wrestlers
>>
>>3588112

Showdown is real good, current version is a little on the buggy side but it's highly recommended.

There's also the AQZ Netplay Input Plugin for online play, which works with Project64 and vanilla AKI games but has a bit of trouble with textures/hacks. Well, it's more the emulator itself has trouble with them, the small pauses it takes to load custom content usually ends up causing lag.
>>
File: wrestlemania saturn.jpg (134KB, 640x994px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlemania saturn.jpg
134KB, 640x994px
Technically not a wrestling game, or at least not a pure wrestling game. It's a crazy 90s Mortal Kombat clone but with WWF superstars. It's a great game. Most of the time you have no idea what is happening on the screen because so much shit is happening at the same time.
>>
Still play WWF WrestleFest from time to time.
>>
I remember playing a wrestling game for the n64 that I rememver being fun, never realy a fan though outside of that. I need to go look for it and try it again
>>
>>3587326
yukes sucks dicks and wcw got two proper games by aki
>>
>>3587425
I really liked La Parka as a kid with a copy of WCW Revenge.
>>
OFF THE ROPES
AGAINST THE ROPES
>>
>>3587491
universe mode is ok but the 2K games are just awful.

pro wrestling doesn't work as a sports simulator
>>
>>3593404
If that were true, No Mercy wouldn't have worked so well.
>>
File: bret hart ad.jpg (27KB, 513x498px) Image search: [Google]
bret hart ad.jpg
27KB, 513x498px
>hey dad!
>it's Bret "The Hitman" Hart!
>BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.......!!!!
>>
>>3587443
You have been working on that forever! Hurry up.
>>
File: stone cold sonic.gif (2MB, 370x284px) Image search: [Google]
stone cold sonic.gif
2MB, 370x284px
>download fire pro wrestling for dreamcast
>it says it's translated to english
>it's only partially translated
>>
>>3593469
no mercy was more arcade style than the 2K games
>>
>>3587326
I loved WWF No Mercy because it played like a fighting game. I never watched wrestling growing up so that game is pretty much my only experience with wresling along with Wrestlemania 2000 I think it was called.
>>
>>3595280
No it isn't.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.