[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neo Geo Wii

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (10KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 227x222px
I'm using a Wii for my retro gaming needs on a CRT and am quite impressed. It runs cps1 and cps2 very well and I was wondering how well it does with NEO GEO. Is it full speed? How's compatability?
>>
FBA works p. good
>>
I bought a Neo Geo X the day it came out and don't have the heart to throw it away.
>>
File: DSC03424ARWsh s.jpg (4MB, 5081x3395px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03424ARWsh s.jpg
4MB, 5081x3395px
>>3586656
Some games work, others don't.
It's also technically possible to inject new games into the VC games they released, but it doesn't help too much.

The biggest issue is that the Wii just doesn't have nearly enough memory to handle the massive size of many Neo Geo games.
>>
File: 1458059948578.png (220KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1458059948578.png
220KB, 500x492px
>>3586820

>The biggest issue is that the Wii just doesn't have nearly enough memory to handle the massive size of many Neo Geo games.

This is the one thing that holds it back. FBA is damn near perfect emulation-wise but it just can't play heavy games, Metal Slug X and 3 notably. Surprised in all the years there's been a homebrew scene nobody has found a workaround. Just one of those things that can't be helped I guess.
>>
>>3587231

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall half the Neo Geo VC library doesn't work on emuNAND as it uses some kind of real time compression. You have to give up your precious internal space to play.
>>
>>3586656
Retroarch runs great but you're limited by how the emulation craps out on games larger than 22MB

very disappointing but at least I can play Viewpoint on my tv like a big dumb faggot
>>
>>3587252

>ONE
>TWO
>THREE
>FOUR
>HIT IT
>>
>>3586656
What I recommend, OP, is get a wad manager.

Many Neo Geo games were released on the Wii virtual console and it's the only way to really play Neo Geo games. Neo Geo emulators for it just aren't good enough. Luckily, most of the worthwhile games were released on the Wii VC anyway.

Here's a link to a ton of wads, including a bunch of Neo Geo ones:
https://mega.nz/#F!WRcEybiS!XkS89zjkXlgscw9AJjXwrQ!aAVl0RBJ

Don't forget to also pick up the program "Free The Wad" if you need to change the region of the wad to run on your system
>>
>>3587231
If you look through the link in >>3587313 , you'll actually find both X and 3 in there, and I can say at least 3 does work. Haven't gotten around to actually trying X from there, but if the latter works, it'd be weird for the former not to.

>>3587252
I actually put together an injected version of Viewpoint a few weeks ago, and it did load and play.

But the entire playfield was completely gone for whatever reason.
>>
>>3586656
Use fightcade on a laptop.
>>
>>3587706
Can confirm that I'd played X as a wad and it works great. 4 works fine too, and any other Neo Geo wads from that link.
>>
>>3587848
Can't remember if that's the same as a version of X I installed a year or two back. I do remember that that one took out the flashing and some of the explosions when you fight bosses.

Either way, they're much easier to get up and running properly than the hacked Anthology version on the PS2.
>>
>>3586656
>not having an AES and paying $>9000 for each game
pleb
There is literally no reason to not emulate neo go unless you bought one before the hipster invasion. This is coming from a guy who has several.

>>3586665
>my mommy never made me take the trash out
Trash belongs in the trash buckaroo.
>>
File: 1459630587376.jpg (81KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1459630587376.jpg
81KB, 557x605px
>>3587313

>tfw these wads actually work on nand and emunand alike

Thank you based god. Think I had a bad batch before.
>>
>>3589141
>Think I had a bad batch before.
It happens. PS1 emulation can also be extremely finnicky, and different dumps of different roms can have wildly different results. Sometimes all you need to find another source for something to work correctly.
>>
>>3588407
you can go the cmvs way, but yes, neo geo emulation is quite accurate right now.

If you have a lust for a real system, consolize a mvs board, you can have one them for less than 100$, and then buy some multicarts on aliexpress but for god's sake don't buy a neo geo x
>>
>>3587313
Can someone explain putting these on my USB drive I use for Wii games? Or do they gotta go on SD?
>>
>>3589803
where are you finding these mvs boards to consolize under 100
>>
>>3589979
Ebay. got mine last summer for $85 tested and working, just look for something simple like a mv1fz, there are a gazillion of these out there, the ones with built in ports and more slots are pricier. Don't stick to one "untested" unless you are good troubleshooting IC's.
>>
>>3589942
It's usually always better to use SD for most installations anyhow. USB is probably fine though.

What you need is the program Yet Another Wad Manager Mod (YAWMM). Download that, place that on your removable storage device of choice, then load it up in your Wii and install it.

Create a folder on your storage device named "wads". Download whatever wads you want and place them in there (and use the program Free The Wad to change their region to region-free, if you're not NTSC-U. If you don't do this, your machine could brick, although it's unlikely).

With YAWMM installed, you simply open it in the homebrew channel, then select your wad folder, and then the wads you want to install. Note that wads install to the direct memory of the system only, so you may need to free up some internal storage space first.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
>>
>>3590726
Yet Another Wad Manager Mod didn't work for me

I used Multi Mod Manager and needed to installed IOS236 (make sure you say you're not using it for piracy or it will lock you out) before using it to install the wads
>>
>>3587313
Is the massive slowdown in Metal Slug normal? I don't remember it doing that but then again I was 8 when I played it on an actual cabinet
>>
>>3589979
Japan.
>>
>>3591019

Yes, very normal. 2 is the only Metal Slug where the Slowdown was so horrific they just did it over as X. You can actually remove the slowdown in emulators by overclocking the Neo Geo CPU speed, though it doesn't apply for virtual console obviously.
>>
>>3586665

It's not that bad once you jailbreak it. The battery life is a goddamn joke, though.
>>
>>3590726
You're very kind. Thanks much for the help!
>>
>>3590925
>Yet Another Wad Manager Mod didn't work for me
Is your machine updated to the final patch? That might be the problem.

>>3591019
Yep. I have the Saturn version and it has a lot of slowdown, which incidentally makes it surprisingly easy.

>>3591538
No problem, glad to be of help.
>>
>>3592172
>Is your machine updated to the final patch? That might be the problem.
Yea, I can roll it back with MMM but given that I can install wads with MMM anyway it's pretty pointless
>>
>>3587231
what about neogeo cd version? could even use the code as a base to strip down the cart versions.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.