[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people hate RE tank controls? Even when I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3492.png (70KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3492.png
70KB, 320x240px
Why do so many people hate RE tank controls? Even when I was 14 years old I liked and understood them.
>>
>>3583878
It doesn't feel as smooth as the other type.
But I don't mind it.
>>
They make quickly aiming at jumping enemies or turning away and running kind of a bitch, but that's the point.
>>
>>3583878
They actually aren't that bad once you understand the controls. I would like to see modern games ultilize cinematic camera angles again
>>
>>3583878
I never had problems with tank controls in RE, mostly thanks to the developers not putting me in situations where they'd become a detriment.

The 180 turn though is a big improvement, especially during boss fights. The slow bosses in RE1 and 2 are fine without it, but when it comes to Nemesis it's a must have and there it is. The guys at Capcom did just fine, still play those games.
>>
Some people are actual idiots who cannot handle controlling a subject through a PoV to save their lives, and worse, they cannot even fucking try to adapt.
It's why games like Ace Combat had to be casualized as well.

Others legitimately hate it out of being sluggish for combat or during a panic, but like the anon before said, that's kind of like the point. Besides, it works with changing camera angles. These at least, I can respect their opinion.
>>
When RE came out the only other game like it was AitD so it was still a new control scheme at the time making it unfamiliar and challenging.

Now after a few generations of tank controls being the standard for golden era survival horror, I think it's people don't like classic RE style games not the controls these days
>>
>>3583878
Because they suck. It isnt that we dont understand, we do understand them. They are just bad. They werent even that bad for the time, the game was pre-analogue stick and werent bad for the time. Compared to the improved controls we enjoy today they are shit.
>>
>>3586016
So what your saying is

it aged poorly?
>>
>>3585836
I don't think you know what "casualized" means, so go back to /v/
>>
>>3586054
The controls did.

Even when they released HD versions of the game, they make improvements to the controls. The voice acting is also shit now, but not bad for the time.
>>
>>3583878
Analog controls are just better, half the challenge of games with tank controls is just that, mastering the controls, being bothered to fight with them these days isnt something a lot of people can be bothered to do if they didnt play any of the 5th gen.
>>
>>3583891
>but that's the point.
Exactly.

A survival horror game with easy controls is like an on-rail shooter with auto-aim. It defeats the purpose of the genre.
>>
>>3583878
They made sense at the time, when the PS1 had no analog sticks. Especially with the fixed camera angles and all, 8-directional movement would've been awkward as hell.

But there was no excuse for having them once analog controls were introduced. It felt awkward and stiff, like they didn't even try to implement the analog controls properly.
>>
>>3583878
People who didn't grow up with these games are the vocal majority that can't enjoy them now. My baby brother who is from '98 has admitted that he would rather play the Over-the-shoulder Resident Evil games simply because the controls feel better. Me, I can jump into a Resident Evil game with the tank controls and feel right at home but there have been friends who played these games with me back then who have trouble now so I'm going to backpedal and say it's just on a case by case basis.
>>
>>3586431

If that's the point, why did devs make a quick turn command? They even had it on the original release of RE2.
>>
>>3586705
>They even had it on the original release of RE2.

RE2 had it at some point? And it got removed?!
>>
>>3586016

It doesn't matter if you're analogue or not. The games use a fixed camera angle to create it's atmosphere and require a uniform sense of direction.

You want to see a perfect example? Go play Grim Fandango remastered on Playstation or Xbox with the non tank controls set on and watch what happens when you enter a new area. You run smack into a wall or off in some dumb direction.

Now imagine that in a game with actual monsters that can kill you.
>>
File: clarebutt.jpg (500KB, 900x855px) Image search: [Google]
clarebutt.jpg
500KB, 900x855px
RE 1-3 are my favorites, but I still don't like tank controls. In the context of those games, I will play with them because the games are designed with tank controls in mind.

The jump to analog movement was such a huge, huge improvement for 3D games of all kinds. Having played many survival horror titles over the years, I don't believe that losing tank controls has made the genre worse.

Going back to tank controls is not an issue. If you complain about old games playing like old games, you are on the wrong board. I still prefer analog controls, and if I have a choice (like in RE:Make), I will go with the analog option.
>>
>>3586752
Is that supposed to be attractive? The ass is really offputting. It's not proportioned or symettrical - the cheeks don't even match. And the shorts are bunching the buttock in really weird unrealistic way.

I really hope noone here jerked off or got a boner to this. Have some standards, people!
>>
>>3586016
people with basic motor control had no problem. you probably blame the controls in every game you lose
>>
>>3586408
what OP is saying is that he didn't have to fight the controls, they worked fine and were logically laid out. i agree. considering the changing camera angles, the control scheme they used is the only one that makes sense
>>
>>3586705
>re2 has quick turn
nice meme
>>
>>3586752
>I don't believe that losing tank controls has made the genre worse.

NO of course not. But like you said the games ARE built to accommodate them so calling them shit is just fallacy because they are perfectly functional and suited to the games they're used in.
>>
Because a lot of people lose their immersion when the control scheme poses more danger than the enemies on screen.
>>
for that camera angle the controls are perfect. it takes some time to get used to, but for that's about 5 minutes into the game and it just feels natural.

there must be something wrong in people's heads.
imagine how they would adapt in the wild...evolution, dude's.

and no...I didn't grew up with those controls. first RE i played was the 4th one.
>>
>>3586442
The undrage folks might find it hard to believe, but some people might have gotten comfortable with tank controls and didn't need a whole controller revamp between games.
>>
>>3586054
Played RE for the first time today, it didn't age poorly at all.
>>
also if you analog is more preferable to dpad in horror to you, you killed horror in gaming
>>
>>3583878

It's just because modern games have a very same-y control scheme. Basically they all play the same. So people can spend their entire lives only playing ONE kind of control style.

Then they go to some older game like RE and it's just so alien to them.
>>
>>3587092

Even in Dino Crisis when the enemies are faster they all have plenty of tells and signs to let you know when to get out of the way and how. They're not coming at you like Ninja fucking Gaiden
>>
>>3583878
because most people are retards unwilling to adapt
it's why most modern games play the same

go look at some AVGN and count the times he says something like "WHY CAN'T I JUMP LIKE IN MARIO??", "WHY CAN'T I SHOOT LIKE IN CONTRA??" etc.
people like him are the majority unfortunately
>>
>>3583878
Probably N64 babies crying "why is this allowed after muh Mario 64/Goldeneye".
>>
>>3587171
They are the same because they found out what work.It took over decade but there is a best control scheme. Kind like how cars use a steering wheel instead of levers.
>>
I got used to tank controls on NOMAD on the Spectrum and have been okay with them ever since.
>>
File: 1470082970536.jpg (36KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1470082970536.jpg
36KB, 960x540px
There is nothing wrong with the concept of tank controls. You're a shitty casual if you can't handle them, period.

For reference, it's no difference than the people who complain about not being able to move while aiming in RE4 or 5. The game is BUILT around this mechanic, and it's that tiny bit of realism that is essential to some games. RE4 would be suddenly goofy and retarded if you could jump 5 meters in the air. In fact, that laser corridor scene is ridiculous and completely out of place in that game. Anyone who ever shot anything can figure out why it's not realistic at all to shoot with pinpoint accuracy while moving.

Yes, camera angles can be an issue in RE and SH, but that has nothing to do with tank controls.
>>
>>3586752
>sonic 3 font
Kek
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.